4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 02:30 PM

What is the best oil to run in a 97 SE? It's time for an oil change...
Old 06-04-2001, 02:33 PM

Any brand of 5W-30 or 10W-30 is fine. Just change it at specified intervals.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

The best oil to use is the one you ultimately decide on after reSEARCHING the subject. This neato feature is located in upper right hand side of the screen. Punch in "oil" and search away. Also please note the posts that always stay on top of the threads(ie..stickies)

Read this first.

http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

Originally posted by Kyle7475
Old 06-04-2001, 02:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For some reason, the SEARCH on this forum has really just died. It fails to get me any results an average of every 7 out of 8 attempts.

DW

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The best oil to use is the one you ultimately decide on after reSEARCHING the subject. This neato feature is located in upper right hand side of the screen. Punch in "oil" and search away. Also please note the posts that always stay on top of the threads(ie..stickies)

Read this first.

Old 06-04-2001, 02:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah, in this case, I posted another link to help this person decide what to use. I used OIL and it came up dead. I used synthetics and came up with information.

Originally posted by dwapenyi
For some reason, the SEARCH on this forum has really just died. It fails to get me any results an average of every 7 out of 8 attempts.

DW

Old 06-04-2001, 03:36 PM

Read this first.

ok Jeff and Bill i don't want to do this again I just have a question?
Why are you two so all about that damn search? Is it that much trouble for you to see a thread that asks a question that hey maybe it was answered a long time ago or yesterday in some other thread? I am just wondering not trying to start ****.
Old 06-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

Why are you two so all about that damn search? Is it that much trouble for you to see a thread that asks a question that hey maybe it was answered a long time ago or yesterday in some other thread? I am just wondering not trying to start ****.
So questions aren't asked and answered OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again.

You answered your own question. If the question has already been asked and answered, why should it be asked and answered again? It's just a waste of bandwidth.

I wish members would at least try to search before asking questions. By searching, if they still have a question, then they can post their impressions on the subject and ask for further/clarified advice.

I usually try to only answer questions that reflect a member's attempt to do re-search here first. If they haven't, I'll search for them or leave the question alone. You may do whatever you like.
Old 06-04-2001, 03:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well on some topics, Bill, I and alot of others have answered these types of questions countless times before. It is a catch 22, because if we don't answer the question, there is a chance that this person gets misinformed. But if we do answer the question, it's more than likely going to be a very short summary of our previous posts. What happens is that the posters then has alot of additional questions and the thread keeps going on, on and on. If the poster uses the search feature, they will find the posts that Bill and I have taken alot of time on and thus contains the greatest amount of information.

To be honest, I do want to help, but most of the time, I don't even bother answering 3/4 of the questions. Why?? Becuase I get tired of repeating the same damn information all the time? Wouldn't you??? If people want a well researched reply, then the poster should at least have a well thought out question.

My question to you is, why don't people use the search feature(when it's working) more often. How does it make sense not to?? And why do you have a problem with us requesting the poster to use search??

Old 06-04-2001, 03:54 PM

Well on some topics, Bill, I and alot of others have answered these types of questions countless times before. It is a catch 22, because if we don't answer the question, there is a chance that this person gets misinformed. But if we do answer the question, it's more than likely going to be a very short summary of our previous posts. What happens is that the posters then has alot of additional questions and the thread keeps going on, on and on. If the poster uses the search feature, they will find the posts that Bill and I have taken alot of time on and thus contains the greatest amount of information.

To be honest, I do want to help, but most of the time, I don't even bother answering 3/4 of the questions. Why?? Becuase I get tired of repeating the same damn information all the time? Wouldn't you??? If people want a well researched reply, then the poster should at least have a well thought out question.

My question to you is, why don't people use the search feature(when it's working) more often. How does it make sense not to?? And why do you have a problem with us requesting the poster to use search??

Just wondering
Old 06-04-2001, 03:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hey how about answering my question? "Just wondering" doesn't cut it with me.

Just wondering
Old 06-04-2001, 04:09 PM

Hey how about answering my question? "Just wondering" doesn't cut it with me.

sorry didn't read that far, I don't know sometimes you guys get a little harsh with the new guys as well as some of us that have been here a while.
I don't know that it may make sense I just think that if you post a new thread you might get a little more info on it. Sorry to upset you but don't get your pantys in a wad
Old 06-04-2001, 04:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

So I make an effort to give you an honest answer you ultimately tell me not to get my panties in a wad??

