4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

everyone here with lowered max

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 07:08 AM

how many of you have had NO problems after lowering your cars. NO = none, zero, zip, nada.
Old 06-04-2001, 07:11 AM
Administrator

not me.. i have problems.. still have problems.. noise.. rubbing.. bottoming out.. arg..

but when i had my H&R's and Tokico i had ZERO problems..

now i have koni/sprint
Old 06-04-2001, 07:53 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I think my problem is that 18's + crappy roads = horrible ride.

Sprint/Koni
Old 06-04-2001, 07:59 AM

None

No problems so far *knock on wood*. H&R/Tokico setup.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:35 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

zip, zero, nada, none...
Old 06-04-2001, 08:41 AM
BlkCat

I had to put in a straight pipe where the "S" pipe in front of the resonator used to be in order to have the resonator clear the underside. Still haven't gotten around to fixing the strut bearing on my front passenger side. Funny how turning left on a smooth I don't hear any clunking sound but on a bumpy left the noise shows up.

Old 06-04-2001, 08:45 AM

None here either.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:13 AM

I've had no problems with the Tokico/Eibach setup although they did get softer. When I first got them, the ride was nice and tight. Now I need a sway bar.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:25 AM

sooo

would the sprints be a bad idea? I am looking into the KYB AGX struts and shocks with either the weapon r coilovers or the Sprints.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:49 AM

Eibachs and Tokicos: no problems after over 3 years.

If you are having problems bottoming out, make sure the bump stops were trimmed properly. Some people say not to trim them or just do one end of the car. Do all 4 or it will be harsh. You will be hitting the bump stops all the time. If you here any banging noises, it is due to the front upper spring cup not being in the correct position. To check this, jack up the front of the car and feel around the perch. You will find it is close to the tower at one place. To move it, you have to loosen the spring with spring compressors or the upper mount and then clock it to the right position where it doesn't rub.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:04 AM

sprintmax

Originally posted by SprintMax
not me.. i have problems.. still have problems.. noise.. rubbing.. bottoming out.. arg..

now i have koni/sprint

im sorry but im a little confused by your answer. if you had no toubles with your first setup, why whould you change it??

also, for people reporting no problems ever, it would be great if you say what setup you had and how long you have had it for. thanks a lot.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:38 AM
BlkCat

Originally posted by SprintMax

now i have koni/sprint
I've got the koni/eibach setup and I haven't had bottoming problems nor rubbing. Are the sprints less harsh than the eibachs?

Old 06-04-2001, 12:11 PM

Re: sooo

Originally posted by Maximus98
would the sprints be a bad idea? I am looking into the KYB AGX struts and shocks with either the weapon r coilovers or the Sprints.
Go with Eibachs....They are slightly stiffer but they offer more performance.

I have just Eibachs right now, and I will be putting in the KYB AGXs as soon as they come in.

I also haven't had any problems lowering my car either.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Re: sprintmax

First car was totalled.. had no spare setup.. Ins company took that with them..

Loren... thanks for the heads up.. i am going to try that this weekend.. since i havn't gotten an alignment since i pulld it down saturday

Originally posted by riggy

im sorry but im a little confused by your answer. if you had no toubles with your first setup, why whould you change it??

also, for people reporting no problems ever, it would be great if you say what setup you had and how long you have had it for. thanks a lot.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:50 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: sprintmax

Hmm....maybe I should check mine out too. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-04-2001, 01:15 PM

Koni and H&R's No problems!

Once again thanks to "Ryz" he helped greatly with my suspension installation. No knocking, no groaning, no rubbing, just more smiles per mile. The downside to this setup is that the car really doesn't look lowered. I have 17" SE wheels and most people dont even noticed that its lowered. Boooo hooooo j/k. But I'm really loving Koni's. Just yesterday I increased the stiffness on the front to two full turns from softest.

