4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question ... about cutting stock springs to lower.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Wild for Width

Why dont you just do it if you are such a badass OG. BTW ricers have been doing this since before YOU got your license.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 PM
on this site too damn much

its also not only risking your safety but everyone on the road around you when one of your springs snaps under all that pressure and you lose control of your car....you should be for posting such a ridiculous thread and then being such a **** when people are trying to give you advice
Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Those who think it's risky or bad for handling read this: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=447301

If you do it properly if will increase your handling. What it will not help you with is the ride. If you ganna do it cut 1/4 of one coil. Than another 1/4. It's alot of work doing it like that, but that's the only way you ganna end up with the right setup.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by anj109
its also not only risking your safety but everyone on the road around you when one of your springs snaps under all that pressure and you lose control of your car....you should be for posting such a ridiculous thread and then being such a **** when people are trying to give you advice
first off, show me one thread where a spring snapped because someone a cut coil off of it. secondly, when people heat there springs, you change the load strenght of the spring due to the slow cooling.. you weaken the metal.. didnt know that did you? stretch out the spring from a pen, heat it up with a lighter, and see what it does after it cools off. do it again, dip it in water to cool it off, and see what happens..

the thread is not rediculous, its completely plausible

i dont want advice from people that dont have experience.. call me a **** if you want, but do your homework first and know wtf your talkin about b4 you do..

u think im gonna listen to advice from people that cant even read the first post in this thread? one kid is 16, two others are 20.. so yea.. ill pass on that. there the same people buying intakes cause they think it makes there car faster.

id like to find the people that told me not to waste money on frame connectors and smack them in the head cause they said it was a waste of money.

your the prodigity child that drives around with your eibachs, your gr-2s, and 18" rims, and then sits there with your head up your a$$ wondering why your car rattles so much, and rides like sh-t .. AND THEN.. when someone else asks for advice on a set up.. you tell em it rides great.. thats the problem with people like you.. you dont even know your dumb.

ill tell you the key to a lowered car that rides good and still handles like a sports car. stiff chassis, soft suspension.. so you can keep buying strut bars and sway bars and all that nice stuff.. ill look for a way that works.

JUST TO MAKE A POINT.. not one person on this thread that has negative things to say, has any experience with having it done.. mabye next time i have a tooth-ache ill ask a stripper what to do about it. you sound like your about as smart as one.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i cut 2 coils off my intrax. they rode ok on agx, but ride terrible on stockers. they hit the bumps a lot, but thats expected on a stock sized strut with any drop spring.
i cut different amounts of coils on a 200sx. anything over 1/2 coil is to much really.
i always used a cut off wheel. it worked fine.
i have better options:
1) get 5 spd springs front and SE springs rear. that will lower the front some on your auto.
2) get some coil compressors and hold the coils together without cutting them. you can always take them off if you dont like it.
3)i have been looking into parts off other nissans. the rear struts and springs of a b14 (sentra/200sx) or P11 (G20) are the same desing as a 4th gen. the strut is 1" shorter, the springs are thinner (softer rate). 3rd gens front springs may be shorter, im still looking, i had the 94 fsm but my unzip trial thing ended, so i have to DL another.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:47 PM
100% chingon

I've tried this a LONG time ago. It was a disaster. The car (NOT a Max) rode lower, certainly, but every time I went over a decent sized lump in the road, the car bounced off the bump stops, a horrible banging sensation. Then, sick of that, I swapped in some shorter springs I found in the scrapyard, they must have been off an earth-mover or something, because the result was the car no longer hit the bump stops; instead, every road lump was 'attacked', the car bouncing into the air, like riding with no springs at all. Never again. Of course I was just a kid in those days.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:58 PM

if i had the time, and the patience... i would look into having the spring mounts relocated on the struts themsleves. move em down an inch and a half, throw on stock springs, and call it a day.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:35 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

nobody here will condone spring cutting its very dangerous. try another spring company....
Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
if i had the time, and the patience... i would look into having the spring mounts relocated on the struts themsleves. move em down an inch and a half, throw on stock springs, and call it a day.
you can do something like this. there is a 6th genner with custom built parts. he basiclly raised the lower mounting holes about 1". thats about as far as you can go before the CV boot gets to close to the strut.

3rd gens have shorter struts. im not sure if the spring seat is in the same spot relitive to a 4th gen. only problem is moving the spring seat is tire clearance then loss of suspension travle.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:01 AM
amimaxima

has anyone ever cut lowering springs

Old 01-26-2006, 07:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by amimaxima
has anyone ever cut lowering springs
Try one of my links, or read the ENTIRE thread.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:03 PM

there has to be a way to get the car lower and still ride normal.. i basically have the softest possible set up with h&r's and illumina's set on 1. im swithching to a grand touring tire soon also to help out the ride a little more.. there has to be a viable way..
Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

blah blah blah i had my rear sprints cut when i had them. about 1/2 coil or something......i bought them like that.....they rode like crap....and un-cut sprints ride like crap as well.....
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 PM

manualmaxima- what are you runnin now, talk about sexy drop
Old 01-27-2006, 01:42 PM

IF YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH AT LEAST 5 SETUPS, MEANS YOU GOT SOME MONEY TO YOUR NAME. WHY DON'T YOU STOP ASKING AND JUST DO IT!!!!

P.S. my friend had it on his altima, he was bouncing around so much he lost control sometimes, looked good till one month later when he blew all his struts. Oh, n it was a 2 year old car btw...

P.P.S. are you the type of kid that when ur mother said don't touch that its hot. You didn't believe her n touched whatever she said do'nt touch n burnt the crap out of ur hands??
Old 01-27-2006, 03:53 PM

My fathers car has cut springs, pretty low to the ground. The ride leaves something to be desired, but it handles better. As long as you don't cut too many coils off of it, you should be fine. I personally decided to run with spring compressing brackets, with them just holding on to 2 coils. They are strong enough and have lasted me 2 years so far. The ride is stiffer, and I feel little bumps on the road more, but with my 225/50/r16 tires, my car seems to handle better. All I need to get now is some type of urethane bushing on my strut so it won't bottom out on serious potholes or bumps. Overall, it is a tradeoff between ride quality and looks IMO. Hope this helps
Old 01-27-2006, 04:25 PM

anyone who has been on here for any decent amount of time knows coilovers are the best bet for a low ride but maintain some comfort.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by rogertight
My fathers car has cut springs, pretty low to the ground. The ride leaves something to be desired, but it handles better. As long as you don't cut too many coils off of it, you should be fine. I personally decided to run with spring compressing brackets, with them just holding on to 2 coils. They are strong enough and have lasted me 2 years so far. The ride is stiffer, and I feel little bumps on the road more, but with my 225/50/r16 tires, my car seems to handle better. All I need to get now is some type of urethane bushing on my strut so it won't bottom out on serious potholes or bumps. Overall, it is a tradeoff between ride quality and looks IMO. Hope this helps
no.. im the type of guy that will find a solution cause im tired of everyone saying its impossible.. your the type of guy that thinks ben's extened travel mounts are a good design..
Old 01-28-2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by rogertight
no.. im the type of guy that will find a solution cause im tired of everyone saying its impossible.. your the type of guy that thinks ben's extened travel mounts are a good design..
Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
anyone who has been on here for any decent amount of time knows coilovers are the best bet for a low ride but maintain some comfort.
yes, but coilovers have there own issues and headaches as well..
Old 01-29-2006, 05:31 AM

If you don't like the opinions that others have given that are directly related to the questions you're asking, then just cut the damn springs.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 98maximagle
If you don't like the opinions that others have given that are directly related to the questions you're asking, then just cut the damn springs.