4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Has Any Experienced ECUXtend for our cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Has Any Experienced ECUXtend for our cars

I got confirmation that this will work if it doesn't the Co. will refund your Money.

Here is the Email I got from the Caz

Caroline Felgate
CazRacing
www.cazracing.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Fri 16/12/2005 08:10
Subject: EcuXtend

Hi Chris,
Did you look at the website?? Its an awesome system.....it got me an extra 18 rw kw on the dyno too. There isn't a big margin in it for me but its taken off big time here! I can hardly keep up..

If you were interested in promoting it a bit for me over there, hand out some brochures, show it around at meets ect , I'll offer you a 10% discount. That's normally the group buy 10+ price.

I wouldn't be able to do that price for other individual sales, it would need to be a group buy.

Kind Regards,

Caz...

What i'll do is, I will Post this in each classfied to Gather some people that maybe interested then once I get 10 People or So I will setup a GroupDeal and have them ordered, So I need the Cooperation of everybody. If you have any question either refer to the Website above or PM me and I'll talk to Caz about the issue. So lets get this going Plus Tax season is coming up so i'm ready.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Kevlo for President

Cefiro = Maxima
Old 12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does this mean I could actually use my pocket pc?
That would be great.
For some reason I am already scrared it wont work on a 99 maxima...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

correct me if i'm wrong, but nissan cefiro's and nissan maximas are totally different ECU-wise.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

List of Potential Buyers

1.maxdaddy98
Old 12-15-2005, 01:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

I wont put my name anywhere unless there's a dyno
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

More Websites about the product. There are Two kinds www.blaZt.biz and www.xtendperformance.com

Both Products Connect to the Consult port in our Fuse Box this is so for 95-99
for other years I don't know I will research and report back.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It says "The markets only Portable Engine Management Xtension for pre1997 Nissan Vehicles."

pre 1997 means 4.5 gens cant use it
Old 12-15-2005, 01:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Still, no dyno no care ... ... ...
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
Says who ?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
It says "The markets only Portable Engine Management Xtension for pre1997 Nissan Vehicles."

Why? What's so different about the '97 ECU (for example) that you couldn't use it?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i think they are talking about obd1 vs obd2
Old 12-15-2005, 02:07 PM

It will only work if the car is OBDI. Everything before 97 will work because its OBDI. 97 will not work. Unless you have your car converted to OBDI then it wont work on 97+'s.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by xloki77x
It will only work if the car is OBDI. Everything before 97 will work because its OBDI. 97 will not work. Unless you have your car converted to OBDI then it wont work on 97+'s.
Ok, then they're wrong in many ways. First of all, no A32 is OBDI, not just pre-97.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

404 Source found not credible.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
404 Source not found credible.
Post *****

Old 12-15-2005, 02:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's because you stole my post

All A32's OBD-II.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Bacon Lover

It's because you stole my post
Sorry, my bad

I'll let you get it next time...since there will inevitably be a next time in the 4th gen forum
Old 12-15-2005, 02:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Sorry, my bad
Well, I had the post typed but went out of the room for a bit, but knew someone would've taken care of it.

18kW is like 13 whp?

I do not see the logic in someone wanting to buy something that has yet to be proven, and has holes in its credibility.

It looks cool and all ... but I question everything...
Old 12-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Kevlo for President

I am pretty sure they have the same ECU harness. Just some pins are not used. Someone buy and test. I bought the damn SMT6 and it had a Cefiro app. That is the reason I bought it.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

You have two ports the OBD1 prt or Consult Port then you have another one underneath it which Nissan put it there for GST Scanners Nissan calls them Generic Scan Tool. I will post a pic of the Connection which Most if not all has this Port everyone should check
Old 12-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MAXDADDY98
You have two ports the OBD1 prt or Consult Port then you have another one underneath it which Nissan put it the for GST Scanners Nissan calls them Generic Scan Test I will post a pic of the Connection which Most if not all has this Port everyone should check
It's still not OBDI though. It's OBDII...OBDI scanners can just use that port.

..and because the cars are OBDII, it raises the question of whether or not this product is compatible. My guess is no...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

It's still not OBDI though. It's OBDII...OBDI scanners can just use that port.

..and because the cars are OBDII, it raises the question of whether or not this product is compatible. My guess is no...

Hmmm...Ok I'm Learning something. I will collect more info I know that Caz(ecuXtend) told me that they are working on the OBDII version but let me check with her one more time, because even tho the Connections fit it may not work.

