4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

apex ws exhast people...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001 | 08:00 PM

how loud is your exhaust? with the catback only or with intake? im really curious now because i was told that my dynomax muffler was a pretty quiet muffler but i have nothing to compare it to. so here is a question? with the catback only or with an intake, can you set off car alarms in parking lots or garages? i know its not really a basis of comparison but dont have any other method at the moment. the reason i ask is because i wanted a loud exhaust and im kinda upset that i have one of the quietist mufflers, so im hoping that the person who told me was wrong. thanks
Old 06-03-2001 | 08:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I may be getting the apex'i for the reason its not loud...little groul but peacfull...thats what I like

Old 06-03-2001 | 08:53 PM

Originally posted by matty
I may be getting the apex'i for the reason its not loud...little groul but peacfull...thats what I like

yeah, its suppose to be quiet and so is my dynomax, the problem is, i dont know what quiet is...
Old 06-04-2001 | 07:59 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I got to hear an Apex at the meet and it sounded the same as OEM at Idle. This person had a straight pipe and revved, it and it wasn't loud at all. I also rode in Stillnmax's car with the greddy, and that wasn't loud either. I think the intake makes more noise than the exhaust. I plan on getting the Apex.
Old 06-04-2001 | 10:29 AM
Banned

I have an Apex exhaust and intake and i would have to say that it would be very very hard to set car alarms off with it. Probably damm near impossible. The only time you can hear the exhaust is from 1500 to 3000 rpm. After 3000 rpm the intake kicks in and gets real loud. Hope this helps
Old 06-04-2001 | 12:39 PM

Loving the Apex'i WS cat-back all the way!!!

If there's anything that makes too much noise its the intake. Just remember exhaust sound level depends greatly on throttle position and rpms. I find that my car makes the most noise below 3000 rpms and at WOT. Notice I said the most noise, not my car is noisy at _ _ _ rpm. The only comparison I have is to a stock muffler. And to say there is no noise increase at idle is false. From inside the cabin it isn't noticeable. But from behind the car its music to your ears. My gas mileage the first 2 weeks was **** because I found myself in the throttle so often. If you have a manual you will find yourself blipping the throttle and rev-matching on downshifts just to hear the VQ growl. The noisiest part of my setup is the JWT pop-charger. I like the way I can turn a head, when people see my car coming and expect a stock Max but they keep looking to see what the hell was that?!?!

Bottom line, buy the Apex'i WS. A silencer should be ready from Apex'i soon, so even if you make additional exhaust upgrades(hmmm, y-pipe, hi-flow cat) down the line and you worry about the exhaust noise level you can just screw in the silencer and quiet things down a bit. Oh and the Apex'i engravings on the tip are nice! Just make sure and keep it polished.