4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay CV Axle installed with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 01:01 PM

Ebay CV Axle installed with pics

After almost two weeks of being installed, I finally have the time to post up a small review and a few pics of the CV axle I bought from the ebay seller 6512cv. The install went pretty nicely, and me and a couple of buddies were able to do it in a fairly efficient manner.
Here is the ebay link to an example of their axles: Click here.
The only gripe I may have, and is not really a big conern IMO, is that the packaging was a little poor. But to be honest, axles have to deal with much more of a beating when driving than shipping...
Anyways, I got this "new axle" for $65 shipped, and it came within the first week IIRC.
While I cannot comment really well on the quality of this axle due to the fact I've never seen or held a Raxles axle, which I'm sure is better quality and should be for triple the price that I paid for mine, I can say safely I am completely satisfied with my axle purchase.
In the ordering process, I was worried at first because there were no instructions to contact the seller with the info about my car, nor was there a follow-up email inquiring about it. So I took the initiative, and sent them an email notifying them I had a 5 speed, needed a driverside axle, with ABS. Not to say I should have been surprised by this, but the seller emailed me THAT day thanking me for telling them the info, and assured me that I would recieve the correct axle.
I have had my car up to 60 mph, and have accelerated very hard in first (something I haven't been able to do with my old DS axle), and can say safely there are NO vibrations. It is a very comfortable ride, especially compared to my dying old axle.
Anyways, the pics will be in the following posts, please excuse the axle grease covering my suspension components and wheel well, the install took place in my college's parking lot.
If you want a short version, I am very happy with my $65 purchase, and could not have asked for more as far as customer service and [initial] quality goes. I am completely satisfied, and am enjoying the healthy cv axle to its fullest extent
Pics will follow as I said
Lou

edit: fixed
Old 11-10-2005, 01:10 PM

Please no comments on the grease, it's coming all off on Thanksgiving Break.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I hope the axle works out for you. I must say it's not really fair to make any assumptions on quality until you've had the axle on the car for a bit. The real question is how the axle will be in 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yrs even.

I look foward to seeing the pics.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
I hope the axle works out for you. I must say it's not really fair to make any assumptions on quality until you've had the axle on the car for a bit. The real question is how the axle will be in 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yrs even.

I look foward to seeing the pics.
Perhaps, but as I said I couldn't really make a fair assessment of quality when I was referring to Raxles axles.
If anything, I'm just glad these have their two year/24k mile warranty. This seller has a lot of good feedback.
The grease on the axle boot is from the old axle by the way. I'm telling you, my clothes were wrecked from that day, and my hands didn't come clean for a week and a half...haha.

In my frustration trying to resize, I accidentally deleted the pics of the axle when it wasn't installed...I can't believe I did that actually.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Good work. It's the passenger side that has the troublesome c-clip and is difficult to seperate from that bracket right?

Indeed, for those of us doing the work ourselves, saving money on parts makes sense (there are exceptions to this too...). If I was paying someone for labor, I'd use raxles - so that I minimize the chance of having to pay for labor again (at the additional upfront expense of parts).
Old 11-10-2005, 01:35 PM

To be honest, the only thing about axles that I know right now is the driverside replacement; I payed absolutely no attention to the passenger side instructions since mine is all set for now.
There has been a little question about these axles, and if the seller is legit, and I just wanted to take the opportunity to experiment for the .org a little bit (consider this my donation until I pony up the cash... )
I was either going to test out this axle, or go to advance auto parts for one, so since these were cheaper (even without having to return for a core charge) and advertised as new, and the seller had such great feedback, I figured I'd either hit or miss. Luckily as of right now, I have hit (-knocks on wood-). Thanks for the response.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Team Ramrod

Glad to see it worked out for you. I payed $60 for my driver's side a few months ago from advance auto... everything went smoothly. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have one from the same guy hopefully coming tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes with mine.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM

I can only hope you are as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Good work. It's the passenger side that has the troublesome c-clip and is difficult to seperate from that bracket right?
no only the drivers side has the C clip and its not that bad at all as long as you have two people to push it in the tranny. passenger side is very easy unless the three bolts are rusted on, either way pb blaster is your friend
Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM

Well, I will say this, it was a lot harder getting the axle out and the new one in than what I had expected. You had to pull and push much harder than what I had thought I was going to.
I'm just thankful that my mechanic screwed up the dates when I scheduled to get my axle and STS done before I brought my car to college (I would have planned on doing it if I wasn't going to be on a huge time crunch). A couple DSM guys helped me out greatly up here, and had some good suggestions to combat the corrosion on the underbody when dealing with my stock shifter. Now I just have to cut one bolt, and I'll be able to get the old shifter out when I'm home next week. His mistake (my mechanic's) saved me a whole lot of money...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Wild for Width

BigLou, I did mine with a fellow orger a few weeks ago, hope it stays a "hit"
Old 11-24-2005, 09:35 AM

Somehow my pictures weren't deleted, so here are pics of the ebay axle uninstalled:

Old 11-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

how are da axles running?? i need to buy new axles badly!!! im thinking on buying some axles from da same guy u bought them from on ebay.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:20 PM

My driverside is performing without a hitch, no vibrations whatsoever. It was worth it to me, I just hope that it holds up to the test of time.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:08 PM

I bought mine from the same seller and it works great.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:57 PM

ok I need a new driver side axle and I remember seeing this thread so I know it hasnt been too long but everyone is still pleased with the product from ebay? Any problems arise...
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 PM

Not yet - over 1000 miles driven, most of them doing at least 75 mph, and doing up to 90 for extended periods of time, and haven't had the slightest bit of vibration yet. I am still very pleased with the product.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 PM

Freakin' DS CV!!!

Good grief! Why is the driver's side CV such a problem? Mine is about to go out on me too! Maybe I should buy from this guy. He should be paying you guys for all the cash he's getting from everyone else on this site.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by White2theMax
Good grief! Why is the driver's side CV such a problem? Mine is about to go out on me too! Maybe I should buy from this guy. He should be paying you guys for all the cash he's getting from everyone else on this site.
Hell, a refund for my troubles wouldn't be too much too ask now, would it? Haha