4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Chattering from Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Chattering from Timing Chain

Help me out. I just bought a nice 95 SE. Well, since the weather has been quite warm Ive noticed that Im getting a very loud and annoying timing chain rattle, chatter when it is either stopped at a stop light or idle after it has warmed up. Im thinking it shouldnt sound like this. It wasnt like this before, I assume because I bought the car when it was very cold outside the metal in a sense was contracted and now that it has gotten hotter outside it has expanded and made it loose? What can I do to fix this? Or what is needing to be done?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You'll need to replace the timing chain tensioner. Common in early 4th gens.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:54 AM

Thanks.....................
Old 01-09-2006, 06:38 AM

Yeah I had to do this, common on 95's, but I got the chatter when the engine was cold, I changed the chain al well as the tensioner, as it wasn't very expensive ( around $80 I think) to be safe, it's very hard to measure a stretched chain. Good luck
Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 AM

Yeah, I think I might just get the chain and the tensioner replaced just for that reason. You cant measure a stretched chain.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 AM

There is no reason to replace a timing chain unless the links are cracked (highly unlikely but remotely possible, i guess). Ever-so-slight stretching is bound to happen but it would only affect the valve timing a fraction of a degree so it's nothing to worry about. I removed the timing chain from my dad's old VQ that i replaced with 276k on the clock and had overheated to boot. The chain was fine.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
There is no reason to replace a timing chain unless the links are cracked (highly unlikely but remotely possible, i guess). Ever-so-slight stretching is bound to happen but it would only affect the valve timing a fraction of a degree so it's nothing to worry about. I removed the timing chain from my dad's old VQ that i replaced with 276k on the clock and had overheated to boot. The chain was fine.
So you're telling me you are going to go through all that labour, time and effort, also risking "affect the valve timing a fraction of a degree" and not spend $52.10 (Pinnacle Nissan parts online) for a new chain. This is a car you're maintaining ( one we happen to have a passion for!) not a vacuum!

SPEND THE $52.10!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Well, let's put it this way, you can replace the tensioner without pulling the timing chain cover... but you can't replace the chain that way.

Replacing the chain is a whole different can of worms than just replacing the tensioner.

I had mine done under warranty just before I hit 60k and Nissan replaced the tensioner, and tensioner guide, but did not replace the chain. I even offered to pay out of pocket for that part and the techs were laughing at me when I suggested it. I know they pulled the entire cover when they did the job though since I can see the RTV all the way around the timing chain cover...

Just my 2c.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 AM

Well, my max only has 68k miles on it though. Still consider replacing the timing chain?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Is say do the tensioner first... especially if you can do it via the access cover... if you pull the entire timing chain cover, it's a toss-up... I don't think it's necessary, but if you'll sleep better at night, then do it.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
So you're telling me you are going to go through all that labour, time and effort, also risking "affect the valve timing a fraction of a degree" and not spend $52.10 (Pinnacle Nissan parts online) for a new chain. This is a car you're maintaining ( one we happen to have a passion for!) not a vacuum!

SPEND THE $52.10!
It's $52 for the chain but hundreds and hundreds in labor (if you don't do it yourself). It's a pain in the a$$ for nothing. I know 4G's intimately, i've removed high mileage motors, torn them down etc., so i speak from experience. Replacing the timing chain is completely unnecessary as it lasts for the life of the car except in a few rare cases. Like i said, (speaking from experience again) I've removed a timing chain from a VQ that overheated with 276k on the clock and the timing chain was perfectly fine. Not cracks or chips or anything. It IS NOT a maintenance item. Replacing the timing chain makes as much sense as replacing the cams or transmission torque convertor. Yes, it's that useless. Furthermore, you don't even have to remove the timing cover to replace the tensioner so WTF are you talking about? Please refrain from posting on this topic lest you own yourself further.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Made in Taiwan

well, since you're opening up that chain cover, make sure you get these replaced or at least checked:
1)main chain tensioner (this one is for the long timing chain, the part number for this one has superceded to the new design, you want to by the timing chain guide that comes with it because of the new angled design)

2)cam chain tensioners (these are smaller chain tensioners for the cam's sproket chains, i had clattering noises before, too. and i thought it was the main timing chain alone, but i discovered at the time that the cam chain tensioners are also beated up on the plastic guides. Bad tensioners will make your chains go awol and slap against the timing chain cover, that's where my noises come from)

3) inspect water pump carefully for a possible replacement. This is not a must, but basing on car condition and milage, you should put this into consideration. in the mean time, lower oil pan gasket, crankshaft seal, and tming guides are things on the look out, also.

