4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help with heat. ALL OPINIONS WELCOMED!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:26 PM

Need help with heat. ALL OPINIONS WELCOMED!

I know I posted this in general but hopefully you 4th genners can help me out since it's a 4th gen I'm having problems with. I have a 95 Nissan Maxima. It has a manual climate control. Out of the blue my heat stopped working. Keep in mind the Heater core was replaced about a month ago. I was driving and it got too hot so I switched the temperature to cold all the way home. I got home car sat for about 15-20 min got back in my car was cold so I decided to turn the heat on. Now no heat! What happen? Ok so fine maybe my climate control unit is messed up I thought. So I figure ok maybe I'll just get a new one. The day before I get the new one all of a sudden my heat comes back on out of the blue. I'm like What the? Ok I was like I don't need a new one fine. Keep in mind I was able to put the **** in the middle to warm(I never tried to bring it to cold because I was afraid it would happen again.) STUPID ME! I was cleaning the dash what do I do? Freaking swipe the damn thing to cold by accident. Didnt think anything of it at the time because I didnt realize I did that. Get back in my car it's cold about to turn the heat on. OH **** it's on cold. I pray please work sure enough it doesn't turn on now I've been stuck with cold ever since and it sucks. Now met up someone on Nycsmaximas.org to buy a new climate control. Install it heat still don't work. On my previous climate control peice all i was able to do was turn the top vents on and the defrost would come on but wouldn't switch to the window vents and just stay on the top vents whatever button I pushed. So I get the new one install it wow cool now my floor air, window air, all of it works awesome, right! WRONG! Start seeing the thing start to smoke now you get this nasty burn smell. NOW it's freaking stuck on floor air and window air. Well obvisously I fried it and now it's stuck. Looked at all the wires and can't figure what happened. SO NOW, my dilemma is what's wrong with the heat and why is it burning out? Sorry for the long @$$ story. But figure into as many details as I can.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Time to part out your car and sell me your bumper, lights and grill

Sounds like there was some type of short behind the control unit - the problem is most likely a wiring issue (the burning and heat not working). Even though you have a physical slider, the control to the heater-valve is all electronic.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:10 PM

I checked all the wires seem to be fine everything is connected correctly nothing really crossed. Except 1 wire that is a small blue whitestripe wire. It's connected to the main power harness behind the fan speed ****. But the way everything is connected was connected like that previously. Could be the reason why for the smoke coming out but I need a new climate control to figure that out but the heat is the main issue here right now.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:49 AM

where can I get a wiring diagram for the climate control?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:33 PM

If you have a haynes manual theres a wiring diagram in the back of it or go to a auto place and look at the book there/buy it.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 AM

still not working