4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Yet Another Honda Accord Accident ( Pics )

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Sorry for your loss man....really sorry
Old 02-03-2006, 09:14 PM

I lost when I realized he did not have a clue about fixing the battery cable. He better get another car because there is no way in hell he will be able to fix the one he wreaked.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scooobay
OH my god...i swear im gonna fricken blow up every honda accord i see on the road....
Well my wife has kinda started that for you, last April my wife was driving a friends Accord. No, she didnt blow it up, but she was at a gas station and backed over one of the yellow poles aroud the pumps and completely screwed up the rear bumper.
No guys she can drive, some a-hole in a sports car parked really crooked and really close.

And in Dec of 2002 i rear-ended an Accord. She was driving in front of me and just stopped, and i had just looked away for like a second and Wam. The hit gave her wiplash, it put a vertical crack in my bumper and broke my blinker. ALL IT DID TO HER CAR WAS PUT A SMALL (A QUARTER COVERED IT UP) SCUFF ON HER REAR BUMPER.
Just thought you should know your not the only one with bad luck with ACCORDS
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Everyone else on the road seems to be able to drive without slamming into the person in front of them. You should learn your car's capabilities. If not, leave TWICE the safe amount of space.

It's your fault, plain and simple. Lesson learned (I hope). Everyone's been there.
I could not help it sorry
Old 02-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by 96blackmaxSE
Sounds to me like you were goin faster than 30 mph...

why did you bounce off of him if only goin 30 and hit your brakes did you swerve too?
The damage is mostly on one side because he probably tried swerving out as well as braking. I bet he clipped the Accord and bounced to the right into a pole. I had a similar accident in where I clipped a station wagon and I ended up two lanes over from where I actually hit him. I was doing only about 40 when it happened. And that damage looks about right for braking at 30mph, the damage is a lot more on the car who hits the car infront of him.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:28 AM
100% chingon

It's really up to you what pads you fit, and you should have the pads that suit your driving. Pads for the race track don't work too well tootling around in traffic, and everyday pads don't work at the race track. There are huge numbers of different pads available and they're not exactly expensive or difficult to change.
With decent pads you should feel the ABS working under hard braking, even on a dry surface. Mine certainly does; only last week, under maximum braking, I was able to 'dodge around' a broken-down car left in the middle of the road just after a bend, even with the ABS grumbling away under my foot.
There are too many factors in your story for anyone to shout at you for being a bad driver. IMO, at any rate. How about the road surface? Maybe it hadn't rained for weeks, surface contaminated with tyre and diesel film... it can happen to anyone. Still, it helps to be aware of what's happening in front of the car in front... must have been some reason for the Accord slamming the brakes on.
The battery cable is nothing; the firefighters were right to cut it. What would you rather have, a cut battery cable or an inferno in the middle of the road - your car in flames? Either replace the cable, or get a crimping sleeve of the right diameter and borrow a crimp tool and rejoin it, not forgetting to slip a couple of inches of heat-shrink over the cable beforehand (insulation tape and hot engine bays don't go well together)
I sympathise to see your car banged up like that.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:33 PM

Battery cable is the last thing you should be screaming about.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wrecks like these blow, sorry man.

The same thing happened to me last December. I was in 30mph traffic, not terribly close to the car in front of me, but sadly not far enough either. They were driving like a moron and out of the blue slammed on their brakes. I couldn't brake in time, and I smashed into the rear of a Hyundai SVU.

It was my fault for not being careful enough, but it's still a pain in the ***. Luckily my old Maxima was a 1990 with over 200k miles and a failing transmission. What blows is the $200 following too closely citation, and paying out the *** for insurance.

