4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:20 PM

Cold Air Intake

Do you have to cut a hole in your fender to put in a cold air intake or is there another way. I just dont wanna take a chance on messing up my fender.

Also I was wondering if the ones off of ebay are just as good. Like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOMZ-...32524570QQrdZ1
Old 01-26-2006, 09:40 PM

Im no expert but I think I recall a few pics with folks CAI's which route around front behind the radiator... There is a good write up when you first hit the org... how to's intsead of forums
Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Still chugging along...

You don't have to cut a hole for the intake you linked to. Technically, its not a true CAI because it takes in warm air in form inside the engine bay but I wont start down that road because I'm sure there are lots here who would disagree with that statement. For only a few bucks more you can get a Place Racing CAI that does require cutting a 3" hole. You can get it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Place...temZ8032083763 I ordered that one and will get it tomorrow to install this weekend. NOTE: If you get the Place Racing CAI, don't bid over $75 because that seller also has Buy it Now sales, you can make a Best Offer of $75 (probably less) and the seller will take it.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by The Deal
Im no expert but I think I recall a few pics with folks CAI's which route around front behind the radiator
I say oxymoron..
Do you know what else is behind the radiator? An exhaust manifold.. The hottest part of the engines exterior.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 PM

well I didnt mean that it ends behind the radiator... I meant that it looked like the pipe went behind and slightly above it to the left side of the engine bay and down... I certainly could be wrong.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

I certainly could be wrong.
Well, you're definately not right.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:09 PM

NmexMax, You're a pretty happy guy huh?

Nmex has been around here longer so Im sure he knows better, I just thought I recalled a pic of that. It stood out to me as being different but like I said I could be wrong.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 PM
faster than you think

it is a true cold air intake. you do have to cut the whole. this is PR CAI style. so you have to cut the whole in the fender. where injen CAI you dont have to cut the whole(its not better than the PR cause it sucks the hot hair from radiator).
Old 01-26-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by White Shadow
You don't have to cut a hole for the intake you linked to. Technically, its not a true CAI because it takes in warm air in form inside the engine bay but I wont start down that road because I'm sure there are lots here who would disagree with that statement. For only a few bucks more you can get a Place Racing CAI that does require cutting a 3" hole. You can get it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Place...temZ8032083763 I ordered that one and will get it tomorrow to install this weekend. NOTE: If you get the Place Racing CAI, don't bid over $75 because that seller also has Buy it Now sales, you can make a Best Offer of $75 (probably less) and the seller will take it.
I didnt know they still sold these I might invest in one soon.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
10 psi

the bomz is a decent intake i had to get a different intake with a mid pipe like this one for my nos but i went with frankencar.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Jamaha80

Intakes dont do anything for cars people! Other than sound, they are useless and actually take away low end power unless you have over 300hp twin turbo or something crazy modded out. I thought everyone knew this by now??? The cons out weigh any pros with a cai or short ram.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Yea intakes to take away low end power, but do u think the high end would make up for it in the quartermile, in other words i dont think ur quartermile time would be slower with any style intake
Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

In some instances (1/4 mile) A little off the bottom for more on the top is helpful, but I'm sure all you fountains of knoweldge already knew that.

The fastest N/A Maximas all have some sort of aftermakret intake.

another intake thread gone to as.s.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jamaha80
Intakes dont do anything for cars people! Other than sound, they are useless and actually take away low end power unless you have over 300hp twin turbo or something crazy modded out. I thought everyone knew this by now??? The cons out weigh any pros with a cai or short ram.
They don't do much for maximas yes because the factory airbox already flows great, but for many other cars their airbox doesn't flow as well so it does help them. So it should be "Intakes don't do anything for maximas people!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Intakes do improve performance. Buy one a find out. They increase HP and Torque (HP is a function of Torque so when one increases as does the other). More power is more power hands down.

As for loosing top/low end power does anyone have charts/dynos to back this up. I would be interested in seeing them.

B
Old 01-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Jamaha80

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
Intakes do improve performance. Buy one a find out. They increase HP and Torque (HP is a function of Torque so when one increases as does the other). More power is more power hands down.

As for loosing top/low end power does anyone have charts/dynos to back this up. I would be interested in seeing them.

B
I have had 2 on two different cars. They may be good for quarter mile times.. But we all know that most of the people that have them are city drivers with light mods if any other than an intake because they are cheap.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Donating i30 Owner

NmexMax, You're a pretty happy guy huh?

Nmex has been around here longer so Im sure he knows better, I just thought I recalled a pic of that. It stood out to me as being different but like I said I could be wrong.

no ur not worng..... ive seen a couple of maximas 5th gens mostly.. with an extended ram air like pipe goingbehind the radiator.. not directly behind the fan.. more liek toward the bottom portion... i forgot what comp made it..

and yea it tech is a cold air... cause the idea was to have it nead the bottom where cold air woudl come in while driving cause through the duct below on the bumper.. but.. i mean the hit radiator first so.. its not really that cold..

and yes.. most 4th guys ive seen with cold air cut hole in fender aroudn where battery is.. and it goes in tehre.. but i think there is a hole already.. im not shure.. too lazy to go lok under the hood...
Old 01-27-2006, 12:30 PM

If you are Automatic, then you will feel the lost in low end power. To tell wheter the intake is Injen style, the midpipe is not striaght, it bends. They make more noise then they do power.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:01 PM

I was pretty sure I saw it but It wasnt worth it to get into with that guy, hes havin a bad week or something.

