4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

!!!!!!help Me Someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 PM

!!!!!!help Me Someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok here is the problem. two days ago my starter went out so we got a flat bed tow truck to tow it to the shop to get fixed.
We payed a total of $300 now today when i get home my step dad says that the accelerator gets stuck.
So if you try and push it down more that half way it sticks and the car keeps accelerating.
Has this ever happened to anyone before? also does anyone have any sugestions on wut i could do or wut might be wrong with it. all sugestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:32 PM

Never had it happen but look at the thing on the side of the throttle body that the accel. cable goes to (cant remember the name) and see if something is catching it, also look for something holding the actual pedal.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

The cable goes to both the throttle body and the cruise control.

Look to see if the cable is getting caught on any of the EVAP system brackets.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Made in Taiwan

who replaced your starter? yourself? or mechanics.

anyhow, here's a possible solution to your input...

I have an after market intake setup, dont' know what you got. but what happend was the ribbed rubber flex hose from the throttle body to the resonator airbox is replaced by a standar rubber hose. That rubber hose, I had to use a screw clamp to secure it inplace on the throttle body's hose section.

Well, here is the tricky part: When I tightend up the screw clamp on the throttle body, the screw section of that clamp was placed so that when I stepped on the gas pedal, the cable pulled open the throttle by pulling the actuator (the thing with the return springs) well, it turns out that the screw was placed in the way of the return...so it got stuck. i can accelerate, but it wouldn't return because it's stuck on the screw clamp. go check that out. i think the acceleration got stuck because of some kinda obstruction of the return progress. if you are running with stock intake airbox, there is also a screw tightener on the clamp, too. that may have been the obstruction.

go check it out...if more probs, come back and ask.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 PM

basically what Maverick said... open the hood and see if the cable is catching on anything... if it only started doing this after changing the starter something may have gotten pushed out of place... though i can not think of anything...
if you can't find anything there then get on your back on the floor of the car and inspect the gas pedal. (and if you had someone put the starter in for you smack the crap out them for putting you in danger!)
Old 12-15-2005, 10:46 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by cyu1
That rubber hose, I had to use a screw clamp to secure it inplace on the throttle body's hose section.

Well, here is the tricky part: When I tightend up the screw clamp on the throttle body, the screw section of that clamp was placed so that when I stepped on the gas pedal, the cable pulled open the throttle by pulling the actuator (the thing with the return springs) well, it turns out that the screw was placed in the way of the return...so it got stuck. i can accelerate, but it wouldn't return because it's stuck on the screw clamp.

But with a t-bolt instead of one of your crappy worm clamps.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:35 AM
iAMIXAM!

what maverick is what really happened, 99.9% sure
when i installed my intake the same thing was happening, scared the **** out of me till i figured it out.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:50 AM

thanks for all input im gonna go check it out when my step dad gets back.
Originally Posted by the_3d_man
and if you had someone put the starter in for you smack the crap out them for putting you in danger!!
and if if turns out that the mechanic did somethin wrong i might just go and slap him lol
Old 12-16-2005, 08:10 AM

man thats not even funny that happened to me like a year ago in my friends cutlass... its not even funny her emergency brake didnt work either.... i had to drop in to park going 35 mph!!! it sucked real bad....
Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

then what happened?

After you dropped it into park at 35 what happened???
Old 12-16-2005, 05:14 PM

yeah ... prolly would have been better to just put it in nuetral... rev limiter would have kept it from over reving
Old 12-16-2005, 05:17 PM

Gas pedal is getting caught on the floor mat? Don't laugh! It happened to me once!............... Just once
Old 12-17-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Gas pedal is getting caught on the floor mat? Don't laugh! It happened to me once!............... Just once

that was the first thing i checked thats wasnt the problem.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:54 PM

.. .. ..update??
Old 12-17-2005, 06:14 PM

i still havent got it fixed im just gonna take it back to the mechanic. i dont know much about this kind of stuff so i'll just let a pro handle it.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:10 PM

did you check the trottle cables? look under the hood, and look at the throttle body. Look at the cables to the right of it. Pull and tug (not too hard) and see if something is in the way... It has to be something with the cable.

Would kinda suck to get charged $70 + for a diagnosis from the dealer, just to find out there was something getting caught in the cables, that took them 5 seconds to get out.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:16 PM

maybe something is getting between the throttle pully and the stop.
just look! it can't hurt! hell... I live 10 minutes away! I will come look for you!
lol
Old 12-18-2005, 03:33 AM
dko
duck and cover

it's the throttle assembly getting caught on something, for sure. there's really nothing else it can be. don't take it to a mechanic. just pop the hood and look at the throttle linkage piece. it's right before the intake hose.

here's a pic to clear it up (shamlessly stolen from jime and photoshopped for my purposes):

this isn't anything complicated. you can do it yourself. like a few people have said it's prob. sticking on something. most likely a clamp on the intake. it happened to me after i installed my intake, too. i slammed on the gas as soon as i had some empty road and the throttle just stuck at half open. i just shifted the car to neutral and pulled into a parking lot.

look around the throttle, work it with your hand and see where it sticks
Old 12-18-2005, 10:53 AM

thanks for all the input i finally went to go check things out ant it turns out it was just like some of yall said it was getting stuck on the intake hose clamp. so i loosend the clamp and rotated it and now it works great. once again thanks for all the input. (in the napolean dynamite voice) -this is the best flippin site ever!-
Old 12-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by future
thanks for all the input i finally went to go check things out ant it turns out it was just like some of yall said it was getting stuck on the intake hose clamp. so i loosend the clamp and rotated it and now it works great. once again thanks for all the input. (in the napolean dynamite voice) -this is the best flippin site ever!-
Congradulations. You just saved yourself atleast $60.