I'm loving every mile of it, and I would suggest these struts to anyone in the market for a suspension uprgrade. They're great on the highway and pretty good on bad roads. Although bad roads will always be bad roads, and I dont know anything about Tokico's or KYB's but I know I love my current setup. Now only if H&R made a spring that was a 1.75 drop in front and 1.6 drop in the back. Now that would be sweet. (I think I have an email to send.... "Dear H&R...")
Old 06-04-2001, 02:05 PM

Eibachs,

I know the Eibachs offer more performance and are a bit stiffer. I want a semi decent ride. Not an AutoX ride. Optimal drop of 1 1/2 inches. Thats why I was gunna use the Weapon R's that a friend sold me.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Vandanno
I had to put in a straight pipe where the "S" pipe in front of the resonator used to be in order to have the resonator clear the underside. Still haven't gotten around to fixing the strut bearing on my front passenger side. Funny how turning left on a smooth I don't hear any clunking sound but on a bumpy left the noise shows up.
So what does that sound like? I think i may have the same problem.
I have the Stock/Intrax setup and it is ok no problems yet knock on wood.
Old 06-04-2001, 03:17 PM
BlkCat

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

So what does that sound like? I think i may have the same problem.
I have the Stock/Intrax setup and it is ok no problems yet knock on wood.
You mean when I do a left turn? It sounds like a clunking sound but I better check to see if the CV boot is ok as well. This only happens when I'm doing a left turn over a bumpy road. Right turns round are fine, however. This was discussed a while back when someone else found the same symptoms. I've noticed that with the Konis I can hear a tick-like noise when I backup the car and then move forward again. I always thought that the Konis were moving around within the strut housing.

Old 06-04-2001, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Vandanno

You mean when I do a left turn? It sounds like a clunking sound but I better check to see if the CV boot is ok as well. This only happens when I'm doing a left turn over a bumpy road. Right turns round are fine, however. This was discussed a while back when someone else found the same symptoms. I've noticed that with the Konis I can hear a tick-like noise when I backup the car and then move forward again. I always thought that the Konis were moving around within the strut housing.
Yea mine only happens on right turns, that are bumpy, or when it rains alot, would that make sense that it happens when it rains?
Old 06-04-2001, 05:37 PM
Disco Biscuit

That would be me!!!!!

Nothin' but smiles!!!!
how many of you have had NO problems after lowering your cars. NO = none, zero, zip, nada.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had zero problems in 3 years.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:25 AM

ok so whats the deal here

some people are having no problems while others have obviously had some. so what is this like a "luck of the draw kind of deal". some sh*t works for some people but not for others? does this sound about right?
Old 06-05-2001, 07:51 AM

Correct me if I am wrong.....

Intrax-2"or more drop
Sprint-1.5" or more drop
H&R-1-1.5" drop with a stock ride
Eibach-1-1.5" drop with a stiffer ride

I want mine firm with a nominal drop. Am I looking at sprints here? I have 18" rims. Will Eibach lower it enough? H&R with KYB sounds good.

I am gunna order the KYB AGX's shocks and struts.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

H&R and Koni's haven't given me one problem yet. I can keep the stock ride with it low or switch to firm on the shocks for a racing, go through the twisties type ride.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:13 AM

Re: Correct me if I am wrong.....

Intrax-2"or more drop
Sprint-1.5" or more drop

I want mine firm with a nominal drop. Am I looking at sprints here? I have 18" rims. Will Eibach lower it enough? H&R with KYB sounds good.

The Intrax are supposed to be 1.75" but I'm not sure about the rest.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:31 AM

Re: Re: Correct me if I am wrong.....

Originally posted by Ravq

The Intrax are supposed to be 1.75" but I'm not sure about the rest.
My intrax dropped it about 2" or so. they make the car sit really low, at first I wasn't used to it and I most of the time fell into the seat because I thought it would be higher up, but I got used to it and I really love how snappy the rear is around corners, and stability of the car is great, going around corners having no body roll at all is wonderful
Old 06-05-2001, 03:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Correct me if I am wrong.....

