4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Opinion On Aftermarket Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 AM

Need Opinion On Aftermarket Rotors

My friend is trying to get rid of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...18957845QQrdZ1

because he totaled his maxima and has no need for them.. he's got very low mileage on them and i was looking into taking them.

i just wanted to hear some opinions on these.

First off it doesn't say what material the rotors are made out of, and i've been told that that's a concern being that, no-name companies tend to use crappier materials.

but from what i could see the brembo's on ebay didn't say what material they're made of either: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-99...19031951QQrdZ1

point being, has anyone ever tried these out (the top ones).. any problems?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brembo does not make drilled+slotted rotors. Brembo only makes drilled OR slotted.

Those are brembo blanks drilled and slotted by a third party. A lot of third parties use inferior drilling techniques which may cause the rotor to crack under stress and high heat. Also, if you call up Brembo for a warranty issue, they won't recognize the rotor, claiming it's not theirs.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 AM

fair enough.. i was told that 3rd party rotors could crack due to the fact that they're made of crappier material.

... are you saying because they are drilled and slotted they're more prone to failing? cause it seems to me that it would be the opposite, because technically wouldn't they be able to cool down more when drilled and slotted?

either which way i appreciate the info.. if anyone has any more please let me know..
Old 12-04-2005, 11:51 AM
I scam therefore I am

naplesmaxima aka Tommyali the scammer!'s Avatar

www.irotors.com
Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 PM

I'd NEVER use those rotors. Go for either slotted or blanks. Personally, these would get my vote. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...tor&perfCode=A
Old 12-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by ewuzh
Brembo does not make drilled+slotted rotors. Brembo only makes drilled OR slotted.
Actually, Brembo doesn't make anything except a stock replacement rotor for the 4th gen. Brembo replacement rotors are cross drilled, slotted and plated by outsourced companys. They are sold as Brembo rotors, but they are actually blanks modified by other companys.

Rotors are made from Cast Iron.

Ceramic rotors are used on very high end vehicles such as a few Ferarri's and the Mercedes SLR. That brake upgrade runs around 5 grand.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:50 PM

naplesmaxima thanks for the site but im not trying to get something "new" .. it's a question of if im getting these rotors or not.. it's a yes or no heh..

nismology i also appreciate the link but 117x2 and 132x2 = 498...

im being offered these 4 rotors for 80$ total ... quite a difference.

njmaxseltd... i musta not been on here in a while.. i remember your old sig and your shexxy maxima.. but grats on the 330 i suppose (don't know when you got it, so sorry if i'm late).

would you recommend these rotors? the only 2 reasons i have for getting these is 1 it's winter and better stopping can't hurt (i've been several sliding situations with our lovely no ABS system.. and am pretty much prepared to drive throughout winter like a granny..) and 2 the price.. 80$ for 4 rotors? ... that's ridiculous..

the only downfall i see is cracking.. but doesn't that only occur under HEAVY braking conditions? im no expert but im pretty sure cracking occurs from the rotors being put through constant abuse (overheating) ..

let me know what you think.. i have a day or two to decide on these.

- thanks to all
Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Actually, Brembo doesn't make anything except a stock replacement rotor for the 4th gen.
Sure they do. Brembo makes vented/solid (blanks), sport slotted, and sport drilled for stock sized rotors.

http://www.brembo.com/NR/rdonlyres/6...5AMCATALOG.pdf

Originally Posted by AxisKill

let me know what you think.. i have a day or two to decide on these.

- thanks to all
Drilled/slotted rotors decrease the frictional surface area on the already-small-enough stock rotor. Even though they may dissapate heat slightly faster, less surface area = less braking performance. A set of higher friction brake pads like the Axxis Ultimates or Hawk HPS will help your braking performance much more. Get blanks if you're sticking to the stock rotor size, unless you prefer "more show and less go." Otherwise, upgrade to a BBK and then get some drilled/slotted rotors.

EDIT: <-----1000 posts!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
I'd NEVER use those rotors. Go for either slotted or blanks. Personally, these would get my vote. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...tor&perfCode=A
I think that's Just go with some Brembos and call it a day. I have the Brembo cross drilled/dimpled rotors that I bought from the group deal forum - check it out. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=374496
Old 12-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Maintenance Monster

For $80 I would try them. But not because I believe in drilling and slotting - that's a bunch of hooey ricer stuff. If you want to get fancy, cryo treat them and get them resurfaced before installing. (And you'll still probably be cheaper than buying them new). The cryo + resurface can overcome many of the problems created by cheaper materials or postmachining.

