4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny Maintenance Question ... at high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:52 PM

Tranny Maintenance Question ... at high mileage

Hey guys,

I have a 98 auto with about 160 000 miles on it, the tranny fluid on the car was never changed, many mechanics told me to not flush it at this point, it's not dark dark yet, however the color is far from what it was.

I was thinking of doing a drain and fill, letting some slowly out and gradually adding some new fluid into the mix.

Can anyone suggest what would be a good choice at this point either full flush, drain and fill or leave it alone. Also if Drain and Fill, how much would I take out and how much would I be putting back in and on what basis.

Much appreciated, as I want to prolong the life of my baby!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Drain and fill.. Let as much drains out come out (from the tranny pan bolt).

Just replace as much as you drained (assuming the level is correct right now).

Use Dexron III or equivalent. See the fluids/lubricants sections for more info.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:39 PM

Drain and flush should take out maybe. 4 quarts or so. most people would say it you drain and fill you should have 55-60% of the fluid clean. But then again your mixing it with the 40% dirty fluid. So i dunno the overall numbers. But a drain and fill won't hurt the car at all.

If you have time and weather permits i would suggestion you do a drain and fill on your own. Mainly have a big funnel and let it drain into a milk bottle or something. That will hold 4+ quarts so you don't overfill it. Then mark the bottle poor out your old one. Full the bottle to your mark. Fill it up, give it a couple of minutes before you start her up. Then yea, just check the fluid later on. make sure you not missing any.

Best way to do this is if you drive it with the new fluid about a month and then do the same process all over. I think about after 3 times you should have 80% of overall clean stuff.

There is also another method in the Fluid section... I don't like it too much but its faster.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 PM

I would go with drain and fill as well. The system capacity is 10 quarts but you'll only get about half of that out. A lot is left in the torque converter. For severe service (towing, "rough driving") it's ecommended to change at 30k miles. Otherwise, "inspect" every 60k. I generally change it at 100k.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:20 PM

I recently went to a Transmission shop and they told me tha they do not do flushes at all. So with my max being a 96 with 133,000 miles on it they said they would drop the pan and do a service for $89. I bought my max with 90 k and was not sure if thefluid was changed ever. The original fluid was still slighty pinkish, but i was having a little feeling between 1st-2nd geard.

Well they dropped the pan, cleaned the screen, magnet, and changed some filter or screen in the tranny. i asked them if my automatic tranny looked in ok shaped when they dropped the pan, and they said everyrthing looked fine. Now my 1st-2nd shifts I cannot even feel, and the rest of the shifts are the same. Feels brand new.