Luckily I got a pretty sweet deal on a 1997 Black GLE with 90k miles, and it drives like a champ. I learned from my accident big time, and I'm sure you have as well.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:16 PM

that sucks about the wreck. I don't know why you are going to part it out though, doesn't look like it would be too insanely expensive to fix. I've had many close calls myself, kind of why when one day i'm not a broke college student i plan on getting a bimmer....drove my dad's friends for a week, best handling/brakeing of any car i've ever driven.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:33 PM

this is funny. i almost rearended an accord the other day when he slammed on his brakes in front of me and I came within 2 inches of his bumper. Either the max brakes are really ****ty or there is a conspericy with accord drivers to take out maximas.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Squat
this is funny. i almost rearended an accord the other day when he slammed on his brakes in front of me and I came within 2 inches of his bumper. Either the max brakes are really ****ty or there is a conspericy with accord drivers to take out maximas.
+1 for the conspericy..
Old 02-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by DesiGLE
I've had a lot of close calls with mine, and realized that Maxima brakes just aren't good enough for the car they're stopping.
So maybe it's your driving that's bad and not the cars brakes.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:30 AM

I hate hondas man good luck with your car!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:32 AM
vsamoylov

the only thing hondas are good for is when you get tired of you max, you drive a honda for like 2 days and then get back in your maxima and it is soo much better then a honduh

Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 AM

im going 30 mph, 3 car lengths away....

the pictures look like you were going faster than 30.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:12 AM

Is it just me or does no one use their e-brake? I can't tell you how many times my e-brake has saved me from slamming into something. So be it on dry conditions or in snow. I was just thinking about this and some young drivers underestimate that little hand brake. That thing saved me when my front wheels were on ice and I was sliding down a hill almost, through an intersection. I yanked that hand brake and i stopped on a dime. Lucky for me, the car I woulda hit was an undercover 50.

I suggest going to a big open parking lot during the day... and trying to do some 'panic' stops like osmeone else suggested. Use nothing but the brakes and then try once with the hand brake. You'll be suprised.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by meegosh024
Is it just me or does no one use their e-brake? I can't tell you how many times my e-brake has saved me from slamming into something. So be it on dry conditions or in snow. I was just thinking about this and some young drivers underestimate that little hand brake. That thing saved me when my front wheels were on ice and I was sliding down a hill almost, through an intersection. I yanked that hand brake and i stopped on a dime. Lucky for me, the car I woulda hit was an undercover 50.

I suggest going to a big open parking lot during the day... and trying to do some 'panic' stops like osmeone else suggested. Use nothing but the brakes and then try once with the hand brake. You'll be suprised.
yeah its called a parking brake and that is what it is used for. and read what you jsut said. you were sliding down a hil and your front wheels were on ice? you yanekd it and the car stopped? first if your front tires are on ice, your rear ones have to be on ice. second of all if you yank the parkign brake on ice, the car will slide even mroe because the rear tires are locked. and i care about my max and so do other people that i wont go to a parking lot and yank the parking brake. the one thign you guys dont have is common sense. and if the cop saw you sliding,

Old 02-08-2006, 10:34 AM

Well first and foremost glad to hear that you're not hurt. Accidents are things that can happen to ANYONE and anywhere. For some to assume that he wasn't going 30mph or had 3 car links is pure stupidity. To many factors to assume he was being careless. With that just be more alert. Forget the Max, come over to the Infiniti side. Maxima drivers are bruts. Step over to wonderful luxury with power. An I30t/35 will suit you just find.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meegosh024

Is it me or is this guy nuts? You must have forgotten to check your rear calpers before you slid down the hill. 50 bucks says they are seized. E-Brakes are no where NEAR as effective as traditional brakes. They also lock up the tires as said above and prolong your stop. E-Brakes should ONLY be used for parking ... and the occasional need for messing around in parking lots. Your story does not make sense and it makes the rest of us teen drivers sound like morons.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
vsamoylov

please stop usign the wrong terminology. it is not a e-brake but a parking brake. why do people call it a emergancy brake? do you pull it in a emergancy and it will save you? no. it is a parking brake designed to be used when you park the car

Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 PM

http://smith-system.com/
I drive for fedex and this class mandatory. If you follow this to a t you will never have an accident. And when I say never I mean never. this system will keep you aware of your surroundings so even if you are about to be rear-ended you have enough time and room to move out of the way, think I'm lying? Take a class that teaches the smith system, some ins co even give discounts for it.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
please stop usign the wrong terminology. it is not a e-brake but a parking brake. why do people call it a emergancy brake? do you pull it in a emergancy and it will save you? no. it is a parking brake designed to be used when you park the car

its an emergency "make your car smell really funny" lever.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dasyce
i would have been pissed off if you ran into my accord..

i bet someone over at the Accord Forums is saying "Some !d!ot in a Maxima just rear ended me!!!"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Doggah Bite...

