4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need Help!!

We were takin the shock off the 97 maxima, but the upper strut mount ripped off from the metal ring..... Therefore we cant get the 19mm bolt off the shock because the whole scock rod is rotating..... Does anybody have a way to get it off? fast...?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Do I get a tax break?

vice-grips to hold the shaft - to keep it from spinning.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by njmodi
vice-grips to hold the shaft - to keep it from spinning.

Never use vice grips on the shaft, the mark left from the plier will cause the strut seal to tare causing the strut to leak and fail. Warning notices about this process are usually posted on new struts/shocks or even included in the warranty papers.

Unless your replacing the strut with new units, then go ahead with the vice grip.

Try using a strong impact gun and give short high power bursts from the gun to get the nut loose. Once it's broken loose it should spin off pretty easily.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

Never use vice grips on the shaft, the mark left from the plier will cause the strut seal to tare causing the strut to leak and fail. Warning notices about this process are usually posted on new struts/shocks or even included in the warranty papers.

Unless your replacing the strut with new units, then go ahead with the vice grip.

Try using a strong impact gun and give short high power bursts from the gun to get the nut loose. Once it's broken loose it should spin off pretty easily.
Agreed. I assumed that - damn .org mentality of modding is taking over my better sense
Old 01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks a lot 4 all the help guys... the impact gun was the only thing that did the work done.