4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My max is hurt =(

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:42 PM

My max is hurt =(

I got hit by a Nissan Altima today. It was lightly raining in Chicago and well I went out to go pick up my girlfriend at the train station. I normally take the small streets but seeing as how the ground was wet and everything I took a big street. Well within 5 mins of making it to my house. I stopped at a red-light we were about the 5th car from the light, I came to a complete stop and for some reason I looked in the rearview. BANG!!!! Here comes a newer 2nd gen altima coming right at me. Moved my whole car about 3 feet or so. Me and my girlfriend got rocked pretty freaking hard. I blanked out and froze for like about 2 seconds until I saw out of the corner of my eye, my girlfriend taking off her seatbelt. So we both exchanged the “are you ok?” phrase. Luckily we both are in okay shape. I mean the seatbelts hurt but I know why I always wear mines now. I get out looked at my car first. It didn’t look as bad as it sounded. Looked at her car. License plate was all on the floor minus other parts of the car. Grille was messed up maybe some hood damage. Exchanged info and what not. She was really nice asking if we were ok and everything. She took the blame on herself even though it was 100% her fault. My car came to a complete stop and she came plowing into us at about 20-30mph. After exchanging info, I left her go, went back to the car to see how my girlfriend was doing. She looked like nothing happened. Since she has bumped a couple of people, I asked her if we had all the info and what not so it looked to be a good amount of info. I went on with the day, went to pick up the food I ordered. I was a little traumatized at the moment. Just shaking and jumpy. So I back out and of the parking lot and kind of went pass a phone line pole. Scuffed my rear quarter panel a little, dented my drivers side rear door slightly, scratches are light but it’s not the type to buff out sadly.

Seeing as how this is my first accident I’m looking for you guys for some help. I’ve seen a lot of accident threads around and I was looking for some help. I have full coverage. I went straight to my insurance company right away and they told if I was going to claim I would need to pay a $250 dectuible. So I declined at the moment because I didn’t have the money on me and I wanted to clear it with my parents. My parents just told me to file a police report today. We are going to pay the $250 dectubile and get everything done; the insurance told us there is a chance of use getting the $250 back.

What would be your estimates of how much something like this might cost to repair? Oh yea it really doesn’t show up in the pictures but my muffler tip was bent; now it kind of sounds like a have a flowmaster muffler or something.

What are the chances of us getting the $250 back?

What more could I have done in the future? I realized now I could have taken pictures at the scene of the crime and I could have taken down her VIN and address.

Could I file for what happen in the parking lot? Like under some post-trauma type junk?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0875.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0876.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0877.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0878.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0879.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0880.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0881.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0882.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0883.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0884.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0885.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0886.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/100_0887.jpg
Old 11-15-2005, 08:49 PM

hell no dude...dont pay ish
call her insurance
claim with her stuff
she admitted guilt everything from here on out is on her insurance company... from the pics it look slike its not that hard to claim whos at fault...
Um if you need more info i just went threw this this weekend..
check out my threads.... on my car...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....19#post4482919
in the instance you should have called the cops there..but eh its to late..
if you want some help PM me your number.. i will help u out...i feel your pain! the dent on the side...was that your fault?
that you will have to pay for your self i am guessing..
threw your own insruance.. the back though is her fault..

pinky
Old 11-15-2005, 08:54 PM
I Broke OT

nice night you had! just my thought here, but i doubt that you would be able to get anything back for post-trauma related anything. if you were that bad, they probably would say that you shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

i don't know, though. but good luck with how it all works out. also, keep an eye out for how you and your girlfriend feel in the next couple days. sometimes something like that won't really hurt until a few days after.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:54 PM

You should have called the police at the time of the accident. Atleast you have her information.