Good luck, it's going to be some work because that timing chain cover is a pain in the butt to take off due to limited space.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

busted timing chain

help help help!! forgive my ignorance, but i sure could use a little maxima expertise.. i snapped the timing chain in my 1995 maxima and the mechanic told me that i probably destroyed the cams, pistons, blah, blah, etc.. is this true? he opened one side of the engine and saw no damage, but he is trying to get me to pop for a whole new engine.. anyone have any advice for me here?? and approx costs????? 188k miles and it WAS running great!! thanks!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by schoka
help help help!! forgive my ignorance, but i sure could use a little maxima expertise.. i snapped the timing chain in my 1995 maxima and the mechanic told me that i probably destroyed the cams, pistons, blah, blah, etc.. is this true? he opened one side of the engine and saw no damage, but he is trying to get me to pop for a whole new engine.. anyone have any advice for me here?? and approx costs????? 188k miles and it WAS running great!! thanks!!!
WTF are people doing to their motors to cause this? Anyway, since the VQ is an interference motor there is probably some damage since the pistons hit the valves. Either way, the motor needs to be torn apart and rebuilt as necessary or replaced.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks nismology.. is it a certainty that there is damage when the chain snaps? obviously, there is a huge difference in price when it comes to replacing the chain and an engine..
Old 01-09-2006, 10:01 AM

Wow, you snapped the chain! Im just going to do the tensioner. Thanks guys.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

are people doing to their motors to cause this?
Fixed ... .
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Made in Taiwan

snapping the chain will cause you damages for sure. instead of rebuilding your motor, you should just get a new motor from a junkyard and cram it in, make sure that motor you're getting has good warrantees. I did both getting a shot motor from junk and having to rebuild it after all. So be careful which you are doing...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

thanks nismology.. is it a certainty that there is damage when the chain snaps? obviously, there is a huge difference in price when it comes to replacing the chain and an engine..
The difference between a used engine and replacing the TC can depend greatly. if the engine was running, then surely there's damage.. but this comes to mind-->
Either way, the motor needs to be torn apart and rebuilt as necessary or replaced.
A used VQ goes for 300-600
Timing chain, 300, no labor
1500 if you pay for labor..
Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM

My engine has been making chain rattle noise.
I am wondering if that is because of a bad tensioner, what happens if I do not replace that. Will that enentually cause the timing chain to slip?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the help

looks like i'm going with a junkyard special, which will set me back $3k after installation.. good times!! now i'll be without my baby for a week..
Old 01-09-2006, 12:54 PM

Hey relax tough guy, obviously you think it's not necessary to change the chain with your experience and you're entitled to your opinion, and being 20 years old you must have vast mechanical experience, but I'm entitled to my opinion also and I only suggested spending $52 not $520 or a figure that may cause some consideration on wether it's worth spending or not. To me the $52 is a no brainer for the peace of mind so I chose to spend the $ because of the amount of time and labour required. I'd just hate for his sake to be as YOU put it "the rare case".

It's $52 for the chain but hundreds and hundreds in labor (if you don't do it yourself). It's a pain in the a$$ for nothing. I know 4G's intimately, i've removed high mileage motors, torn them down etc., so i speak from experience. Replacing the timing chain is completely unnecessary as it lasts for the life of the car except in a few rare cases. Like i said, (speaking from experience again) I've removed a timing chain from a VQ that overheated with 276k on the clock and the timing chain was perfectly fine. Not cracks or chips or anything. It IS NOT a maintenance item. Replacing the timing chain makes as much sense as replacing the cams or transmission torque convertor. Yes, it's that useless. Furthermore, you don't even have to remove the timing cover to replace the tensioner so WTF are you talking about? Please refrain from posting on this topic lest you own yourself further.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Direct engine swap shouldn't cost you 2000$ in labor alone Where do you people get your quotes from.

looks like i'm going with a junkyard special, which will set me back $3k after installation.. good times!! now i'll be without my baby for a week..
and being 20 years old you must have vast mechanical experience,

IBoldguygetspwnt
Old 01-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Hey relax tough guy, obviously you think it's not necessary to change the chain with your experience and you're entitled to your opinion, and being 20 years old you must have vast mechanical experience, but I'm entitled to my opinion also and I only suggested spending $52 not $520 or a figure that may cause some consideration on wether it's worth spending or not. To me the $52 is a no brainer for the peace of mind so I chose to spend the $ because of the amount of time and labour required. I'd just hate for his sake to be as YOU put it "the rare case".
I think the point nismology was trying to make was that replacing just the tensioner is an entirely different job from replacing the chain. I tried to allude to that in my earlier post. You can replace the tensioner just via the access cover, whereas you have to pull the entire timing chain cover off to replace the chain. The work involved is different like night-and-day.

If you pull the timing chain cover off, then yes, it's another 52 bucks, but I believe you'll still have to pull the water pump, etc. to get the chain off.

When you start going down that path, other quesrtions like, why not replace the water pump, crankshaft pulley seal, etc. start popping up.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Direct engine swap shouldn't cost you 2000$ in labor alone Where do you people get your quotes from.
That's the quote I gave him .. I told him I'd throw in some wiper-blades and a car wash.... why, is that not a good price ?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by njmodi
That's the quote I gave him
Damn .. I'd say it could be done for a little cheaper than that, or did I just your profit. But do the wiper blades have an alcohol drenched wet wipe?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Damn .. I'd say it could be done for a little cheaper than that, or did I just your profit. But do the wiper blades have an alcohol drenched wet wipe?
Damn you Nmex.. there goes my bonus for next month Actually my wiper-blades (patent pending) have a depends-based lining - so it absorbs the rain like nothing else... it's a very dependable technology.

