4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter Help Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:36 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Starter Help Needed!!!

Hey, I'm having a problem with my starter. I regreased it last week, and yesterday, i turned the key, all i could hear is a click. I had someone turn the key many times, and i felt the starter solenoid engaging, i touched it while the key was turned.

I've checker the starter signal fuse, anti-theft/start relay, and clutch interlock relay (not too sure if that one was working or not, didnt click when i attepted to turn the car on). the ignition relay clicks, and the starter solenoid clicks.

The battery is charged, and nothing was wrong with starting the car previous to this. Car started perfectly after regreasing with wolf's head red grease.

My car is converted from auto to 5spd, so I can start it without the clutch being depressed, the park/neutral safety switch wires are connected, and that was never a problem before.

I need this car for my everyday commute, All signs point to starter failure, and i wanna know if i should go ahead and get a starter from the junkyard, or check some other points.

Thanks, need a reply quickly.

-Freddy
Old 01-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Do I get a tax break?

If the solenoid is engaging, then it's time for a new starter...
Old 01-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Maxima lover

You checked everything I did when my car was having starter problems. My bet would be on your solenoid. My solenoid was making noise as well, but was the cause of my problems. It shouldn't have anything to do with your fuse, anti-theft/start relay, or clutch interlock relay as you wouldn't be getting a signal to your solenoid if it was one of those. Before you go get a whole new starter you might want to take off the wire from the solenoid and touch it right to the starter (bypass the solenoid) while someone else holds the key in the start position. If it doesn't work, you’ll know the starter itself is the problem. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Custom User Title...

I had the same problem when I regreased mine, and even later when I put in a low mileaged used starter just to be safe. After swearing and storming around for a few minutes, I took a deep breath and removed the starter, hit it once or twice, and re-installed it making sure the connections were tight and secure. I think the ground is very touchy and tempermental because it started up perfectly after that. With a new battery and low mileage starter, my maxima has never started up so well...makes me sad to sell it. So double check the ground wire and just redo those connections and hopefully you'll have the luck I did...Goodluck!
Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
You checked everything I did when my car was having starter problems. My bet would be on your solenoid. My solenoid was making noise as well, but was the cause of my problems. It shouldn't have anything to do with your fuse, anti-theft/start relay, or clutch interlock relay as you wouldn't be getting a signal to your solenoid if it was one of those. Before you go get a whole new starter you might want to take off the wire from the solenoid and touch it right to the starter (bypass the solenoid) while someone else holds the key in the start position. If it doesn't work, you’ll know the starter itself is the problem. Good luck.

how would i touch it straight to the starter? wouldnt there be lots of sparks?

I'm interested in doing anything I can to avoid buying a new starter..
Old 01-23-2006, 09:13 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

bump....................
Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Maxima lover

Yes it will make some sparks, but nothing crazy as long as you put it right on and right off. Just unbolt the wire coming from the battery and touch it to the other post on the solenoid so it goes directly to the starter. Also to correct my post above, you will not have to have someone hold it in the start position, just make sure it is in the run position. Also since you are a 5-speed make sure it is IN NEUTRAL with the e-brake on when you touch the starter otherwise your car will take off.