4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Give Me Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
VE is a measure of how much air an engine ingests compared to theoretical. So, yes, it does, at least qualitatively.
At 2K, looks like a 10% drop, does that correlate to 25 horses for a 255 rated VQ35? Likely that will be at crank shaft output. What would it be at the wheel?

You have the ideal setup, older car with mod and stock new car. My '98 runs fine so I am not ready to do mods yet.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SVI30
I read it, looked like a long term project. Great if it is a spare car. Also, the numbers looked pretty big, about $3K if everything done right. Giving up the VVT doesn't get you all the power, so it's a catch 22. This is definitely not a backyard project..
News to me. I did my swap in my driveway. And it cost 2.5k for the swap and headers/catback and an upgraded clutch. If you just do Swap+Clutch you're looking at 1500 or so.

The more conservative timing hurts, but for what is basically a 3.5 I/H/E car it moves.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
News to me. I did my swap in my driveway. And it cost 2.5k for the swap and headers/catback and an upgraded clutch. If you just do Swap+Clutch you're looking at 1500 or so.

The more conservative timing hurts, but for what is basically a 3.5 I/H/E car it moves.
Looks pretty good. Was it a A32 ECM? I drove from Sherbrook to Montreal once. People move pretty fast on that road. The amazing thing is how fast you guys drive on snow and ice.

What are you planning to get to sub-13?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:07 PM

You showed a volumetic efficiency chart. That's pretty good, I am impressed. Does that equate to HP and torque out? The chart does show a big gap at 3K. Are we back to generalities again?
I don't understand what you mean by generalities.
What I asked is the cam profile comparison between the VQ35 (with VVT but disabled) and VQ30 (w/o VVT), are they the same? We are talking using the A32 ECM, right?
The cam profile generally refers the shape of the lobe, not the cam timing. You're just wording it wrong i guess. To use the A32 ECU you need to use the A32 cam position sensor, which means you need to use the A32 timing gears, which means the dowel pins on the intake cams need to be repositioned to maintain the stock cam timing. To my understanding, the VQ35 intake cams in the swaps have been drilled such that 6 degrees of valve overlap are maintainted, just like in the VQ30DE. I'm not entirely sure about that though.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:17 PM

Looks pretty good. Was it a A32 ECM? I drove from Sherbrook to Montreal once. People move pretty fast on that road. The amazing thing is how fast you guys drive on snow and ice.

What are you planning to get to sub-13?
I drive like a grandma on the highway.

Don't tell anybody, but I'm secretly hoping to crack 12's on street tires.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
I don't understand what you mean by generalities.

The cam profile generally refers the shape of the lobe, not the cam timing. You're just wording it wrong i guess. To use the A32 ECU you need to use the A32 cam position sensor, which means you need to use the A32 timing gears, which means the dowel pins on the intake cams need to be repositioned to maintain the stock cam timing. To my understanding, the VQ35 intake cams in the swaps have been drilled such that 6 degrees of valve overlap are maintainted, just like in the VQ30DE. I'm not entirely sure about that though.
Thanks for the explanation. That is good info.

I was asking for the cam profile. The CAM lob is not only related to valve overlap, but the amount of air that goes in. Each ECM expects certain mechanical action, the valve opening timing is not close loop perse but predeternined at design stage. The ECM can detect and control other things such as oxygen in exhaust and fuel and air going in the engine real time, but the original codes and tables are based on the original engine's mechanical design. The adjustment range may or may not compensate for the difference in operating a different engine optimally. Of course the engine runs, but not to what the engine designers intended simply he did know it at the time the A32/ECM design was done in early '90.

The VQ35 swap shouldn't be taken lightly is what I am saying.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:50 PM

How does that negatively affect the engine (reliability wise)? The A32 ECU is simply overly conservative, that's all.

A VQ35-powered 4th gen IMO is going to be just as reliable as a normal 5.5 gen if you choose a good clutch. I had some axle/diff-related problems because of my slicks, but on the street it's always been a highly reliable car. Before or after the swap.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:00 PM

I was asking for the cam profile. The CAM lob is not only related to valve overlap, but the amount of air that goes in.
1. The CVTC system in the VQ35DE affects the cam phasing relative to the crankshaft. It does not affect the cam profile. This is not like VTEC, VVTL-i or VarioCam where there is a seperate high-lift, high-duration lobe for high RPM.

2. The VQ30DE cams and VQ35DE cams are different. Therefore their profiles are different. This has nothing to do with CVTC though.

Each ECM expects certain mechanical action, the valve opening timing is not close loop perse but predeternined at design stage. The ECM can detect and control other things such as oxygen in exhaust and fuel and air going in the engine real time, but the original codes and tables are based on the original engine's mechanical design. The adjustment range may or may not compensate for the difference in operating a different engine optimally. Of course the engine runs, but not to what the engine designers intended simply he did know it at the time the A32/ECM design was done in early '90.
You're making it sound more complicated than it really is. If you're using an A32 ECU with a 3.5 the MAF will read more air and the ECU will add more fuel according to it's maps in open loop. The reliability of the motor is unaffected.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:58 PM

No arguement about that. What I am saying is a swap is not a cure-all. Best to be done in a planned manner. If you just do it to fix something else without know what that was, it is a questionable motive.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:17 PM

No arguement about that. What I am saying is a swap is not a cure-all. Best to be done in a planned manner. If you just do it to fix something else without know what that was, it is a questionable motive.
Who is doing the VQ35DE swap to cure a problem?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

OP mentioned it as an option.
Originally Posted by Nismology
Who is doing the VQ35DE swap to cure a problem?
I'm sure he was being sarcastic though.

Carry on ..
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Black Maxima

---UPDATE---

Okay, today I noticed that my idle was going waaaaaay low when comming to a stop. I would be driving at a normal speed and rpms. Around 40 mph and ~2k rpms. I would come to a stop and my rpms would drop past 500 and go down to 250. Then shoot back up to 550. I was afraid of stalling, so I would shove it into N when comming to a stop. This occured under normal brakeing. My subwoofer also cuts out for a second during brakeing.

What can be the cause of this?

Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
---UPDATE---

Okay, today I noticed that my idle was going waaaaaay low when comming to a stop. I would be driving at a normal speed and rpms. Around 40 mph and ~2k rpms. I would come to a stop and my rpms would drop past 500 and go down to 250. Then shoot back up to 550. I was afraid of stalling, so I would shove it into N when comming to a stop. This occured under normal brakeing. My subwoofer also cuts out for a second during brakeing.

What can be the cause of this?
This is symptom when the car is running too rich of too lean. Any codes?