4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator FINALLY Gave Up (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:07 PM

Alternator FINALLY Gave Up (kinda long)

So, EARLY yesterday morning I was on my way to pick up this girl so she can ride with me to a friend's graduation a few hours away. I was all looking forward to letting the max flex her muscles for this short little trip. Plus, I had just put on my Maxima.Org stickers so I was looking forward to sporting the stickers hoping other max drivers would get a chance to see them and hopefully join the org.... BUT, on my way to pick the girl up my alternator took a crap! I was pissed, not so much becauase the alternator went, but because it was such bad timing. My max has 203,xxx mi, and the alternator is original, so it had to go sooner or later.

I got towed back home and had her meet me at my house and we took her car. A 2 door 1998 automagic Chevy Cavalier.... She of course asked me to drive as she doesn't like driving on the expressway too much, so I agreed. It took me a miknute to get used to driving without clutching and changing gears, but I adjusted. A couple of times I got pissed at a few slower drivers and tried to slam her dead pedal with my left foot (looking for the clutch) and would reach for the shifter so I could downshift and pass and then I'd realize that there was nothing I could do, so I would floor it and wait an agonizing amount of time for the car to muster up enough strength to pass... it was so FUN!!!!!

But anyway, this morning I borrowed a buddy's 97 automagic Neon and went to Autozone and picked up a new Duralast Import alternator for $159 after core return. It puts out 125 amps which is an improvement over stock... I believe stock is 110.

I had a guy I know put it in for me, I wasn't in the mood to deal with the 8 degree weather this morning. It works great and I'm glad it's replaced. Most importantly I'm glad it didn't happen while I was three hours away from home, or on the road... that really would've sucked.

He did a great job putting it in, and I was SO glad to climb back into my max. It felt like I was stepping into a LIMOUSINE!! My baby is FIXED!!!

Does anyone have any experience with Autozone's alternators? I was told that if I buy a a reman alternator from Autozone that I'd likely be back in a year to get another one. It has a lifetime warranty, and I had them test it before I walked out of the store with it and it tested fine, so I felt comfortable buying it from them. But I wanted to avoid the other parts stores because I've always gotten the best parts from Autozone, so obviously I want to stick with them.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:14 PM

Good you got the alternator fixed rather quickly.

That has happened to me before. I have been in other car that arent my own, plus they are auto. Somthing happens and I quickly re-act, but by stepping where the clutch would be and trying to shift. Thank goodness that mis judgment didnt cause something worse.

Dont know about the quality of the autozone alternators but I'm curious as I think I may need to change mine in the future. The alternator isnt as easy to take out as the starter, plus its more of a headache if it goes on you. I may go OEM if I need to change my alternator.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I may go OEM if I need to change my alternator.

Im probably going to do the same...Havent got a quote on it yet but it shouldnt be too much more..to me its worth the extra so I wont have to go back in and change it...plus, taking off the S/C bracket and everything is a pain...

-matt
Old 12-18-2005, 07:40 PM

definately. Being S/C'ed its even more work to change the alty. . . I'd definately go OEM.

Dont OEM products have a limited warantee? like 6 months or something
Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM

I may go OEM if I need to change my alternator.
If this Duralast goes out, I'll likely bypass Autozone and see what Nissan would offer me and what it would cost.

There was a post on here not too long ago about buying an alternator from the stealer.... something around the $450 range???? Anyone know if that's accurate?? That would be for a brand NEW one I hope... It'd be hard to imagine paying that amount for a rebuilt one, even if Nissan themselves did the rebuild...
Old 12-19-2005, 06:51 AM

I dont know but if it is in the $300+ range. I'll just get one from advanced auto parts or auto zone, and install a volt meter so I can keep an eye on the volts.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 AM
I Broke OT

Dont OEM products have a limited warantee? like 6 months or something
and isn't that only if they install it too?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:26 AM

oh If its $400 installed then the alty should be a decent price, probably $200 or under. I could install myself and save extra money.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:47 AM

I attempted to change the alternator on my 97 three years ago with a Duralast from AutoZone. I had trouble getting one bolt out and called the dealer for info. They then told me that there was a recall on the alternator and if I could get my car there, they would finish the replacement with an oem. Hope that didn't happen to you keb1209. I would have never known about the recall if I hadn't called the dealer. As far as AutoZone quality goes, I used that exact brand on a GrandAm I used to have and had no problems. Even if it lasted two years, it has a lifetime warranty. If you were to purchase an oem alternator, you would have to pay again if it ever were to go out. If I remember correctly, an oem alternator for a 97 ran about $300 and that was without them installing it. Hope this helps
Old 12-19-2005, 09:59 AM

Whitemax21 that helps a lot... I figured my car probably would've been covered by the recall, but if the new OEM one would go bad I'd still have to go out and buy one from Autozone anyway. So I felt I may as well pay now and never have to pay for one again.