I have no idea where he got 2k from....
Old 01-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Hey relax tough guy, obviously you think it's not necessary to change the chain with your experience and you're entitled to your opinion, and being 20 years old you must have vast mechanical experience,
Please explain WTF my age has to do with ANYTHING, let alone this discussion...
but I'm entitled to my opinion also and I only suggested spending $52 not $520 or a figure that may cause some consideration on wether it's worth spending or not. To me the $52 is a no brainer for the peace of mind so I chose to spend the $ because of the amount of time and labour required. I'd just hate for his sake to be as YOU put it "the rare case".
Does the term "statistical anomaly" have any meaning to you? During the years that i've been on this site so far and all the people i've known that own VQ-equipped vehicles i can literally count the instances of timing chain failures on one hand. This isn't to say it's impossible, but the probability of it happening is .00001%, if even that. If you want to replace the chain and waste your time, go right ahead. But no properly mainted VQ-equipped vehicle has had a chain snap on them AFAIK. FWIW, i'd bet the cases of timing chain failure have lack of proper lubrication and/or overheating in common.

P.S. I've heard of dealer service departments charging upwards of $700 to remove the timing cover for w/e reason. Seem cost-effective to you? Furthermore, replacing the tensioner and replacing the timing chain don't even come close to be comparable as far as the work required to do each is concerned. If you think so, you haven't in fact done the work yourself like you said earlier.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ziya20
My engine has been making chain rattle noise.
I am wondering if that is because of a bad tensioner, what happens if I do not replace that. Will that enentually cause the timing chain to slip?

Please advise.

Thanks.
The worst that can happen if you ignore the rattle and don't replace the tensioner is that the chain can jump teeth on the sprockets. It will cause incorrect valve timing, which in turn will cause the ignition timing to go out of whack which can lead to starting issues, loss of power, etc.

Cliffs: Get that thing replaced.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM

I'm only charging a customer $700 for a DE-K swap FTL...
Old 01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'm only charging a customer $700 for a DE-K swap FTL...
I was going to tell that dude 600$, since you pay 100$ for the K in DEK.
Actually my wiper-blades (patent pending) have a depends-based lining - so it absorbs the rain like nothing else... it's a very dependable technology
Old 01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I was going to tell that dude 600$, since you pay 100$ for the K in DEK.
Thats the truth. I would itemize the bill, $100 for the K treatment and another $100 for the JB-Weld mod. No point have a K that don't work.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Alright guys, I seem to have a bit of a siuation. I dont know which one it is. The guy at the dealership quoted me 1212 dollars for a replacement of all tensioners sprockets, gasket for the housing, timing chain itself. He even stated a 10.5 hour job for all of this. Once he asked me which tensioner my mind went blank. Which one is it that goes out on the 95 Maximas?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by max88q
Alright guys, I seem to have a bit of a siuation. I dont know which one it is. The guy at the dealership quoted me 1212 dollars for a replacement of all tensioners sprockets, gasket for the housing, timing chain itself. He even stated a 10.5 hour job for all of this. Once he asked me which tensioner my mind went blank. Which one is it that goes out on the 95 Maximas?
The main timing chain tensioner. If he doesn't know what you mean he's an idiot. So are you gonna go through with replacing the chain or just the tensioner?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM

I think the point nismology was trying to make was that replacing just the tensioner is an entirely different job from replacing the chain. I tried to allude to that in my earlier post. You can replace the tensioner just via the access cover, whereas you have to pull the entire timing chain cover off to replace the chain. The work involved is different like night-and-day.
+1. Then again he's supposedly replaced the chain himself, so he should already know that.
If you pull the timing chain cover off, then yes, it's another 52 bucks, but I believe you'll still have to pull the water pump, etc. to get the chain off.
Nah, the water pump can stay put when the chain is removed.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 PM

Where is the main timing chain tensioner located? I think these guys might try to jip me. I dont know too much about the VQ's.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by max88q
Where is the main timing chain tensioner located? I think these guys might try to jip me. I dont know too much about the VQ's.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...20&catalogid=1

It's the item labeled #20 on the left side of the big timing chain.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks, Im just going to do the timing chain tensioner.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Nah, the water pump can stay put when the chain is removed.
Huh - interesting.. I'll have to look at my FSM again... thanks!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:21 PM

Huh - interesting.. I'll have to look at my FSM again... thanks!
Yea. You just remove the tensioner and swing the guide out of the way. Then you rotate the rear bank intake camshaft clockwise to get enough slack to remove the chain from the main intake sprockets. That's what i did anyway.

Quick Reply: Chattering from Timing Chain