4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New owner. Maintenance to-do's

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 03:12 PM
aaimmx

I am new proud owner of a white 1995 Maxima SE,
automatic, 73K miles, with power sunroof, cassette/cd.

I'm totally new to Maximas (owned a Neon for 7 years).

The previous owner was the original owner, and other than
routine maintenance, hasn't done much else. I just
gave it an oil change and transmission fluid change (total
flush job). I know it needs a brake job, but what other
maintenance should I be expecting soon to keep this
gem running fine? What should I have checked? What about
the AC?

John

Old 06-04-2001, 06:31 PM

Just do the maintenance as described in the owners manual and your car will run just fine.

The Maxima is not a high maintenance car. Just don't abuse it and it will take care of you.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Just do the maintenance as described in the owners manual and your car will run just fine.

The Maxima is not a high maintenance car. Just don't abuse it and it will take care of you.
To give you an idea, I've got a '98, drive it pretty hard constantly, and just rolled 90k miles the other day. The only thing I've done to it is changed the oil every 5k miles(myself), replaced the spark-plugs (myself), replaced 3 or so (I can't remember) full sets of brakes, one set of rotors, and one set of calipers, 3 sets of tires, one battery, one tranny flush. Exhaust and rear bumper will be replaced shortly (but not because it wore out). Basicly nothing that would be considered out of the ordinary. It is truly a magnificent and (relatively) maintainance-free car. Enjoy.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:43 AM

you did good by changing the trans fluid. if there is a weak point, it's not the engine, but probably more the transmissions. changing the fluid and keeping it fresh will do wonders.

I'd say change the oil every 3000 or so religeously and you should be good to go. I haven't had any problems, but it seems like starters and alternators might be other items that require occasional attention/replacement.

I have 132,000 miles on my '97 SE 5sp and I the plugs were changed for the second time at a couple thousand miles ago. It's the original clutch, and pretty much the only things that have been done are the tires (twice) and brakes (once). I may need a new set of tires soon, but that's about it for me. I just changed the batter about 900 miles ago from the original.

My 5sp trans has developed a leak, i think from the reverse/neutral switch, so I'm keeping an eye on the level there. If you don't beat on the car, the car will be good to you. Other than that... drive happy!

-V