4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please Help With Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 12:10 PM

My alarm on my 95 gxe does not work right. if i lock the car with my remote and then use the key to get back in, obviously the alarm should go off. it doesn't. the only time i can get the alarm to go off is if i use to key and open the trunk while the car is locked. is there anything i can do to fix this problem? i know there are no "switches" or anything in my 95, so please let me know if there is anything else i can do.

i did get a remote starter, but this problem has existed before i got that.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:09 PM

you need to be more specific

are you talking about a factory alarm???? cause I think that it never goes off when the key is used.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:54 PM

Re: you need to be more specific

yeah i have the factory alarm. i thought it was supposed to go off if the key was used to open the door when locked with the remote. so in other words there is really no way to test out if the alarm works? thanks.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:18 PM

Try opening the passenger side door with the key with the alarm armed.

Unlocking the driver's side door with the key, essentially unarms the factory alarm.

I have unlocked the passenger's side with the alarm armed and the alarm sounded.

Another way to "test" the alarm is to roll down the windows, arm the alarm, then reach inside the open window and unlock the door. This will also cause the alarm to sound.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by GTNUKE
Try opening the passenger side door with the key with the alarm armed.

Unlocking the driver's side door with the key, essentially unarms the factory alarm.

I have unlocked the passenger's side with the alarm armed and the alarm sounded.

Another way to "test" the alarm is to roll down the windows, arm the alarm, then reach inside the open window and unlock the door. This will also cause the alarm to sound.
i'd do the roll down the window method. after arming, as soon as you unlock the inside locking flap of any of the locks, the alarm will go off even before you open the door. popping the hood should do the same thing as well.

-V
Old 06-05-2001, 02:47 PM

To do the reach inside the window test, you need to wait 30 seconds for the alarm to "arm" (the red light will start flashing). Using the Nissan key disarms the alarm, no matter where you unlock the car.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:48 PM

There's nothing wrong.

Maxima factory alarms shut off by inserting the key and turning it at any door. I have a problem because my alarm will not shut off when the key is turned(only on drivers side). You see, if your remote goes dead you still can arm and disarm your alarm with the key alone. Any sugestions for my problem? I can still arm and disarm with the remote.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:24 PM

Re: There's nothing wrong.

What about putting the key in the trunk lock.

Originally posted by nelzavala
Maxima factory alarms shut off by inserting the key and turning it at any door. I have a problem because my alarm will not shut off when the key is turned(only on drivers side). You see, if your remote goes dead you still can arm and disarm your alarm with the key alone. Any sugestions for my problem? I can still arm and disarm with the remote.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:24 PM

If you place the key in the trunk lock the alarm should disarm too. All my locks disarm except the drivers because of a malfunction.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:38 AM

that could be it

Originally posted by Eric L.
To do the reach inside the window test, you need to wait 30 seconds for the alarm to "arm" (the red light will start flashing). Using the Nissan key disarms the alarm, no matter where you unlock the car.

i did not wait 30 seconds when i tried opeing the passenger side window. now, at least i know not to try opening the drivers side door with the key. also, i will try the window down tech. if it still doesnt go off after 30 seconds i guess i can assume something is wrong then? i'll let you guys know. thaks for the help.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:21 AM

Now I remember...

After reading these responses, I remembered that when I set off the alarm by unlocking the passenger side door with a key, I was using a copy key not the Nissan key. But I know that if I unlock the driver's side door with the copy key the alarm does not sound. I wonder how Nissan does that?

riggy,

Yes, if you want to test your alarm just try the reaching in and unlocking test.

1. Roll your driver's side window down.
2. Get out of the car and shut the door.
3. Arm the alarm with the remote (lock doors).
4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
5. Reach in the window and flip the unlock flap that's above the door handle.
6. Your alarm should sound.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:43 AM

If I remember right, I think not only the remote, but also the power door lock on the door will arm the alarm? I think I tried did this: after turning off the ignition, take ths key out, swith the power door lock to "lock", get out of the car, then close all the doors. I notice the security LED does the same that it stays on for about 30 seconds then start blinking. Does it mean the alarm system is on? (mine is factory alarm with S/C package) If it does then remote is for convenience only.