Plus, I didn't want to wait until today to try to get it taken care of, I wanted it done asap so I could have it for work this morning. I was sick of driving my friends' "Press 'n Pray" cars where you press the gas and pray that the thing goes....
Old 12-19-2005, 11:49 AM

now that I remember it was the 97 year maxs that had the recall for their alternators. I believe all you'd have to do is call up your dealership give them your vin number and they can see if you apply for the recall. If so then you just take your car up there, and get a free alternator.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You guys are going to find that the OEM one's are now refurbed.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by matty

Im probably going to do the same...Havent got a quote on it yet but it shouldnt be too much more..to me its worth the extra so I wont have to go back in and change it...plus, taking off the S/C bracket and everything is a pain...

-matt
the alt takes me 1/2 hour in and out, why do you have to take off the s/c bracket? i must of replaced it in and out 4 times in one day when the alt became misaligned with the s/c, and never removed or touched the s/c bracket. p.s i also have the autozone alternator and it works fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:26 PM

This is what happened to me 2 years ago. My car (well, the alternator) was actually smoking and I could smell the burning in my car. I called up Nissan and gave them the VIN. I told the rep that the car wasn't driveable because it is smoking. The rep agreed to pay for the tow.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
You guys are going to find that the OEM one's are now refurbed.
but to a higher standard (I assume) than local auto stores.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:44 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by keb1209
So, EARLY yesterday morning I was on my way to pick up this girl so she can ride with me to a friend's graduation a few hours away. I was all looking forward to letting the max flex her muscles for this short little trip. Plus, I had just put on my Maxima.Org stickers so I was looking forward to sporting the stickers hoping other max drivers would get a chance to see them and hopefully join the org.... BUT, on my way to pick the girl up my alternator took a crap! I was pissed, not so much becauase the alternator went, but because it was such bad timing. My max has 203,xxx mi, and the alternator is original, so it had to go sooner or later.

I got towed back home and had her meet me at my house and we took her car. A 2 door 1998 automagic Chevy Cavalier.... She of course asked me to drive as she doesn't like driving on the expressway too much, so I agreed. It took me a miknute to get used to driving without clutching and changing gears, but I adjusted. A couple of times I got pissed at a few slower drivers and tried to slam her dead pedal with my left foot (looking for the clutch) and would reach for the shifter so I could downshift and pass and then I'd realize that there was nothing I could do, so I would floor it and wait an agonizing amount of time for the car to muster up enough strength to pass... it was so FUN!!!!!

But anyway, this morning I borrowed a buddy's 97 automagic Neon and went to Autozone and picked up a new Duralast Import alternator for $159 after core return. It puts out 125 amps which is an improvement over stock... I believe stock is 110.

I had a guy I know put it in for me, I wasn't in the mood to deal with the 8 degree weather this morning. It works great and I'm glad it's replaced. Most importantly I'm glad it didn't happen while I was three hours away from home, or on the road... that really would've sucked.

He did a great job putting it in, and I was SO glad to climb back into my max. It felt like I was stepping into a LIMOUSINE!! My baby is FIXED!!!

Does anyone have any experience with Autozone's alternators? I was told that if I buy a a reman alternator from Autozone that I'd likely be back in a year to get another one. It has a lifetime warranty, and I had them test it before I walked out of the store with it and it tested fine, so I felt comfortable buying it from them. But I wanted to avoid the other parts stores because I've always gotten the best parts from Autozone, so obviously I want to stick with them.
sorry to hear, man. You should've paid $0 for your alternator since you have a '97 and there's an alternator recall for '97 and early '98 Max's
Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wills98MaxSE
sorry to hear, man. You should've paid $0 for your alternator since you have a '97 and there's an alternator recall for '97 and early '98 Max's
No biggie to me... I wanted it done yesterday so I could drive it to work this AM.... so I decided to pay for the convenience.

But now everyone has me thinking... I wonder if Nissan would reimburse me the price of the Autozone alternator??? I should give them a call, this oughtta be interesting...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM

doesnt hurt to try.

or if you really want to get your money back you can return the new alty get the old, have nissan put in the new one.