You wonder why I get harsh? Maybe it's because honest information gets answered with smart-assed replies. I suppose you think your replies are somehow convincing me NOT to continue repling exactly how I am now??

Here's a smiley

sorry didn't read that far, I don't know sometimes you guys get a little harsh with the new guys as well as some of us that have been here a while.
I don't know that it may make sense I just think that if you post a new thread you might get a little more info on it. Sorry to upset you but don't get your pantys in a wad
Old 06-04-2001, 04:52 PM

So I make an effort to give you an honest answer you ultimately tell me not to get my panties in a wad??

You wonder why I get harsh? Maybe it's because honest information gets answered with smart-assed replies. I suppose you think your replies are somehow convincing me NOT to continue repling exactly how I am now??

Here's a smiley

No I am just being sarcastic
another one for you
Old 06-04-2001, 05:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

"""""ok Jeff and Bill i don't want to do this again I just have a question?
Why are you two so all about that damn search? Is it that much trouble for you to see a thread that asks a question that hey maybe it was answered a long time ago or yesterday in some other thread? I am just wondering not trying to start ****"""

Really?? You could have fooled me. Maybe I should ask you why you put a GT-R emblem when the maxima has absolutely nothing in common w/ the Skyline??(other than the orignal maker Nissan) But I'm not trying to start **** or anything

No I am just being sarcastic
another one for you
Old 06-04-2001, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

So questions aren't asked and answered OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again.

You answered your own question. If the question has already been asked and answered, why should it be asked and answered again? It's just a waste of bandwidth.

I wish members would at least try to search before asking questions. By searching, if they still have a question, then they can post their impressions on the subject and ask for further/clarified advice.

I usually try to only answer questions that reflect a member's attempt to do re-search here first. If they haven't, I'll search for them or leave the question alone. You may do whatever you like.
Quick question Bill... I know I asked in another thread, and you told me to do a search which I had already done and came up with nothing. So here it goes again... what is the diameter of the stock exhaust tubing in for the b-pipe, at the muffler flange, and at the cat inlet/outlet flanges? Thanks.

-V
Old 06-04-2001, 08:03 PM

5-30 for extremely cold tempatures. 10-30 for normal/average temperatures.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:23 PM

"""""ok Jeff and Bill i don't want to do this again I just have a question?
Why are you two so all about that damn search? Is it that much trouble for you to see a thread that asks a question that hey maybe it was answered a long time ago or yesterday in some other thread? I am just wondering not trying to start ****"""

Really?? You could have fooled me. Maybe I should ask you why you put a GT-R emblem when the maxima has absolutely nothing in common w/ the Skyline??(other than the orignal maker Nissan) But I'm not trying to start **** or anything

Is that all you and those DSM guys can come up with to try and shoot me down for, the GTR emblem? There are a bunch of other guys on here with a GTR emblem why don't you say something to them to not just me. Besides I like it I will keep it and if I really cared what you think I would take it off but I don't car
Here I did a search for you on GTR emblems:
oh wait that search sucks so it didn't bring up anything on GTR emblem
Old 06-04-2001, 10:03 PM

well sorry for asking

MODS
  • Performance: Matrix FSB, JWT 6" Cone filter
  • Exterior: Eurolite Crytal White Xenon bulbs in markers, parking lights, fog lights, blinkers, & license plate. Eurolite Fusion Xenon for the headlights. Rewired fogs & corners. Polished Perimeter & Valance Billet Grills.
  • Interior: Blue bulbs in glove compartment, map lights, dome, step lights, & trunk. Razo carbon fiber pedals.
  • System: Pioneer DEH-P7200 Head Unit, Custom Box, 2 Memphis Studio 12's, Four 6 1/2 mids, 1 Memphis 2-way crossover, & 1 Memphis Power Bass 400 watt amp.
  • Ordered stuff: Initial K Indiglo gauges.
  • My Nissan
Old 06-04-2001, 10:46 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyle7475
well sorry for asking

Do feel bad Kyle... this is a very persistant problem... It's hard for most of the 'veteran' members to answer all the questions ask by 'newer' people (and the others! ) and most of us do want to...

It's just as Bill and Jeff pointed out... Most of the 'common' questions have been asked before and it gets to be very redundant and tiring to answer all the time. Especially if it could be answered by a search... I think most of us take into account the status/profile of the person asking... ie.. lurker or newbie

Perhaps we could make the "SEARCH" link bigger and bolder and more 'in your face'.... I honestly believe it would help...
Old 06-05-2001, 05:21 AM

Is that all you and those DSM guys can come up with to try and shoot me down for, the GTR emblem? There are a bunch of other guys on here with a GTR emblem why don't you say something to them to not just me. Besides I like it I will keep it and if I really cared what you think I would take it off but I don't car
GTRBlkMax97,

If you're interested, here's a search for "emblem". 450 hits and GT-R emblem's usefulness is discussed.

