4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

changing water pump.. new timing chain tensioner ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

changing water pump.. new timing chain tensioner ?

Since im changing my water pump and i NEVER want to go back in that area would it be worth it to get a timing chain tensioner? The car has 170k on it. It is a 97 se.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Maxima Owner

yes ......i would...as long as ur there may as well do it
Old 12-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Maintenance Monster

Agree. And I believe it will make life simpler because you won't have to compress the existing tensioner and insert the set pin.

Dave
Old 12-24-2005, 08:15 AM

definately, do it while your in there.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:17 AM

Good luck finding one. The "upgraded" part number from nissan requires you to remove the entire timing chain cover to install the "Larger tensioner". I reinstalled my old one when I did my water pump

-matt
Old 12-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by matty
Good luck finding one. The "upgraded" part number from nissan requires you to remove the entire timing chain cover to install the "Larger tensioner". I reinstalled my old one when I did my water pump

-matt
Re-he-he-eally?

Hmm, I guess since mine isn't making noise I'll just skip the tensioner replacement when I do get around to changing the water pump.

Dave
Old 12-24-2005, 09:44 AM

ahaha well thats not happening looks like the old one is going back in : ]
Old 10-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by matty

-matt
anyone able to get a brand new OEM previous version lately?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Book time on water pump is 4hrs. Book time on timing chain is 12hrs. Maybe you check the chain when you get the covers off. The tensioner has to come off anyway.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:14 PM

you can replace the tensioner itself with the updated one without removing the timing chain cover. you cannot replace the updated chain GUIDE without removing the tc cover though.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by elemax
you can replace the tensioner itself with the updated one without removing the timing chain cover. you cannot replace the updated chain GUIDE without removing the tc cover though.
I didn't think removing any guide (old or new style) was possible without removing the timing cover...

Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 AM

just did the water pump replacement........

Hi DcMAn, I just finished the job a week ago, got the tensioner from Courtesy Nissan in Tx. I recommend it, the spring tension is much stronger on the new one and the loose chain noise it TOTALLY gone now no matter how hard I run it or lug it at any temp. I think its running smoother also. Its exactly the same size too, fits fine. Since you have it out anyway during the water pump job, just do it. You don't want to have to go in there again. The job is pita, make sure you use magnetic sockets to remove the bolts also, any other way is bullshi* I used 10 mm Deep 1/4 drive and it was perfect to handle the short screws on the water pump and cleared the cover on the tensioner fyi, all the bolt assmblies in my 97 SE had washers that were threaded on and won't come off the bolt without pliers, so that was a relief going back to put them in, but I didn't know it going in initially. If you have time you can find the 10mm deep mag cheaper than the $25 bucks the Snap On guy nailed my for on a Sunday, but don't start without it, I dropped parts into the timing cover because I was futzin with non magnet sockets and was very lucky to retrieve them, I started job without the mag socket. The part I dropped was the tensioner piston, its a real trick to manuver in there. To make it much easier, remove anti freeze res., windshield res. neck, tie off Power steering res. and hose upward to other hose(a/c hose?), remove upper portion of motor mount. You want all the room you can get to manuver in there. I have One question I didn't see any gasket behind the tensioner as in the stickie post on this? I have a 97 SE, and hope it didn't drop into the timing cover also, I don't know if the gasket mentioned is metal or fiber. I'm curious as to whether you see one or not? My ride is 97 SE, california emission car. I have pics and will be posting them in a few weeks, if you need them sooner, scooby68@optonline.net If your doing it this weekend, use a 18" bent coat hanger to hold the guide rail aside when your removing the tensioner and tie the coat hanger off to a point topside on the engine somewhere, it worked very nicely, better than the allen wrench in the stickie. Thats it for now. Vince

Originally Posted by DcMaN
ahaha well thats not happening looks like the old one is going back in : ]

Last edited by scooby68; 11-09-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added detail for clarification
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Loose Chain Tensioner

My 99 is in the shop getting a new tensioner and water pump. The noise that Scooby68 referred to. I'm wondering if it's the same noise I'd been hearing for about 6 mo's now. Sounds like a valve tapping noise?

If this is the same noise, I'm hoping and expecting that the noise will be gone once the new tensioner is on. If I get into my car and hear that noise after spending 950 for the water pump and tensioner I will be pi$$ed.

The guy at Nissan tried to get me to replace my chain, saying that the tensioner replacement is a coin toss as to whether or not it will work. I heard the chains rarely stretch unless there's a huge load, so I decided just to go with a new tensioner.

Scooby68, please let me know if the noise you were hearing sounded almost like valve tapping.

Thanks,

AxeU
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM

Hey bud, I don't know if I would categorize the sound as tapping. I would say it was more like rattling.......notable at cold start ups and during acceleration/deceleration. Otherwise during normal idling and steady rpm, it would not make any unusual sounds. Hope that helps.
Sound tracking are a tough ones, I always wanted to have a friend crazy enough to lie on the motor and pinpoint them to me while I was driving down the freeway don't ya know? :} I'd hold up hope till you get it back, one thing is for sure, it will tighten up the chain, the old tensioner I pulled out was way tired by comparison to the new installed one. Let me know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by axeu
My 99 is in the shop getting a new tensioner and water pump. The noise that Scooby68 referred to. I'm wondering if it's the same noise I'd been hearing for about 6 mo's now. Sounds like a valve tapping noise?

If this is the same noise, I'm hoping and expecting that the noise will be gone once the new tensioner is on. If I get into my car and hear that noise after spending 950 for the water pump and tensioner I will be pi$$ed.

The guy at Nissan tried to get me to replace my chain, saying that the tensioner replacement is a coin toss as to whether or not it will work. I heard the chains rarely stretch unless there's a huge load, so I decided just to go with a new tensioner.

Scooby68, please let me know if the noise you were hearing sounded almost like valve tapping.

Thanks,

AxeU

Last edited by scooby68; 12-04-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll let you know what happens once I get it back from Nissan. It also "needed" a new cam sensor, intake gasket, starter. 2100 Plus 115 for the tow.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 AM

Sometimes life just sucks don't ya know..........try to do some basic stuff yourself, buy a Haynes Manual, its alot cheaper than the "poke and hope mechanics" you get sometimes. The starter would have been a good place for you to "start", but thats been done already. Which cam sensor, above the water pump area location? Good luck with it.

I'll let you know what happens once I get it back from Nissan. It also "needed" a new cam sensor, intake gasket, starter. 2100 Plus 115 for the tow.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks,

AxeU
how much are you paying for this im going to have to do this pretty soon.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 AM

repair results

How did it go?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car is running great. The shop said my chain is stretched and that it's still making some noise, but I barely can notice it honestly. The car is performing better than it has in a long time. I even did a test with mid-grade gas and it didn't seem to harm performance.

So the noise was reduced drastically by replacing the tensioner. The performance is back thanks to a new intake gasket. Thanks for asking about it Scooby68.