4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do you adjust your clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

How do you adjust your clutch?

okay well i tried aadjusting my clutch....i messed with the top pin that the pedal psuhes in when it is funny released and it did nothing but made my clutch slip. how do i know where it needs to be. do you adjust the bottom one instead?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:26 AM

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile since my clutch is grabbing extremely high (only about the top 1/2" of the pedal,) but it is the original OEM clutch with only 89k on it.

Clutch doesnt slip, burn or shudder under any type of load. So I'm not in any hurry to change the clutch since it should still have some life left, but using the adjustment on the floor (the pushrod into the firewall) is merely a freeplay adjustment. Meaning that it will raise/lower the clutch pedal, above and below the existing engagement point. You don't want to mess with this too much, there should be 1-2mm of play on the pedal before you can feel force from the hydraulic system.

If you lower the pedal too much with this adjustment you will preload the clutch and it will always be partially engaged.

I've been seeking help with this for awhile, made an elaborate diagram to try and help illustrate the problem but everyone just says "use the pushrod adjustment that goes into the firewall," not realizing this doesn't change the engagement point whatsoever.

Good luck in figuring out how to modify the engagement point (if that is even possible,) and let me know if you do!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:51 AM

Actually here is the picture I made

Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

keep it posted....this is pissing me off. my clutch has 2000 miles on it and it releasing so high that it slipps sometimes, but it likes to randomly adjust itself!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:59 AM

I've also bled my clutch. It either stayed the same, or made it worse... not quite sure, but it didn't change it much if anything.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
keep it posted....this is pissing me off. my clutch has 2000 miles on it and it releasing so high that it slipps sometimes, but it likes to randomly adjust itself!
Same thing happened to me when I installed my new clutch. You need to get under there and turn the shaft that goes into the master cylinder. There is a 10mm (might be a 12mm) nut that oyu have to loosen, then just turn the shaft counter clockwise in like quarter turn incriments.

tomservo; how do you change the height of the pedal? I was told that to change the engagement you just turn that shaft and that works.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
Same thing happened to me when I installed my new clutch. You need to get under there and turn the shaft that goes into the master cylinder. There is a 10mm (might be a 12mm) nut that oyu have to loosen, then just turn the shaft counter clockwise in like quarter turn incriments.

tomservo; how do you change the height of the pedal? I was told that to change the engagement you just turn that shaft and that works.
The 12mm nut you loosen with the shaft into the firewall (with the slits along it) that you spin... That changes the height of the pedal. This is the "freeplay" adjustment for the pedal.

When you changed your clutch the engagement point probably moved, and the pedal may have needed adjustment to reflect the new engagement point.

For me, this is not the case, simply moving the freeplay doesnt affect the engagement point (my clutch was not changed.)
Old 01-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yup, i believe you turn that push rod w/ your hands or needle nose pliers clockwise (thread should be going OUT of the U-shaped bracket) to catch higher, counter clockwise (thread should be going IN to the U-shaped bracket) to make it catch lower. but just test it out and you'll figure it out.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:27 PM

that rod pisses me off too! Many times I've tried to adjust with little success. I have some needle nose vice grips which should do the trick.

Just loosen the bolt, and use needle nose vice grips to rotate the shaft, it should much easier that way.

I need to do the same thing + a bleed.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
that rod pisses me off too! Many times I've tried to adjust with little success. I have some needle nose vice grips which should do the trick.

Just loosen the bolt, and use needle nose vice grips to rotate the shaft, it should much easier that way.

I've gotten really good at adjusting that thing, and I swear all it does is move the freeplay. The only thing it will accomplish by lowering the pedal is pre-loading the clutch all the time...
Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 AM

well my grab point is very high, lowering it will ensure full engagement and dis-engagement.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

My problem with this is that my engagement point is pretty high on the pedal. Its not so high that it effects my driving, but it is still kind of high. When I turnthe rod to lower, the engagement point gets lower but I end up with A LOT of free play in the pedal. Any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 AM

I need to do the same thing + a bleed.
i have pretty small hands, it's not that hard to turn by hand. i just have mechanix gloves on and use both my index fingers to turn the push rod. you can try it that way, but you have to scoot your seat all the way back and lay and your back.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by aznsap
i have pretty small hands, it's not that hard to turn by hand. i just have mechanix gloves on and use both my index fingers to turn the push rod. you can try it that way, but you have to scoot your seat all the way back and lay and your back.
the rod had some decent tension in it, I wasnt able to turn it by hand but I couldnt get a good grip on it anyways.I now have the mechanics gloves I use when working, I'll give it a try, those gloves give some extra grip.
Originally Posted by Vlasic
My problem with this is that my engagement point is pretty high on the pedal. Its not so high that it effects my driving, but it is still kind of high. When I turnthe rod to lower, the engagement point gets lower but I end up with A LOT of free play in the pedal. Any suggestions?
Have you done a bleed?

In not too long I am going to bleed (high and low) and adjust the grab point. I hope to get a much firmer feel.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:53 PM

Have you done a bleed?

In not too long I am going to bleed (high and low) and adjust the grab point. I hope to get a much firmer feel.
how often should you bleed the clutch system?
Old 01-29-2006, 05:48 PM

I heard something like 60K, but I dont know for sure. My resevoir has very dirty fluid in there and its causing hard engagement, so I know I need to do a bleed
Old 01-31-2006, 11:10 AM

I'm sorry I couldnt fit my big **** hand up there to get a good grip and there is too much in the way to get my small **** needle nose vice grips in there.

But I did a bleed while on my lunch break today, simply amazing, the brake fluid was very black and the clutch graps much closer to the floor, feel much better now.