Oddly, the search function doesn't like text strings such as "GT-R", "SE", "GXE", etc. It does make searching a bit more difficult. I guess now I'll have to make a "how to search" sticky.......

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending
Old 06-05-2001, 05:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyle7475
[B]well sorry for asking
Kyle,

No need to feel sorry for asking. It's been discussed ad nauseum, so naturally it's frustrating to see the same question every day.

For plain ol' conventional oil, use 5W-30 name brand (Pennzoil, Castrol, etc.). Furthermore, only change your oil and filter every 5k. That 3k change interval is a load of B.S. As for oil filters, there is an excellent study on the web regarding this:

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html
http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilters.html

For synthetics, please read the Oil Analysis spreadsheet in the "sticky" post in the General Discussion forum. Then, do forum searches for "Amsoil", "synthetic oil", "oil interval", and you'll spend days waving through all that stuff.

Once you've done that, and something is still confusing, come back and we'll try to help you out.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:42 AM

I'm curious, I've seen your excellent analysis on oil changes. I'll admit, I still stick to the old habit of changing my oil at 4K miles, even with synthetic. To try to offset the higher costs of synthetics, I now use semi-synthetics, like Mobil 0 10W30 Synthetic blend, getting some or most of the benefits of sythetic at a cost right in-between regular oil and pure synthetics.

I was curious if you are going to continue this oil analysis and add a section for semi-synthetics to see how they stack up. That would be interesting.

DW

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bill99gxe
[B]
well sorry for asking
Kyle,

No need to feel sorry for asking. It's been discussed ad nauseum, so naturally it's frustrating to see the same question every day.

For plain ol' conventional oil, use 5W-30 name brand (Pennzoil, Castrol, etc.). Furthermore, only change your oil and filter every 5k. That 3k change interval is a load of B.S. As for oil filters, there is an excellent study on the web regarding this:

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html
http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilters.html

For synthetics, please read the Oil Analysis spreadsheet in the "sticky" post in the General Discussion forum. Then, do forum searches for "Amsoil", "synthetic oil", "oil interval", and you'll spend days waving through all that stuff.

Once you've done that, and something is still confusing, come back and we'll try to help you out.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I'm curious, I've seen your excellent analysis on oil changes. I'll admit, I still stick to the old habit of changing my oil at 4K miles, even with synthetic. To try to offset the higher costs of synthetics, I now use semi-synthetics, like Mobil 0 10W30 Synthetic blend, getting some or most of the benefits of sythetic at a cost right in-between regular oil and pure synthetics.

I was curious if you are going to continue this oil analysis and add a section for semi-synthetics to see how they stack up. That would be interesting.

DW

dwapenyi,

As long as Blackstone Labs analyzes the oil and the interval length/viscosity/oil-brand is known (and any known consumption or engine problems), I will be happy to add anyone else's results to this sheet. Just e-mail me the results and I will update the spreadsheet. I am particularly interested in dino oil results rather than synthetics at this point.

ALL inquiries will be welcomed.

There are plans to update the sheet with other's results, but I've yet to receive any. I'm sure that will change in the near future.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

Why?? Because I like you best.

At least I answer your questions

Maybe I should say "Is that all you can come up with is to ***** about telling people to search??"

Old 06-05-2001, 09:07 AM

Why?? Because I like you best.

At least I answer your questions

Maybe I should say "Is that all you can come up with is to ***** about telling people to search??"

If forgot to ask....what is DSM an acronym for?

I tried search but it didn't tell me.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:12 AM

Thanks Jeff

Bill DSM according to the talon and eclipe owners that started a war on this board, is for Diamond Star Motors
those guys think that calling their cars DSMs instead of chryslers will gain them some sort of status as a well made import car, when it is reall just a domestic with import badges, so they have the wrong badges on their cars whereas I just put the wrong one on mine by choice because I like the logo and it adds a little look to my car. I am not trying to make my car a skyline I just wish I had one, and it looks good on the car that's all.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:22 AM

Thanks Jeff

Bill DSM according to the talon and eclipe owners that started a war on this board, is for Diamond Star Motors
those guys think that calling their cars DSMs instead of chryslers will gain them some sort of status as a well made import car, when it is reall just a domestic with import badges, so they have the wrong badges on their cars whereas I just put the wrong one on mine by choice because I like the logo and it adds a little look to my car. I am not trying to make my car a skyline I just wish I had one, and it looks good on the car that's all.
Ahh....Ok.

