4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 PM

short throw shifter?

hey .org's. i was planning on buying a SHORT THROW SHIFTER for my max. and wanted to ask.. DO they make a difference like they say 20-50%? and i came across some OBX brand? is that good?

thankz
Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
on this site too damn much

yes they make a huge difference....hands down B&M is the way to go...$125 shipped in the group buy section
Old 01-01-2006, 10:19 PM

All you need to ensure is that it is not made from some cheap aluminum material. As long as the shifter is all steel, you are good to go. More expensive STS's only give you the adjustability option. B&M comes with a shift **** thus the price tag. From a stock shifter, anything is a big improvement. You can find cheaper STS's on e-Bay, that's where I found mine and it made driving my car a lot more fun. The short throw definitely makes a difference. The longer the throw, the more the shifter will stick out in the bottom side of your car so you will have to smash your catalytic converter shield to avoid hitting it with the shifter.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have 2 used short throw shifters in front of me. They shortened the distance needed to travel.

An alternative is hacking off a portion of the stock shifter, decreasing the length of the shifter and thereby decreasing the throw distance. The downside is slight increase in strength needed to shift (buying a STS has the same disadvantage).

One thing to note is that some STS are too far forward, causing your knuckles to come close to the console. This's because they simply make the lower portion below the pivot longer, without re-angling the upper portion above the pivot.

Jae
Old 01-02-2006, 03:12 AM

I have to disagree........throw changes when the distance between the ball and the bottom end of the shifter that attaches to the shifter rod (the end with the bearings) increases. On adjustables, you can actually move the ball up or down. When you move the ball up, this distance increases effectively shortening the "throw" of the shifter. The longer this distance get...the shorter the throw will be. Merely cutting down the top end of the shifter (where the **** attaches to) doesn't change the throw. Instead, it will take more effort to shift into gears because the leverage has been reduced as a result. Some STS is too forward in a sense causing your knuckle to come close to the radio console or the shifter itself collides against the shifter trim. This is because the bend on the STS is not the same as the oem one. The solution would be to take your shifter to an exhaust shop so that they can heat the metal enough to bend the shifter more to allow clearance. Not all STS are made the same, so you need to do your research when purchasing e-Bay shifters. Or you can bite the bullet and pay over $100 for a shifter that requires little effort to install. But I'd rather do a little more work and save the $$$ for more mods.

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
An alternative is hacking off a portion of the stock shifter, decreasing the length of the shifter and thereby decreasing the throw distance. The downside is slight increase in strength needed to shift (buying a STS has the same disadvantage).

One thing to note is that some STS are too far forward, causing your knuckles to come close to the console. This's because they simply make the lower portion below the pivot longer, without re-angling the upper portion above the pivot.

Jae
Old 01-02-2006, 04:09 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

i have had Pacesetter adjustable with no problems at all for over 2 years
Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by anj109
yes they make a huge difference....hands down B&M is the way to go...$125 shipped in the group buy section
B&M is absolutely the best!!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:22 AM
tastey wheat

SRE off ebay. cheap, works good, what have you got to lose?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:30 AM

B&M the only way to go, dont waste the money on knok offs!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
All good. U clarified what I wrote. Most definitions of "short throw" refer to the distance the shift **** travels. How this is attained, is up to the user. As for the shifter sitting too far forward, The angle created by the upper and lower sections has not been changed from stock. Next time I have the B&M out, I'll take pics comparing it to stock.

Good info DR-Max.

Jae
Old 01-02-2006, 12:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Should it break under hard use, you've got to tear everything down to replace it again. I've read of incidents on here where a STS actually snapped during use, a cheap one.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Should it break under hard use, you've got to tear everything down to replace it again. I've read of incidents on here where a STS actually snapped during use, a cheap one.
Was that here on .org?
Jae
Old 01-02-2006, 01:12 PM

I have the same STS off ebay for 1k miles now. I absolutely love it, have no problems whatsoeever. The only issue I had during install is that the shifter is alot straighter than the oem shifter thus it was hitting the trim whenever I shifted to 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears. I simply solved that by having the steel heated and bent exactly the same as the oem shifter. I waiting for my new custom boots to come in from Redlinegoods.com. As soon as I get them and have them installed, then I'll take pix and post them.

Originally Posted by mendon99
SRE off ebay. cheap, works good, what have you got to lose?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by pmohr

was it even steel? aluminum ones will do this. steel most likely won't assuming the welds aren't crap.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:09 PM

THANKS alot yea'll......for the info. i plan on getin it.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:58 PM

will ae **** go on b&m unit?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96mAx2fast
B&M is absolutely the best!!!!

stillen is.. not b&m
Old 01-05-2006, 05:26 PM

"I have to disagree........throw changes when the distance between the ball and the bottom end of the shifter that attaches to the shifter rod (the end with the bearings) increases. On adjustables, you can actually move the ball up or down. When you move the ball up, this distance increases effectively shortening the "throw" of the shifter. The longer this distance get...the shorter the throw will be. Merely cutting down the top end of the shifter (where the **** attaches to) doesn't change the throw. Instead, it will take more effort to shift into gears because the leverage has been reduced as a result. Some STS is too forward in a sense causing your knuckle to come close to the radio console or the shifter itself collides against the shifter trim. This is because the bend on the STS is not the same as the oem one. The solution would be to take your shifter to an exhaust shop so that they can heat the metal enough to bend the shifter more to allow clearance. Not all STS are made the same, so you need to do your research when purchasing e-Bay shifters. Or you can bite the bullet and pay over $100 for a shifter that requires little effort to install. But I'd rather do a little more work and save the $$$ for more mods. "

Actually cuting the stock shifter were the **** goes DOES make shorter shifts - easy way to check is grab your shifter way at the bottom and try to shift it will be much shorter than if you grab the shift **** at the top. But still an after market shifter is the right way to get shorter shifts
Old 01-05-2006, 05:28 PM

--DR-Max-- "Merely cutting down the top end of the shifter (where the **** attaches to) doesn't change the throw."

Actually cuting the stock shifter were the **** goes DOES make shorter shifts - easy way to check is grab your shifter way at the bottom and try to shift it will be much shorter than if you grab the shift **** at the top. But still an after market shifter is a better way to get the shorter shifting
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Courtesy Nissan STS Rocks !
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM
^ Jeff™

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=450144