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

My intrax dropped it about 2" or so. they make the car sit really low, at first I wasn't used to it and I most of the time fell into the seat because I thought it would be higher up, but I got used to it and I really love how snappy the rear is around corners, and stability of the car is great, going around corners having no body roll at all is wonderful
Interesting I have Intrax and I measured my drop front and rear at 1.75" on the money. Even after waiting a few weeks for them to settle.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

eibach\tokico. no major problems, i bought it them used and they are getting softer. when i first got them, it was great, but with more driving in sf's focked up roads-the ride is getting bouncier. the drop isnt too much, i like it a lot compared to the stock height. if i had a chance i would probably try the eibach and koni set up. its stiffer. but if you like to just cruise i would get the h&r with koni shocks. i would stay away from the cheap coilovers.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Re: Correct me if I am wrong.....

Intrax = 1.75"
Sprint = 2"
H&R = 1.5f / 1.4r
Eibach = 1.5"
Intrax-2"or more drop
Sprint-1.5" or more drop

Old 06-05-2001, 08:06 PM
ryz

so what about suspension technique springs ? i have not heard about them in a while .
I have progress technology springs the ride is ok definatly not harsh ,I have had 0 problems .the drop is 1.7 fr 1.5 rr looks real even the front has settled tremendously & now I think I am sporting a 2" drop ,my koni's keep every thing under control.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:10 PM
ryz

koni improved

I really hated my car after the drop I came on here & *****ed about it but like evrything else in life once you get use to it its ok ,life has been much better since my koni's
Old 06-05-2001, 08:31 PM

Sooo

Would Sprint be a good idea? They seem like they have the Eibach ride, and a .5" more drop. I don't mind the rough ride. I am sure the KYB's will dampen them quite a bit.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:39 PM
ryz

sprint & kyb's are a good set up ,Its the best of both worlds ; nice drop , good price .
Old 06-05-2001, 08:42 PM

Sweet.....

they are mine then. Are the KYB strut and shock mounts necessary? I am gunna call TireRack tomorrow morning and place the order. Someone send me an email where I can get the lowest price on Sprints. RedLX92@aol.com

Thanx guys. You've made owning my Maxima the best yet. I just bought it 45 days ago, and I LOVE IT!
Old 06-05-2001, 11:56 PM

I have Cattman coilovers now and they're...not bad....The reason why I din't say that they're good is because the rear coilovers' strut rods snapped twice. When I had the eibach's, the ride was terrible. I just couldn't figure why the ride changed so much just by dropping the car only about 1 inch. I just wish someone could figure out a way to let you drop an car and still keep a comfortable ride
Old 06-06-2001, 06:41 AM

ok pplzzz

Originally posted by I30CeFiRo
I have Cattman coilovers now and they're...not bad....The reason why I din't say that they're good is because the rear coilovers' strut rods snapped twice. When I had the eibach's, the ride was terrible. I just couldn't figure why the ride changed so much just by dropping the car only about 1 inch. I just wish someone could figure out a way to let you drop an car and still keep a comfortable ride
i def appreciate all responses even though im still very confused about this whole subject. i guess some springs worked for some people while others thought they s**ked. thanks again.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:06 AM

i dont have any problems

my setup is great just cut your springs. cut off the bottom 4 links. hahahah. nah riggy go with the eibach setup.

Patrick
Old 11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

eibach pro-kit and kyb agx is a fantastic combo. on the lowest setting on the struts you get a real nice smooth ride. Turn those things all the way up and you've got yourself a great car in the twistys.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by MOR95MAXSE
eibach pro-kit and kyb agx is a fantastic combo. on the lowest setting on the struts you get a real nice smooth ride. Turn those things all the way up and you've got yourself a great car in the twistys.
Thanks for bringing back a 6 year old thread

Quick Reply: everyone here with lowered max