Equations:

Chrysler = Style
Chrysler = Personality
Chrysler = Will it run today?
Chrysler = Safety cage? What safety cage?
Old 06-05-2001, 09:38 AM

Ahh....Ok.

Equations:

Chrysler = Style
Chrysler = Personality
Chrysler = Will it run today?
Chrysler = Safety cage? What safety cage?

Chrysler / DSM? no way
Old 06-05-2001, 10:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wait a minute! The only DSM guys you should be arguing w/ are the turbo guys right?? I mean who cares about the na 4 cylinder versions. I could be wrong but doesn't Mitsu manufacture the Eagle Talons and Chrysler whatever? Doesn't Chrysler just put the DSM name on the Mitsu made cars??? I know Mitsu is the maker of the dohc 2.0 turbo engines correct. Doesn't Mitsu also make the new 3.0 V6 that's in the new one also?? Are you sure you should't say sorry to those guys?? haha

Thanks Jeff

Old 06-05-2001, 10:15 AM

Diamond Star Motors, huh?? Something about that company just rubs me the wrong way, so to try to align with them doesn't make them any better than Chrysler, well maybe a bit better. The fact that you can buy a VCR (They do make great VCRs, though), refrigerator, home Air Conditioner, AND car from the same company strikes me as really odd. Like it can't make up its mind what business to be in, so it does everything, and it couldn't possibly do everything very well.

Just my 02 cents

DW

Thanks Jeff

Old 06-05-2001, 10:32 AM

I'll bet Daniel Martin has answered the same questions over and over, but he never complains. That's why he has built a reputation on this board as being very knowledgable. I don't think I've ever seen him a post a reply to someone to do a search. Everytime he answers a question, he is helping somebody new. And that is why many questions I've seen are directed at him specifically. Yes the search is very useful. I've used it many times myself and found alot of answers. If answering a repetitve question is a drag, then don't reply. Don't tell someone to do a search. Save you're finger strength.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by JMAX95
I'll bet Daniel Martin has answered the same questions over and over, but he never complains.

Do me a favor. Do a search for every post Daniel B. Martin has made and then restructure this statement to reflect reality.

That's why he has built a reputation on this board as being very knowledgable.

No, he is knowledgeable because he actually researches and reads topics, particularly out of his repair manuals. In addition, he is able to construct clear sentences to coincide with his thoughts. We could all be Daniel if we all tried and actually put forth an effort. Very few even try.

I don't think I've ever seen him a post a reply to someone to do a search.

Again, please confirm this with a search yourself as this is not accurate.

Everytime he answers a question, he is helping somebody new. And that is why many questions I've seen are directed at him specifically.

He is VERY patient and slow to frustrate, and members here take advantage of that, which I don't appreciate. I think if members REALLY wanted to show him respect, they would search to see what Daniel has said about certain subjects already instead of using him for their convenience. But that would require effort.

Yes the search is very useful.

More than most of us will ever know.

I've used it many times myself and found alot of answers.

Congrats, that means you're in the top 10% of the class.

If answering a repetitve question is a drag, then don't reply.

Many times I don't.

Don't tell someone to do a search. Save you're finger strength.
You do what you want, and I'll do what I want.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:02 AM
Kustrup

Just my observation... I think that this thread has gotten a little out of hand and off the topic of "oil". We all love Maximas that's why we are here. Personannaly I would lock this thread.... it's almost summer and there ia a bit of a chill here!

Old 06-05-2001, 11:05 AM

Do me a favor. Do a search for every post Daniel B. Martin has made and then restructure this statement to reflect reality.

[/B]

No, he is knowledgeable because he actually researches and reads topics, particularly out of his repair manuals. In addition, he is able to construct clear sentences to coincide with his thoughts. We could all be Daniel if we all tried and actually put forth an effort. Very few even try.

[/B]

Again, please confirm this with a search yourself as this is not accurate.

[/B]

He is VERY patient and slow to frustrate, and members here take advantage of that, which I don't appreciate. I think if members REALLY wanted to show him respect, they would search to see what Daniel has said about certain subjects already instead of using him for their convenience. But that would require effort.

[/B]

More than most of us will ever know.

[/B]

Congrats, that means you're in the top 10% of the class.