Shes at fault, she pays, closed case.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by toyick
in the instance you should have called the cops there..but eh its to late..
just for future reference, would you dial 911, or is there a non-emergency number to call?

thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 09:00 PM

naw you just dial 911
THe cops didnt come to mine cause vegas is gay and i was on private property..
BUt always call the cops..unless there is a reason why u dont want them to come...then your just dumb.
But the post trama thing wont hold up.....
BUt if she hit you that hard...then you should be feeling some neck injurys here pretty quick
i felt fine until the past couple of days..strait head aches...back is killen neck hurts...all that.
So i am gettin some free doctor visits as well as probably some sort of cash settlment.that i dotn know for sure.....So work that line..seriously PM me..i can talk to you more about how about goen around stuff...
my bro is an isurance nerd so he helped me out to legitly do things.
just my two cents though..
Old 11-15-2005, 09:22 PM

yea, i do regret not calling 911. But i mean i was kinda shocked and this was my first accident of any sorts. At the time i was like i dont have a camera. untill later on i realized i did have a camera/video phone.

And i didn't think that door ding was a worth a try. Thanks guys.

I just filed with progressive, should get a call tomorrow at 10am. from a claims guy.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 PM

Man, that sucks ***. I remember when I was driving my friend home... we joked about how much it would suck if someone hit us at no fault to us at all and because of that I'd get busted (had my license for less than 6mos, not supposed to be driving around friends ), and less than two minutes later... BAM! Older asian woman driving a Jetta smacks into the back of my dad's beautiful '98 prelude. She actually left an "imprint" if you will of her license plate number... pretty funny. I never got busted though.

Next time take some pictures before you even move your cars (if fully safe/possible, otherwise it's obviously not worth it), write down ALL the info you can get on her/them. Driver's license number, insurance provider, address, phone number, her car and license plate, vin number, everything you can think of. I think most of the time it's not too painful, but sometimes people are jacka$$es about it.

Now, call her insurance company speak to a representative and see what you can do. (seems like you already did this?)
I would feel bad about dialing 911 since it's not really an "emergency"... but then again, who has any other police numbers memorized? They stopped the 311 "non-emergency" line a long time ago IIRC.. when the police get there and they admit fault, they'll probably take note of it.

Sorry to hear about your mishap ,(to the Max's younger brother, no less...) good luck settling things, get well soon (and take care of your girlfriend!) and keep us posted.

That's it for now. =)
Old 11-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You don't even need to call your insurance. Just talk to her insurance because she's the one at fault. They'll probably tell you to get an estimate at your favorite body shop. Then they will send an adjuster out and cut you a check for the damages.

Out in Cali, the police generally don't come out unless there is a bodily injury or the cars are immobile and blocking traffic.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:02 AM

Sorry about the mishap, but if she was really going 20-30 like u say, i'd say u got pretty darn lucky! I've never been in this situation so heres my question regarding damages: Lets say he goes to a body shop and they quote him something. Does her insurance company send HIM a chek to cover the charges of the body shop or does everything go through the body shop at this point? Cuz im guessing a body shop would probably charge way more to fix something like that than wut is really needed i.e. a bumper off of someone on the org. That would leave you with a bit extra cash from the claim because you just bought a used bumper from someone for way less than the quote, then you could probably use that money towards the side of the car, which looks to be worse than the actual accident itself. Or would this all be some kinda fraud??
Old 11-16-2005, 08:15 AM

that isn't fraud. from what i understand you can opt to take the check. Before anything they come out and check out your car and give you a general idea of how much its going to cost. say its worth 500$. Then you have a choice of getting it done at their shops or your own shop. If you want your own shop, you take the $500 check. You can do what you want with the check. you can say screw the repairs and take the $500. You can buy a bumper off the .org with the factory paint an throw it on their for $150. pocket 350$ cash. options are endless. But for me i just got off the phone with them and i'm getting the repairs done to my car by one if their shops w/ free car rental for the time being.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:41 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

i had an accident earlier in the year. I got a check for 1900, bought a parts car for 900, and now I have a 5spd GLE with no dents
Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

the good thing is that nothing happend to u and ur girlfriend. you know??
Old 11-16-2005, 04:10 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Next time, call the cops. Had you been at fault, the other party could later call the cops and claim you left the scene of an accident.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:42 PM

How much would all the repairs look to be around?

