4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ecu 10 08 Evap Purge Volume Control Valve: Help Me Plz?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:48 PM

Ecu 10 08 Evap Purge Volume Control Valve: Help Me Plz?!

Hi guys, i have a problem. well, many problems, but the one with my car being the most important to me ATM. I was backing out of my driveway today, forgot to start my car and put it in reverse. Noticing that, i put it back in park, turned on the car and proceeded down the driveway. At that time, my fking CEL came on. I just checked the codes and came up with code 10 08: EVAP canister purge volume control valve. I checked out this link http://www.jcn.net/mwest/evappage.htm to get some more info. Does anyone have any better detailed description on this / how long it takes to replace / how much it would/should cost? I really want to do this myself because i have neither the time nor money to spend on taking it to somewhere to get it fixed. Can someone PLEASE help me? i'm a noob to cars, but if given good instructions, i could probably fix it with help from my friend. Is this a big threat to the driveability of the car? Im also going to check my belts tomorrow because when i did start after rolling in reverse for a bit, something SQUEEEEEEELED for like 15 seconds till i turned my car off. then it squeeled again. now it squeels a little every time i start. omg cars are such a headache and i want to cry x*( ***praying i don't have to take it somewhere because that would put off my new struts which i desperately need as well...***
Old 11-13-2005, 12:09 AM

ive had that code for over a year now. used a snapon scanner to clear the code and it comes back in about a week. hasnt really affected performance much so i just leave it.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Maxima lover

I had that code and just kept ignoring it. Then it came time to pass emissions and apparently they can tell that your ECU has been cleared or reset recently and they refused to test me. Since I was in a hurry, I took it to my Nissan mechanic and they figured out all the parts in the EVAP worked fine, but it was a computer problem and I needed an ECU. I may have had a rare experience, but you may want to make sure what you are replacing in the EVAP system is really broken or you could end up spending quite a bit of money and not even fix the problem. Good luck

Old 11-13-2005, 01:36 AM

emissions...

thanks for the feedback guys. BUT here's a problem i forgot to mention... i too have to pass emissions... this month! should i take it to Nissan? can i not pass emissions with my ecu throwing a code? i live in NJ and im pretty sure that the state is tough on emissions here, and... how much does a new ecu cost? (hoping it doesn't come to that) anyone know how much the parts would cost offhand? im really hoping it's just a disconnected or cracked hose or something easy to fix. otherwise im pretty ****ed.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Maxima lover

You won't pass emissions if your throwing any code, especially an EVAP code. It may not be the ECU, but that was my problem. I finally just got enough driving history on my ECU (about 150 miles) before my check engine light came on, and it passed. It took 4 or 5 times though, because either the CEL would come on, or the emissions place said I didn't have enough driving history on the ECU. Find the purge valve, check the hoses, then there is a way to test the valve itself. If you still can't find the problem, you should probably take it somewhere.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:33 PM

Well, the good news is that i DON'T have emmissions/inspection till NEXT year pffft... but i looked under the hood today to try to find the valve. my friend told me it's the same thing as a charcoal canister and showed me what his looked like. we looked near the firewall, found this little gray can, but did not seem to be the EVAP can. the one in his car, 88 Toyota Celica All-Trak, was a LOT bigger than this can looking thing. Could someone direct me to where the evap valve is? ... i really need to invest in a hayne's manual or something but i just bounced a check for car insurance so my funds are def suffering... x( x( x(