4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possible Anti-Theft System problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:23 AM

Possible Anti-Theft System problem...

Ok, I have looked on here and NICO for two days and came up with nothing.

I have a 1998 Maxima SE and something is definately wrong with the horn/security system.
It has a remote and when I first got the car I was making sure everything worked so I pushed the Panic button on the remote. Nothing, pushed it again, nothing, so I get in the car ready to leave the parking lot and when I start the car the horn goes off.
[I know there are two "horns" one for the normal horn and another on the passenger innder fender under the hood for the security system. Strange thing was the one that was blowing was the normal one behind the grill.]

I pushed all the buttons on the remote, turned the ignition switch on, locked/unlocked the doors with the key, opened the trunk with the key, everything that usually turns these things off. The horn wasnt pulsing either, it was like someone pushing the horn on the wheel and holding it.
I finally popped the hood and started the car, it stopped for about two seconds then started again. Turned the car off, then started back, and it quit. I closed the hood and drove home.
The next morning I was going to work, started the car and it did it again, I opened the hood, started, turned off, started, turned off, started, then it stopped. When I got to work I just unplugged the horn.
(Again, this was the normal horn, NOT the security one, and no lights were flashing and it was NOT pulsing) That was almost a month ago, I had plugged the horn back in about a week after that.
I went to a concert this weekend and I was messing around with my friend and pushed it again, just out of curiosity just to see if it would work. Nothing, I get in the car and we leave. I stop at a red light, then when I take off its wet so the tires hop a little, and the horn starts...just out of the blue, I pull into a parking lot and unplug the horn and go home.

I dont know if this is maybe an issue related to the security control box or whatever, I havent tried opening a door through the window to see if it will do it that way but I have tried two different remotes and they have both been reprogrammed.

The fog lights also keep blowing fuses and the clock inside the car just pops on and off, I dont know if any of these can be related but if anyone knows anything about any of them please let me know. If theres anything you need to know about the problem that I didnt put up there just let me know. I really want to get this working.

Thanks, Tim

edit: the hood sensor has been removed since the first time, I thought that might have been the problem the first time...

edited again because aparently I suck at teh Engrish....
Old 01-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Your post is too long, doesn't have enough paragraphs and therefore is VERY hard to follow.

You won't get any help until you re-phrase/format your post. Once you do that, we'll all be glad to try to first understand the problem and then offer some suggestions.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would pull the fuse from under the hood for a while. When i was doing a remote start in a buddys maxima they only gave me one key and i had already put it in the keybox. And for some reason the horn started to go off and i didnt want to take it out of the keybox so i just pulled the fuse and unplugged the battery and left it off for about 30 min.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Thanks, I will try that. Also, I attempted to break it up. Sorry its long but I just cant see suitable places to actually brak it off to start a new paragraph. No, before anyone says it, I wasnt the best English student in school. I try, thats the best I can do. I have endured posts worse than this to help someone.
Let me try it this way.

I have a 1998 Maxima SE. My problem is with the alarm system, I'm not sure if it works correctly if you unlock a door from outside or not but my problem is with the remote.

When I push the panic button on the remote the car does nothing. After I get in the car, sometimes it will happen right when I start the car, sometimes it will be while I am going down the road, the horn will start blowing. Not the security horn, the regular one. No lights flashing, no pulsing, nothing, just a solid horn like someone is holding the button.

I have tried on at least two different occasions and it happened the same way, I have removed the hood sensor and that didnt help. I have now unpluggeed the horn because it wouldnt stop blowing.

Hope this helps some of you better understand the problem without reading as much...
Old 01-25-2006, 12:43 PM

start the car before you put the fuse back in
Old 01-25-2006, 12:51 PM

Which fuse is this? I am guessing you mean the security fuse?

Take it out, unhook the battery. Leave for around 30 minutes, hook battery back up, start car, then put the sec. fuse back in?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 PM

yea try that cuz if the cars started i think the horn wont go off if i remember correctly, i could be wrong though :X
Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 PM
dude88888

Try this.. You say you have an SE model which I assume you have a spoiler. TSB says it leaks water shorting out the truck lock assembly switch. My problem was I would arm it and about 5 minutes later the alarm would activate. What I did was open the trunk, remove the covering exposing the switch and just unnplug it. It works. If you remove the fuse for the alarm your horn don't work. Now the car alarm works flawlessly knowing that my trunk can be broken into, but when was the last time someone broke into your trunk thru your trunk. Try it and let us know.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Donating i30 Owner

hmm wel im having similar prob.. my inner siren keeps going off a few mins after i lock the car... and it flashes my headlights only... no other lights and the inner horn near hte belts keeps honking.. when i hit unlock it unlocks.. and turns it off...
i got the system installed at hte dealer like really long time ago..