But Isn't the Cerfiro just about similiar to a Maxima or the System Diagram is a bit different.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MAXDADDY98
But Isn't the Cerfiro just about similiar to a Maxima or the System Diagram is a bit different.
I've heard rumors the Cefiro is not the same ECU-wise, particularly in the area that it didn't have to comply with the OBDII standard so it is not OBDII. Just rumors though...please don't take them as fact without proper research.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Cefiros have different headlights
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
aka UNCDooD

I've heard rumors the Cefiro is not the same ECU-wise, particularly in the area that it didn't have to comply with the OBDII standard so it is not OBDII. Just rumors though...please don't take them as fact without proper research.

not a rumor. JClaw found out that the Cefiro is in fact OBD-I.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by UNCDooD
not a rumor. JClaw found out that the Cefiro is in fact OBD-I.
Ahhh I see
Old 12-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Donating i30 Owner

... are we talking 97 ceifro rite..? cause theres other cefiro which was turbo and stuff... from before..
Old 12-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
... are we talking 97 ceifro rite..?
Yessir...the international version of our I30.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 AM
3.5 in the works

Wow this thread is dizzying.

First off the ECU's are different, as has been stated. But it is not crucial whether the ECU is OBDI or OBDII as far as the software being able to communicate. The protocol being used is the Consult I interface, not the OBD port. But what is different is the amount and type of sensors and parameters accessible. If the software is programmed only for OBDI then you'll be missing a lot of them since our ECU's are OBDII.

Secondly, whether the program works or not will depend on 2 things: whether the initialization string is variable and user-settable for differing years, and also whether the correct memory addresses/registers are accessed. I have not seen this particular product before but have gotten OBDScanTech to work on a 96 and 98 ECU (and also DataScan on a 96 only) but the init strings were not the same! If this is not accounted for and the typical pre-96 strings are programmed in it will likely only work on a 96, if at all.

Thirdly, no matter what, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PERMANENTLY CHANGE ANY TIMING OR FUEL MAPS with these kinds of software. This is not because of the software, it's because our ECU's are not EPROM's, only PROM's. They cannot be written to, only read from. Any changes in timing for example, are only stored in temporary memory for the purpose of what the Consult interface calls "Active Tests". Once the car is shut off all changes are lost. Therefore, there will be ZERO gains in power (ie-dyno or 1/4 mi performance) from these software programs. Their use is strictly as a datalogger/scanner tool only, and for that purpose, they are definitely better than the OBD port tools, as they are much much faster with much higher bandwidth.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Team Ramrod

I wont put my name anywhere unless there's a dyno
I second that.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by DandyMax
So, basically, this comes down to what I had originally expected going into this thread.....it's useless?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 AM
3.5 in the works

Useless for performance, but like I said.. IF it works, potentially good as a better datalogger/scanner than the OBD scanners because of using the Consult port.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Bacon Lover

Useless for performance, but like I said.. IF it works, potentially good as a better datalogger/scanner than the OBD scanners because of using the Consult port.
Ahh, I see. Better than Nissan's software? Cheaper than OBD scanners?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Made in Taiwan

yep,
looks like it won't work. IIRC, Z-emulator was similar to this when that thread came up couple months back, and they claimed to be working on adapting it to our maxima's; but never come around with firm results. I think this is just something similar.

Heard the difficulty is all programmed maps and advance timing return to original value like dandymax said. if it's a read-only, you may mementarily override it in "active test mode", but you may not change anything that was factory preset. That's why JWT and TS still edge out in this mod because they re-route maps to their piggy-back memory modules.

the closest possiblity for either the ECUXtend or Z-emulator to work is if a piggy back by-pass adaptor module is soldered onto the factory ECU and re-route the whole mapping source to come from ECUXtend or Z-emulator. Or else, I don't see the possiblity of this happening.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Dyno with ecuXtend

Still, no dyno no care ... ... ...
Hi guys, here is a dyno of my car with and without ecuXtend. You can see the air/ fuel was able to be brought to a very sweet 12 and the power gain of 18kw was 10%. This was done very conservatively, street boost-10/11psi, pump fuel, straight in off the street, back to back. My car is an auto and the manual cars show an even greater gain.

Cheers,, Caz
www.cazracing.com
Old 12-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow this thread is dizzying.

First off the ECU's are different, as has been stated. But it is not crucial whether the ECU is OBDI or OBDII as far as the software being able to communicate. The protocol being used is the Consult I interface, not the OBD port. But what is different is the amount and type of sensors and parameters accessible. If the software is programmed only for OBDI then you'll be missing a lot of them since our ECU's are OBDII.