If they warp, then switch to a new set of brembo blanks at $50/ea and you'll be fine. I use them and they are high quality.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:28 PM

thanks for all the replies.. dgeesaman your solution seems most realistic.. how much would it cost to get that coating you speak of? and do you know of any places that do it?

i noticed on the ebay brembo's (the ones you call 3rd party knock off's) they come zinc coated to prevent rusting.. i was thinking about getting some sort of coating on these but definitely don't know of any place that would do it.

regardless i think i'll go with these for now even though i don't have much of a need for them being that all 4 of my current rotors are less than 5,000 miles old (fronts maybe 1500, rears maybe 3500...) i'd still like to try these without dishing out 500$ ... definitely many more mods i can think of i'd rather do first.

anyways.. get at me if you know of a place that does this coating.

- thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaDMvD
I think that's Just go with some Brembos and call it a day. I have the Brembo cross drilled/dimpled rotors that I bought from the group deal forum - check it out. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=374496
What exactly about it is BS? Cryo-treating dramatically improves strength and wear resistance and slotting improves heat dissapation without compromising the strength or the total friction surface an appreciable amount. If it's not for you it's not for you, but don't call it BS based solely on your opinion.

In case you didn't know...http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=83
Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by AxisKill
thanks for all the replies.. dgeesaman your solution seems most realistic.. how much would it cost to get that coating you speak of? and do you know of any places that do it?

i noticed on the ebay brembo's (the ones you call 3rd party knock off's) they come zinc coated to prevent rusting.. i was thinking about getting some sort of coating on these but definitely don't know of any place that would do it.

regardless i think i'll go with these for now even though i don't have much of a need for them being that all 4 of my current rotors are less than 5,000 miles old (fronts maybe 1500, rears maybe 3500...) i'd still like to try these without dishing out 500$ ... definitely many more mods i can think of i'd rather do first.
The coating you see is cadmium plating, which rubs off almost immediately and only serves to reduce corrosion a little bit around the perimeter and hub.

Cryo is a heat treatment process that provides stress relief in hard steel components. I mention resurfacing since anytime you use a new set of brake rotors, they should be machined flat. Napa machine shops will do this. So I was not referring to any surface coatings.

Dave
Old 12-05-2005, 09:13 AM

For the price they are worth a try, it's all about wether or not the machining has been done properly, are they Zinc plated? Take a look at mine on my domain ( 13" cobra's) no rust at all with the Zinc plating. Poor machining gives Slotted/drill etc a bad rep, done properly they'll out perform any blank. High end Porsche, Ferrari etc all use them, but hey remember you are only spending $80!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
For the price they are worth a try, it's all about wether or not the machining has been done properly, are they Zinc plated? Take a look at mine on my domain ( 13" cobra's) no rust at all with the Zinc plating. Poor machining gives Slotted/drill etc a bad rep, done properly they'll out perform any blank. High end Porsche, Ferrari etc all use them, but hey remember you are only spending $80!
Slotted might give a small advantage over a blank in race applications with race pads. I know this is going to be ignored by all the ricer teenagers, but don't pay for something you don't need or doesn't work. Blank rotors are cheap, effective, and dimensionally stable.

As far as the coating, it's not on the areas where the pads rub. It only prevents rust on the hat and perimeter, both of which are cosmetic.

Dave
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 AM

I got some blanks from autozone for $26 each...

Get my OEM pads from local dealer...

Braking is 10x better then it was with the aftermarket pads/rotors that were on my car when I bought it; the previous owner stated that they had purchased some "performance" components which I ended up having to change in less then a year because they began to fail (rotors warping and uneeven wear on the pads.)

I like my cheap blanks and OEM pads, stopping power/feel is great after a brake bleed.

$70 for front pads, $55 for rear pads, $26 per rotor = just over $200 for a complete brake job! Not too bad...
Old 12-05-2005, 07:51 PM

has anyone used speed bleeder here? if yes, do you like it.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:58 AM
Maintenance Monster

Yes speedbleeders are great if you always wrench alone, but how often do you flush your brake fluid? For me, it's better to just find a helper (this happens what, every 2 years?) and have them press the brake pedal for me.

Dave
Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 AM

Why buy used for something like a rotor? I will never buy used rotors or pads regardless.

Just get some new ones and do it right and good the first time. Don't bother with those cheap deals only to give you headache later on. Your spending the labor to do it, so why not spread out the cost? Otherwise doing it 2 times means you would have to spend 3 times the labor. 1) putting ur friends on, 2) putting them off, 3) putting FRESH NEW on. You get the idea.