4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension shot... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:45 PM

Suspension shot... now what?

So my stock SE suspension is bouncin like a ****, and it's really annoying and not good (duh). So I need some new suspension. My dad just wants to get new shocks, and I know he'll just want stockers again. I say, go aftermarket (obviously). Now what suspension is good? I don't wanna lower it too much, *maybe* an inch, if at all. I want a sportier ride, but I don't want it to be too rough. Some elimination of body roll would be sweet, but like I said I don't wanna be feelin every bump. It's a grocery-getter, not a race car! Thanks for the input guys, I need it!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:50 PM

Illuminas with tokio springs or Illuminas with H&R springs. They give a little bit of a drop (about 1.2~1.5) but maintins a soft ride, with some reduced body roll.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:53 PM

how much do you think those would run? and what would stock suspension run me? sorry for the questions, i'm just tryin to make this a logical & well-thought decision for when i put it up to him. thanks for the response!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:56 PM

Illuminas run about $450shipped. H&R springs I'm not sure but going to guess ~$150.

You could get the Tokio strut/spring combo that is sold for around $500 It is the Tokio Blue Struts (stock replacement) paired with their tokio springs which will provide a slight drop.

If you budget can afford Illuminas and H&Rs or Tokio springs, you should enjoy the setup, plus adjustability of them (soft to really stiff)
Old 12-20-2005, 05:13 PM

that sounds cool... you just adjust them on the shock itself? ah well, either way i found a kit w/"free" shipping for $550. shocks, springs, the whole deal. how hard are these to install myself? how much would it cost to have them installed? roughly, of course, cuz every place is different. sorry for all the questions, i just don't know if my dad'll spring for $550. thanks!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:18 PM

Yes there is a dial (on the rears) and you use a small flat head on the top of the strut for the fronts to adjust them, very easy and takes a few seconds.

Do you have a link for the kit you found? I believe its for the Tokio Blues and Springs.

Install isnt really too hard, If you know how to use a spring compressor then you should be fine, there are many write up in the stickies, browse thru them and see if the install seems like too much.

I'd say $200 is a fair price what a shop maybe charge for the install (plus alignment) I'd suggest see if there are any org member in your area willing to do it. I'm sure they'd charge much less and could get the job done pretty quick plus you can watch, learn, and see how its done up close.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:23 PM

here's the link. i'll see what it'll cost. maybe if i split it w/my parents they'll spring for it. thanks for the advice! oh... and there's freakin no members from colo it seems... maybe 5.