4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:50 PM

tranny question

ok I have a 5th gen tranny and it refuses to go into reverse so I took the tranny out of the car and took the casing off and manualy put it into reverse with no problems but when I used a screwdriver to try and turn the linkage and push as if it would be doing if it were in the car and it wont go hopefully someone can help me with this
thanks Brandon
Old 12-25-2005, 08:34 PM
SLOW

If you have the trans back in the car, try getting into reverse by rolling the car forward first. Like start to release the clutch in 1st gear, and then while the car is still inching forward try reverse.

Could be that the trans case had been removed and bolted back on at some point in the past but the person forgot to put the bolt that holds the reverse idler shaft in its proper place was not installed when tightening down the case, and it could have slightly mishapen the bore that the reverse idle sits in, resulting it the reverse gear being just slightly out of alighnment.

I have this problem with my built transmission as a matter of fact, but I can get it in and out of reverse fine if I inch the car forward to do so. Next time I have the trans out I will be checking out the bore for the reverse idler shaft because it is the single thing I haven't checked with regards to this problem. Mine shifts perfectly on the bench every time, but once it's back in the car, it gets a little more tricky.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
If you have the trans back in the car, try getting into reverse by rolling the car forward first. Like start to release the clutch in 1st gear, and then while the car is still inching forward try reverse.

Could be that the trans case had been removed and bolted back on at some point in the past but the person forgot to put the bolt that holds the reverse idler shaft in its proper place was not installed when tightening down the case, and it could have slightly mishapen the bore that the reverse idle sits in, resulting it the reverse gear being just slightly out of alighnment.

I have this problem with my built transmission as a matter of fact, but I can get it in and out of reverse fine if I inch the car forward to do so. Next time I have the trans out I will be checking out the bore for the reverse idler shaft because it is the single thing I haven't checked with regards to this problem. Mine shifts perfectly on the bench every time, but once it's back in the car, it gets a little more tricky.
I have tried inching foward I had to do that with my previous max, are you talking about the triangle piece that is a pain to aline if so that is in place
Old 12-27-2005, 04:27 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by 95stillenmax
I have tried inching foward I had to do that with my previous max, are you talking about the triangle piece that is a pain to aline if so that is in place

Yes that is the piece im talking about. I don't mean whether or not it's inplace now, I am talking about if someone bent the bore in the past.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:24 AM
Maintenance Monster

I'll bet something small broke inside the tranny and has the reverse linkage system partly blocked.

Dave
Old 12-28-2005, 05:32 AM
JFP in PA

Originally Posted by 95stillenmax
ok I have a 5th gen tranny and it refuses to go into reverse so I took the tranny out of the car and took the casing off and manualy put it into reverse with no problems but when I used a screwdriver to try and turn the linkage and push as if it would be doing if it were in the car and it wont go hopefully someone can help me with this
thanks Brandon
My fourth gen Max has done this since the day it was delivered; several attempts by the dealer to fix this under warranty did not result in any improvement. When it decides not to go into reverse, put it in first, move it foward and inch or so, and it will go right into reverse without problems........

Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Maintenance Monster

If this is simply a matter of reverse gear occasionally not clicking in on the first try, simply put it in neutral, clutch out, clutch in, and try reverse again. Reverse gear on this transmission is not synchromeshed, so if the teeth of the gears line up exactly they won't engage. This neutral trick moves the shafts a little bit and takes but a second.

Dave
Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
If this is simply a matter of reverse gear occasionally not clicking in on the first try, simply put it in neutral, clutch out, clutch in, and try reverse again. Reverse gear on this transmission is not synchromeshed, so if the teeth of the gears line up exactly they won't engage. This neutral trick moves the shafts a little bit and takes but a second.

Dave
it dosent go in at all