4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clunking noise while rolling

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005 | 06:23 AM
Blown

clunking noise while rolling

I have a clunking noise that is coming from the front of my car, when I am driving the noise increases as speed goes up. I can actually feel it thru the floor board. I am going to look at this tonight, but if anyone else has had this problem I would appreciate some imput. I know its not loose lug nuts, I checked those lastnight. The axle on the driver side is brand new, so I hope it is not that. I recently did a motor swap so the axles were out, I will check to make sure it is all the way into the tranny. Any other ideas? My struts and springs are AGX and Tein S-tech, and they seem to be fine. Once againt this clunking is sensitive to speed, so the slower the speed the slower the rythem of the clunking is, and as you speed up the faster the rythem of the clunking. Any ideas? thanks for the help.

-Carson

**this is on a 95 GXE five speed
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by cardana24
I have a clunking noise that is coming from the front of my car, when I am driving the noise increases as speed goes up. I can actually feel it thru the floor board. I am going to look at this tonight, but if anyone else has had this problem I would appreciate some imput. I know its not loose lug nuts, I checked those lastnight. The axle on the driver side is brand new, so I hope it is not that. I recently did a motor swap so the axles were out, I will check to make sure it is all the way into the tranny. Any other ideas? My struts and springs are AGX and Tein S-tech, and they seem to be fine. Once againt this clunking is sensitive to speed, so the slower the speed the slower the rythem of the clunking is, and as you speed up the faster the rythem of the clunking. Any ideas? thanks for the help.

-Carson

**this is on a 95 GXE five speed
You're saying the clunking has a rhythm, so it's constant? does it ever stop? does it seem to be coming from down low or somewhere up high in the suspension?
Old 11-29-2005 | 07:02 AM
Blown

its a rolling noise, it makes the noise all the time if I am moving. I had a similar problem before, and the lug nuts were not tight , but that is not the problem this time. To answer your question, the noise is coming more towards the bottom of the suspension.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:08 AM

I know that bad ball bearings make a constant humming sound while your car is in motion... the faster the car moves the louder the sound. Its similar to the sound of an automatic transmission that never shifts. This could be the "rolling" sound that you're hearing...

I haven't ever heard of the clunking you described earlier being attributed to ball bearings though.... If there are two distinct sounds, the clunking could be a completely different problem.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:30 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by keb1209
I know that bad ball bearings make a constant humming sound while your car is in motion... the faster the car moves the louder the sound. Its similar to the sound of an automatic transmission that never shifts. This could be the "rolling" sound that you're hearing...

I haven't ever heard of the clunking you described earlier being attributed to ball bearings though.... If there are two distinct sounds, the clunking could be a completely different problem.
with my problem, this is an example: Every time the wheel turns one full roatation I get a noise. So the faster I go the less broken up the noise sounds. Its not a constant humm like you are talking about (I am guessing this would sound like a failing wheel bearing or if the dust shield was touching the rotor)