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
no ur not worng..... ive seen a couple of maximas 5th gens mostly.. with an extended ram air like pipe goingbehind the radiator.. not directly behind the fan.. more liek toward the bottom portion... i forgot what comp made it..

and yea it tech is a cold air... cause the idea was to have it nead the bottom where cold air woudl come in while driving cause through the duct below on the bumper.. but.. i mean the hit radiator first so.. its not really that cold..

and yes.. most 4th guys ive seen with cold air cut hole in fender aroudn where battery is.. and it goes in tehre.. but i think there is a hole already.. im not shure.. too lazy to go lok under the hood...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

ive got the injen style it dosent sit by the header it sits by the auto tranny linkage and picks up cool air from there. just got my warpspeed y and high flow cat today...yea !
Old 01-27-2006, 06:22 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
ive got the injen style it dosent sit by the header it sits by the auto tranny linkage and picks up cool air from there. just got my warpspeed y and high flow cat today...yea !
You are so right.

I like my Ingen - instead of sucking "radiator air", I flipped the lower pipe so it extends down further, then opened a hole in the bottom splash cover on the driver's side, and covered the top of the filter with a plastic bowl over the filter, but opening downward. I have a digital thermometer in the intake tube, after the MAF, and that air going in the MEVI never gets more than 20 degrees higher than outside air temp.

With the Cold-Air modded Ingen, my auto is very strong off the line, and it doesn't hurt my track times either.

13.61 ET 101.7 MPH dual-NX
Old 01-27-2006, 07:03 PM

I have a palm dyno scan and my temps are never more than 10 degr above the outside temp with a true cold air intake, and with a factory air box the temp gets to be more than 45-65 degrees hotter than it is outside, just ask me ive already done this test on both of them. Cooler air makes more horsepower people not hot air from under the hood. It makes no difference what you drive hot air plus knock sensor equals lost power!!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Subzero
I have a palm dyno scan and my temps are never more than 10 degr above the outside temp with a true cold air intake, and with a factory air box the temp gets to be more than 45-65 degrees hotter than it is outside, just ask me ive already done this test on both of them. Cooler air makes more horsepower people not hot air from under the hood. It makes no difference what you drive hot air plus knock sensor equals lost power!!
So true for hybrid (Frankencar) intakes, they get the hottest air possible out of any intake.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Originally Posted by Jamaha80
I have had 2 on two different cars. They may be good for quarter mile times.. But we all know that most of the people that have them are city drivers with light mods if any other than an intake because they are cheap.
not becuase people we are cheap... i mean my tuition is 27,000 a year.. so its cause we dont have money to do massive mods..... and intake isnt cheap.. theres pros and cons to every mod...

also everybody should get pathfinder TB... with cold air/ram.. whatever intake.. to really get a good intake system
Old 01-28-2006, 09:41 AM

http://http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=451748

Scroll down and look at MaxEvolutions sig, its the pic on the right...

As Agent Smecker would say: We'll start the a$$ kissing with you.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:22 PM

remember. If lakes form anywhere near you when it rains make sure to think about an ABV. Unless you plan on shielding the filter some othe way
Old 02-01-2006, 04:57 AM
10 psi

Originally Posted by BlackMax1992SE
Yea intakes to take away low end power, but do u think the high end would make up for it in the quartermile, in other words i dont think ur quartermile time would be slower with any style intake

when you live at 4400 + ft elevation, intakes help a lot...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by glenmoormax
when you live at 4400 + ft elevation, intakes help a lot...
.. .. .. So whats the difference between that and sea level as far as intakes are concerned?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by White Shadow

the intakes are $109.99 + SH $13.00
Old 02-01-2006, 12:08 PM

higher elevation=less air. Thats why planes that fly around 10k elevation usually have turbo's to get that air in the motor.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

ok, but why would it help? It's not like putting an intake puts you at a lower elvation, still the same atmospheric pressures
Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

and intake is an intake is an intake.....
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM
dot dot dot ...

Dude, come on... He needs to explain the validity of his post

I'm bored
IBpissingthreadaway
Old 02-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by tbergma1
higher elevation=less air. Thats why planes that fly around 10k elevation usually have turbo's to get that air in the motor.

Great point
Old 02-02-2006, 07:37 PM

do they make place racing intakes for '97? cause i only saw them for 95-96
Old 02-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Ichiban King

man his thread is crazy. one person says that another says that. I've seen dyno's for Injen intakes (no evidence) that show a clear drop in low-end and an increase in the mid-range. Another site, I forget what site it is, but one of these maxima sites im on all the time clearly states " there is no evidence that aftermarket intakes are better than the stock intake."
Yet when my friend put his injen into his 5th Gen. he said he notices a difference, I on the other hang noticed I was leaving him more in the lower rpm's so there ya go. But thats around town cause theres like no strips around here anywhere.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Well, the Injen might be better for a 5th Generation Max.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

Why? .
Old 02-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Maxima Owner

hasnt this been discussed MANY TIMES....a true cold air intake that goes behind the fender at picks up actual cold air...not radiator air is good for topend....many people like to run that set up but with the factory mid-pipe with teh Helmholtz Resonator LOOK IT UP ITS GOOOOOOOOOOOD.....
Old 02-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
hasnt this been discussed MANY TIMES....a true cold air intake that goes behind the fender at picks up actual cold air...not radiator air is good for topend....many people like to run that set up but with the factory mid-pipe with teh Helmholtz Resonator LOOK IT UP ITS GOOOOOOOOOOOD.....
what do you use?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake