4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help - Thinking about buying a project Maxima: Doesn't start, elec. problems, cheap

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 AM

Help - Thinking about buying a project Maxima: Doesn't start, elec. problems, cheap

Here is his description of what is wrong:

My car simply stopped working about one month ago, and three different mechanics cannot diagnose the specific problem. All of the mechanices told me that it is having issues with the coils not firing simultaneously, which can be routed back to timing issues with the computer. The coils, computer and spark plugs were all replaced to test it, yet nothing changed. It has a 5 speed manual transmission.
I could get it on the cheap, but want to make sure I can fix it first. I'm waiting to hear about the rest of the ammenities on the car, sunroof, leather, mileage, etc. that would make it more appealing.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:00 AM

So you also don't know the year, it's milage or the asking price. Because our advice isn't gonna help much without that info.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:00 AM

If that is the extent of the problems then it will be an easy fix.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:07 AM

ignition swith or cas
Old 01-14-2006, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chucks98
So you also don't know the year, it's milage or the asking price. Because our advice isn't gonna help much without that info.
'96, sub $2k price, finding out mileage. I just need to know if it's fixable noob
Old 01-14-2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by thisasian
'96, sub $2k price, finding out mileage. I just need to know if it's fixable noob
anything is fixable, depends on how long and how determined you are to get it fixed.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:43 AM

anything is fixable, depends on how long and how determined you are to get it fixed.
Right, lol, only determined if it's relatively easy to fix. Like, less than $1k and 1 week of time after work. I've replaced the A/C and starter, and done all of my mods by myself so I consider myself a beginner-to-intermediate mechanic.
Really, just want to make sure I have an understanding of what I would be getting into before I go after it. Just don't want to be in over my head, and with $$ invested in a car that I or three paid professional mechanics can't fix.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:50 AM

Well dont under estimate the problem. The mechanics could have not known what they are doing, but whats the chances with 3 of them not being able to solve it.

I personally think the mechanics may not know the key elements to the max not starting.

You can fix any problem on the max if you have $1k to spend. I feel it could be the ignition switch (commonly over looked), or CPS (which if bad, the car wont start).

I'd say get it, the parts to make it start will cost less than $1K

starter
ignition switch
battery
CPS
fuel pump
injectors
coils
Old 01-14-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Well dont under estimate the problem. The mechanics could have not known what they are doing, but whats the chances with 3 of them not being able to solve it.

I personally think the mechanics may not know the key elements to the max not starting.
I thought the same thing, and figured the wealth of .Org knowledge would be able to help me get the car going.

You can fix any problem on the max if you have $1k to spend. I feel it could be the ignition switch (commonly over looked), or CPS (which if bad, the car wont start).

I'd say get it, the parts to make it start will cost less than $1K

starter
ignition switch
battery
CPS
fuel pump
injectors
coils
Thanks, I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. What are the CAS and CPS?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:57 AM

crank angle sensor and crank position sensor, im pretty sure they are the same thing when i posted i meant to say crank position sensor not CAS
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 PM

My guess at the difficulty in repairing these on a scale of 1-5, 1 easy, 5 difficult.

1 starter
2 ignition switch
0.5 battery
3 CPS
3 fuel pump
4 injectors
4 coils

still trying to gauge if this thing is worth my time
Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 PM

wow, cause i could of bought a 96 max for $800. All that was wrong with it was the right control arm, left half-shaft n maybe tie rod. I didn't even buy it. I honestly don't think that $2k for a non starting 96 max is a good price.

P.S. i did'nt buy it because i was afraid the tranny got messed up and i have too many cars. I wouldn't of made money after i sold it neways
Old 01-16-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
wow, cause i could of bought a 96 max for $800. All that was wrong with it was the right control arm, left half-shaft n maybe tie rod. I didn't even buy it. I honestly don't think that $2k for a non starting 96 max is a good price.

P.S. i did'nt buy it because i was afraid the tranny got messed up and i have too many cars. I wouldn't of made money after i sold it neways
for $800, I would have purchased that max. Tie-rods are cheap, axles dont cost too much, and control arm is about half the price of an axle (raxles). For about $300 you could have had that max up and running just lovely. Still a good price even if the tranny was going out the door.