Secondly, whether the program works or not will depend on 2 things: whether the initialization string is variable and user-settable for differing years, and also whether the correct memory addresses/registers are accessed. I have not seen this particular product before but have gotten OBDScanTech to work on a 96 and 98 ECU (and also DataScan on a 96 only) but the init strings were not the same! If this is not accounted for and the typical pre-96 strings are programmed in it will likely only work on a 96, if at all.

Thirdly, no matter what, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PERMANENTLY CHANGE ANY TIMING OR FUEL MAPS with these kinds of software. This is not because of the software, it's because our ECU's are not EPROM's, only PROM's. They cannot be written to, only read from. Any changes in timing for example, are only stored in temporary memory for the purpose of what the Consult interface calls "Active Tests". Once the car is shut off all changes are lost. Therefore, there will be ZERO gains in power (ie-dyno or 1/4 mi performance) from these software programs. Their use is strictly as a datalogger/scanner tool only, and for that purpose, they are definitely better than the OBD port tools, as they are much much faster with much higher bandwidth.

Hi DandyMax,
Thanks for trying to clear up some of the confusion this thread has created.

After Chris contacted me I researched Nissans reason behind some of these US Maxima's carrying both the universal OBD11 and Nissans own DDL(which is what is often referred to as OBD1 for ease),there are some nissans that do have both the obd and the nissan DDL connector in the US as the US requirements for OBD came in 1997 so the DDL connector on these maxima's is a legacy thing. The OBD11 was added to the cars to meet US requirements. Nissans own DDL was left operative too. There is a cross over period around the change.

Majority of Nissan DDL equipped cars were pre 97 so that is why I say that this system is for pre 97 vehicles equipped with the grey DDL I picture. But if it has that DDL connector it should work just as a Nissan Consult will work if connected to it.

Your comments regarding ecuXtend purely being a datalogger/scanner tool is incorrect. This is where this system stands apart from any other .. The software has the facility via 'macro's' to store various tunes. These are then used from the digital dash screen. The changes are not made to the prom, the software overrides the prom with the tunes you set and inhibits the self learn feature of the ecu.
So when you start the car, with ecuxtend on, you immediately have the tune the car was running when you last drove it unless you decide to select another macro or none at all in which case it will reactivate the self learn and return to pre ecuXtend values happily.

Yesterday I raced my car in DragWarz at Western Sydney International Raceway and used ecuXtend to tune my car to see if the dyno result would actually mean anything substantial at the strip. I was extatic! I havent run better than a 13.93 all year and I ran a 13-41sec quarter mile (with leaky turbo manifold gaskets and all). A new PB and a top way to end the year. In drag racing that is a very substantial improvement.

If Nissan Consult works in your cars and Nissan DataScan with an ecu Interface cable works with your cars...then EcuXtend WILL TO. I am considering supplying Chris with an interface cable and software to test out his port because then there would be no doubt. I certainly dont want to sell anyone something that doesnt perform 100% in their car.

I am a performance head waaaaay before I am a sales person, and my reputation in the Performance Car Industry is what my business is built on.

Interacting with our ecu's is a reletively new thing and I understand the misconceptions and confusion, ecuXtend is a world first and as such will be highly scrutinised by our automotive communities, we arent an easy lot to please!!

I welcome your questions and will always answer then honestly and try to find out if I dont know, thats how we all learn from each other I have learnt from you that some cars have 2 on board diagnostic systems!!

Kind Regards,
Caz..
Old 12-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
I second that.
You have a dyno now
Caz..
Old 12-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cyu1
yep,
looks like it won't work. IIRC, Z-emulator was similar to this when that thread came up couple months back, and they claimed to be working on adapting it to our maxima's; but never come around with firm results. I think this is just something similar.

Heard the difficulty is all programmed maps and advance timing return to original value like dandymax said. if it's a read-only, you may mementarily override it in "active test mode", but you may not change anything that was factory preset. That's why JWT and TS still edge out in this mod because they re-route maps to their piggy-back memory modules.

the closest possiblity for either the ECUXtend or Z-emulator to work is if a piggy back by-pass adaptor module is soldered onto the factory ECU and re-route the whole mapping source to come from ECUXtend or Z-emulator. Or else, I don't see the possiblity of this happening.
With EcuXtend you can store the tunes in macro's/files that stay operative until you change them. Yes your PDA needs to be plugged in and switched on but you dont have to reset it or reselect settings.....they are there until you change them or deselect.

It is not like Zemulator. EcuXtend over rides the ecu's settings. The self learn feature is de activated when a set tune is selected so it will not self learn back to prom settings.

Caz..

Quick Reply: Has Any Experienced ECUXtend for our cars