[/B]

Many times I don't.

You do what you want, and I'll do what I want. [/B]
Strange, was I directing my post at you? I don't think I've pointed any fingers at anyone. Since you've replied, I suppose you're the guy frustrated about the repetitive questions and telling everyone to do a search.

Daniel is patient, yes. Slow to frustrate, no. I think he actually cuts from his previous posts and reposts them. He basically answers the same repetitive question with the same repetitive answer. You can probably do the same by cutting from your previous posts of telling people to do a search.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:08 AM

mmmm oil
Old 06-05-2001, 11:11 AM
I'm needing a caw

You mean like this? I already answered your question as to why? It's even in this thread.

""""Well on some topics, Bill, I and alot of others have answered these types of questions countless times before. It is a catch 22, because if we don't answer the question, there is a chance that this person gets misinformed. But if we do answer the question, it's more than likely going to be a very short summary of our previous posts. What happens is that the posters then has alot of additional questions and the thread keeps going on, on and on. If the poster uses the search feature, they will find the posts that Bill and I have taken alot of time on and thus contains the greatest amount of information.

To be honest, I do want to help, but most of the time, I don't even bother answering 3/4 of the questions. Why?? Becuase I get tired of repeating the same damn information all the time? Wouldn't you??? If people want a well researched reply, then the poster should at least have a well thought out question. """""

Now do you know why it's frustrating?? People can't even take the time to search within same thread.

Danial is a very patient person. But he has not been on this board as long as Bill and I. Trust me, if you guys keep abusing his kindness, he will start referring to the search feature or just not answer at all. Is that what you guys want?? Burn and churn the guy?? How thankful is that?

Strange, was I directing my post at you? I don't think I've pointed any fingers at anyone. Since you've replied, I suppose you're the guy frustrated about the repetitive questions and telling everyone to do a search.

Daniel is patient, yes. Slow to frustrate, no. I think he actually cuts from his previous posts and reposts them. He basically answers the same repetitive question with the same repetitive answer. You can probably do the same by cutting from your previous posts of telling people to do a search.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:12 AM

Strange, was I directing my post at you?

Either myself or Jeff, yes.

I don't think I've pointed any fingers at anyone.

Have you read your own post? What else would it be implying?

Since you've replied, I suppose you're the guy frustrated about the repetitive questions and telling everyone to do a search.

Roger that.

Daniel is patient, yes. Slow to frustrate, no. I think he actually cuts from his previous posts and reposts them.

Uhh....yeah, he does. I thought everyone had that figured out. Humor me and do a search for ECU trouble codes (i.e. "0401", etc.), and you'll easily see that he cuts and pastes stuff, although I would say he has some easily accessible files on his hard drive that he cuts and pastes from rather than just using search on .org.

He basically answers the same repetitive question with the same repetitive answer.

With the obvious hopes that people take a hint and search.

You can probably do the same by cutting from your previous posts of telling people to do a search.

Why? That's just wasting bandwidth and teaching members to be lazy instead of resourceful. What happened to actually putting forth effort into getting information?
Old 06-05-2001, 11:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Sorry for the off-topic stuff. Try clicking on Bill's links in his sig. It contains the most objective and well researched information available on this board. It even has oil filter information also. If you read his links, you will have well researched information. All other information is just opinion, hersay and rumor.

mmmm oil
Old 06-05-2001, 11:17 AM

It also seems like he's pretty good at putting is $.02 only where it's asked and not just speaking from his butt. He also stays on topic.

BTW, what was the consensus on the oil again I've been using Mobil 1 15w50 and only recently started doing changes every 5000 miles instead of 3000 miles. Thinking of changing to 10,000 mile intervals with the Mobil 1, since I do over 3000 miles a month.

-V
Old 06-05-2001, 11:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

Damn!!! Flaming-Foo! Your kung-fu is best. Mushroom style!

Either myself or Jeff, yes.

[/B]

Have you read your own post? What else would it be implying?

[/B]

Roger that.

[/B]

Uhh....yeah, he does. I thought everyone had that figured out. Humor me and do a search for ECU trouble codes (i.e. "0401", etc.), and you'll easily see that he cuts and pastes stuff, although I would say he has some easily accessible files on his hard drive that he cuts and pastes from rather than just using search on .org.

[/B]

With the obvious hopes that people take a hint and search.

[/B]

Why? That's just wasting bandwidth and teaching members to be lazy instead of resourceful. What happened to actually putting forth effort into getting information? [/B]

Quick Reply: oil change