Man . . . I wish I could come accross good deals like this
Old 01-16-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou

"Less than $2k", I'm guessing I could get it for $1200.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 PM

Is this the '96 5spd that was at Marlboro Nissan last and was on Craigslist? I thought about it and decided to pass.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:15 PM

for a 1000 i would buy if no more though
Old 01-16-2006, 03:45 PM

I bought mine 1996 Maxima SE fully loaded (digital climate, leather, bose, moonroof, heated seats etc.) with 119k for $900 in perfect shape. No body or engine problems still driving it.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 PM

I'd just swap the engine altogether. VQ30's are dirt cheap and you can get a relatively low mileage engine installed in that thing no problem.

LEMAR
Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by thisasian
My guess at the difficulty in repairing these on a scale of 1-5, 1 easy, 5 difficult.

1 starter
2 ignition switch
0.5 battery
3 CPS
3 fuel pump
4 injectors
4 coils

still trying to gauge if this thing is worth my time
If you think swapping injectors or coils is difficult I wouldn't recommend getting into this project. Coils are fairly easy. The only hard part about injectors is getting the upper intake manifold off which is a pain in the *** because of the 3 bolts in on the back side. But other then that if you have a hard time with those then I wouldn't buy it.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
If you think swapping injectors or coils is difficult I wouldn't recommend getting into this project. Coils are fairly easy. The only hard part about injectors is getting the upper intake manifold off which is a pain in the *** because of the 3 bolts in on the back side. But other then that if you have a hard time with those then I wouldn't buy it.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by jvienneau
Is this the '96 5spd that was at Marlboro Nissan last and was on Craigslist? I thought about it and decided to pass.
Dunno if this is at Marlboro Nissan. It's near Newport, and yes it's on CL. If someone gets it before me, let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by dariod
I bought mine 1996 Maxima SE fully loaded (digital climate, leather, bose, moonroof, heated seats etc.) with 119k for $900 in perfect shape. No body or engine problems still driving it.
Sounds like you got your Max for a real good price. Dunno what I'll get this one for, but we'll see what it looks like after I go have a look at it tonight.

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
Again, just looking for input on my difficulty rankings b/c I have never done most of these repairs. I would put replacing the A/C compressor which I did on my first Max at about 3, if that gives you any kind of index to work from. Here are the new rankings based on your input.

--0 battery--
1 starter - done it
2 ignition switch
2 fuel pump - done it
3 CPS
3 coils
4 injectors
--5 engine swap--

Any other suggetions about what might be wrong with it. PM If anyone wants to go with me to look at it tonight.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:49 AM

Coils once again are about a 2 or 1 even. Injectors, if they are visible 1 not visible 2 or 3. Engine swap is 5 for obvious reasons. I have never done an A/C condenser so I wouldn't know.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 PM

let me save you some pain, don't buy it! i have one thats been through the same thing and still no fix to it, not even with the help of the org. I've got $500 in it plus theres already a new starter in it, if you can get it running (occassionally it runs) it goes like a ****. Now i'm not saying you have my problem, but you may. Get the dealer to take out a spark plug and see if its soaked, if so RUN!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:28 PM

Hmmm, just went to look at it tonight. $1000 and he will have it towed to where ever I want. Throw in $100 for the registration and taxes, etc, and I'm down $1100. Now, I have to wonder if it's worth my time to attempt to fix and sell, or just part out. I'd have to get a temporary garage, $100/mo, so I'm in for $1200 at least. Holler if you have any experience w/ parting out a car. I'm wondering how much a full Maxima is worth parted out (ballpark).

Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 PM

It depends on how good of condition. But I say that from the looks you will more then likely make your money back plus some. But if you have to rent out a garage then it may not be worth it to you because you will have it for a couple months and what not. Do you have the tools? If you have the tools go for it if you really want to. But it is pretty demanding because people will want random pieces that you will have no clue what they are.

It depends on how good of condition. But I say that from the looks you will more then likely make your money back plus some. But if you have to rent out a garage then it may not be worth it to you because you will have it for a couple months and what not. Do you have the tools? If you have the tools go for it if you really want to. But it is pretty demanding because people will want random pieces that you will have no clue what they are.