How much would you assume it might cost my to fix that door?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Custom Molding King!

Your looking at $320 for a new OEM rear bumper painted, about $200 to repaint your door.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:04 AM

ok thanks.

Just wanted to update you guys. I'm feeling good.My girlfriend has minor headaches. But it could be a number of things. I want her to go to the doctor be she refuses. As for the claim and car, i filed the claim last night. They got me a local shop to handle all the rear end stuff. They will give me an estimate tomrrow. I'm driving a 2006 impala from enterprise for free. Everything seems to be flowing smoothly.

There is a dent on the door. When i get the car back i want to try that " as seen on TV" dent popper thing with the suction cups. And maybe try to wax it out or something. Does that sound reasonable or am i just wasting my time.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

when did you get the dent on the door? It wasn't there when we did you car, was it?

Good to see evrything else is going smoothly.......
Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
There is a dent on the door. When i get the car back i want to try that " as seen on TV" dent popper thing with the suction cups. And maybe try to wax it out or something. Does that sound reasonable or am i just wasting my time.
I think you'd get better results by going to a pdr (paintless dent removal) person/shop. Check the yellow pages.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM

on that...those as seen things suck. I bought one to try to take out a little dent in my mom and dads maxima..i was tryen to do a dukes of hazard skid across the fron of the bumper..i was a little low and my hipbone left a sweet dent in the car..anyways...long story short..those things wouldnt pull it out for the life of me..
glad to here things are goen aight with ya..
Old 11-17-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by hectorc
when did you get the dent on the door? It wasn't there when we did you car, was it?

Good to see evrything else is going smoothly.......

the dent, happened like 15 mins after she rear ended me. I guess i was just trying to get home a backed up and didn't really noticed nor see the phone poll. And crunch my door. Well it touched part of my quarter-panel but its not too noticeable. But the door wow..

paintless door removal method sounds great actually. At this moment, i'm going to debate either to get the door done or just let it be. If i was to get it done i think i would just get rid of the dent and leave the scuffs there. Maybe try to waste it out. But i'm not too bothered by that at this moment.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:33 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss man, I hope all works out for you. People need to pay attention!! A statistic that 75% of accidents are rear end collisions!! THE ONLY WAY YOU HIT SOMEONE FROM BEHIND IS IF YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!! This $hit drives me crazy! Snow and rain is no excuse either, you should traveling at a safe distance behind someone to allow enough space to stop WITHOUT hitting them! Sorry, had to vent on your part. Good luck. She pays all damages.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 PM

statisics also show that accidents normally happen close to home as well. And this was really close to home. I would have to agree with you here, i saw a glimse of the car coming at me from my rearview and she was going way too fast and realized that my car wasn't going forward.

Update on my car. I didn't get to see the car today since the guy was in a big rush he had to get 5 guys their cars back and finish up friday paperwork stuff. But he said my car should be ready on monday. From the way that sound, i'm guessing they just sanded off my bumper and repainted it. I droped the car off Wensday, i think it takes a little longer to get an OEM bumper but i could be wrong.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:22 PM

I was rearended in my 93 Maxima at a stoplight. I was at a complete stop and a whole car length between me and the car in front of me. I look in my rearview mirror and I see a 2000 or so white Ford Taurus approaching me and definitely wasn't going to stop. SHE plowed into me and pushed me into the car in front of me. She was about 70 years old and looked like Betty White, ( Golden Girls ). A handicap tag dangling from the rearview mirror, surprise, surprise. I asked her what the hell she was doing, she said she was picking up her coat off the passengers side floor!!!! Yeah, approaching a red traffic light. Stupid, bad judgement call there. She paid for all damages and on her insurance for the next 7 years.