4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Recall/TSB Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001 | 06:02 AM

Is there a time limit on recall or TSB? I was checking alldata.com and my used car has several TSB issued. However, when I bought my car the dealer never gave me the service records for the car, when I asked they couldn't find any and the deal was already signed. I am worrying that the previous owner never bothered getting the previous TSB repairs.
Is there a way to find out if the car was repaired under TSB?
Is there a time limit to get those done on a given car?
Answers will be appreciated.

Franck
Old 06-08-2001 | 06:23 AM

Recall vs TSB

Originally posted by frougier
Is there a time limit on recall or TSB? I was checking alldata.com and my used car has several TSB issued. However, when I bought my car the dealer never gave me the service records for the car, when I asked they couldn't find any and the deal was already signed. I am worrying that the previous owner never bothered getting the previous TSB repairs.
Is there a way to find out if the car was repaired under TSB?
Is there a time limit to get those done on a given car?
Answers will be appreciated.

Franck
Let's distinguish between a Recall and a Technical Service Bulletin. A Recall is (usually) a problem related to safety or emissions. The manufacturer has an obligation to notify owners in writing. There is no debate with the dealer about whether the repair is needed, or who will pay for it. The repair is needed and Nissan will pay for it.

A TSB is the means by which Nissan notifies its dealers of a recognized problem and a recommendation for diagnosis and remedy. There is no formal notification mailed to owners. The repair may or may not be needed on a specific vehicle. The bill may or may not be paid by Nissan. There is room for the dealer to exercise his judgement.

There is no time limit for applying a TSB, because a TSB is nothing more than a piece of technical advice. You may think of a TSB as an addendum to the factory service manual.
Old 06-08-2001 | 06:33 AM

Thank you for the clarification B. Martin.
Old 06-08-2001 | 06:59 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Recall vs TSB

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
There is room for the dealer to exercise his judgement.
Therein lies the problem. There's a screw-up on Nissan's part and it becomes discretionary for the dealer to fix. I believe that anyone who is able to obtain the information and has the problem should have the TSB address free of charge.

But:

Nissan Dealer Service = oxymoron
Old 06-08-2001 | 07:25 AM

Longer and stronger

Originally posted by bill99gxe
... I believe that anyone who is able to obtain the information and has the problem should have the TSB address free of charge. ...
I won't take issue with your opinion. You are (in effect) calling for a longer and stronger warranty. Nissan could do this, but it would have to charge more for the vehicle.
Old 06-08-2001 | 07:29 AM

Re: Longer and stronger

I won't take issue with your opinion. You are (in effect) calling for a longer and stronger warranty. Nissan could do this, but it would have to charge more for the vehicle.

Well....it's not like the general public looks up TSBs or anything....that eliminates 95% of the customers rights.....only us "enthusiasts" would ever cause issue anyway.

Ignorance is the key to keeping costs down, and Nissan (as well as other Makers) does a good job of that. The internet has made it much more convenient to get this info....it's amazing more people haven't taken advantage of it.
Old 06-08-2001 | 07:43 AM

Ignorance

Originally posted by bill99gxe
... Ignorance is the key to keeping costs down ...
I understand your point. I have a different viewpoint. I say quality is the key to keeping costs down.

Friend #1 tells me: "My Buick had to go back to the dealer 13 times for 13 different problems. I admire General Motors, they really stand behind their product."

Friend #2 tells me: "My Honda never had a problem and never went back to the dealer for any reason."

These are true stories. GM has higher warranty costs than Honda. Ignorance has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-08-2001 | 07:58 AM

Re: Ignorance

I understand your point. I have a different viewpoint. I say quality is the key to keeping costs down.

Friend #1 tells me: "My Buick had to go back to the dealer 13 times for 13 different problems. I admire General Motors, they really stand behind their product."

Friend #2 tells me: "My Honda never had a problem and never went back to the dealer for any reason."

These are true stories. GM has higher warranty costs than Honda. Ignorance has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, Daniel. Didn't clarify my point. Ignorance of TSBs by the public keeps costs down for Nissan because the don't really have to address it. On the other hand, quality usually lowers it from the get-go.