Those of you who know, i got into an accident with an accord late last year.....so yes..this is the 2nd max gone down in less then a 6 month time....
know how you feel, on my 3rd max since June of 05'. wrecks suck, thankgod for full coverage
Old 02-10-2006, 04:47 AM

Dang, that sucks. I think the ticket part sucked the most tho.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Groundz
http://smith-system.com/
I drive for fedex and this class mandatory. If you follow this to a t you will never have an accident. And when I say never I mean never. this system will keep you aware of your surroundings so even if you are about to be rear-ended you have enough time and room to move out of the way, think I'm lying? Take a class that teaches the smith system, some ins co even give discounts for it.
That's a stupid assumption. You can do everything right an by the book, but sometimes an accident is UNAVOIDABLE. What kind of lunatic thinking would make you believe that you'd never get into an accident even if you followed that guide??
Old 02-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by queenambeach
That's a stupid assumption. You can do everything right an by the book, but sometimes an accident is UNAVOIDABLE. What kind of lunatic thinking would make you believe that you'd never get into an accident even if you followed that guide??

Solid point, some accidents involve even the safest of drivers. Im not saying Im one of them but I was involved in 2 and didnt get a reckless driving ticket for either.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:59 PM

Please describe an unavoidable accident and I'll try my best to show you how it may be avoided.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:19 PM

You're a victim of the Curse of the Mismatched Hubcaps. The damage is not bad. You can fix it yourself if you know how to use a hammer and a socket set.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Seriously people, ever think that maybe the tread on his super hard 80k mile tires was gone? Also, if it hasn't rained in awhile the road gets slick from oil, and it's even worse right after it starts raining.

But anyways, my first maxima I almost totalled 500 feet from the dealership. Some asswhipe locked his breaks up on the onramp to the freeway. It was a used 55k '97 so the front tires were almost slicks. Luckily I had about 5-6 car lengths so I locked the breaks and smoked all four tires to a stop with a few feet to spare.

No idea why the lil' f7ck stopped, but he started going after that. Maybe he wanted to stay off the freeway? Who knows.

Anyways, since then I've replaced the suspension with Progress Springs, KYB AGX shocks, Front and Rear Sway Bars, BBK, steel break lines, 18x8 Wedsport SA70's, Khumo ASX's, and Flushed with redline break fluid.

Shortly after I did all this, I drove cross country from TX to Long Island NY.

Just my luck making the turn on the LIE east (freeway is 45 mph because it's a POS one big pothole) and some Imported Indian (he had temporary international insurance) rams me from behind. There was a line of 25 cars trying to get off the freeway in Astoria and some lady in a mini-van decided she didn't want to wait any longer so she pulled out of line right in front of me. I stopped on a dime and the black Acura rear ended me.

Granted all I had to do was buy a new painted bumper and a foam bump stop (supposed to be replaced in all rear end collisions, saves your frame and your back in low speed collisions). But still, if you don't trust your footing in your car, do something about it.

Case and point, I dodged 3 separate deer going 80 on 183 in TX out in the country. 1 trip, 3 deer, within 100 miles or each other. Anyways, the last deer I dodged I flexed the frame and split the glass right up the middle on the windshield.

Better than hitting a deer though.

The Max has legs, and can maneuver like an older ferrari (not an F50 mind you) if you give it a bit of help.

Just gotta have good tires, suspension that doesn't have 100k miles on it, and brakes that are in reasonable shape.

But if you have a GLE the suspension is gonna eat your breaking performance alive.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zhombe
Just my luck making the turn on the LIE east (freeway is 45 mph because it's a POS one big pothole) and some Imported Indian (he had temporary international insurance) rams me from behind.
It seems like the worst things happen to the nicest people.... Not. I'm glad that person hit you. Too bad you didnt suffer an injury when an "Imported Indian" could have performed surgery on you.

Please, for the love of god, never have children. I'll even pay to get you a vasectomy.

And let us know when you decide to come back to NY. We'll give you a warm welcome. Ya bas-tard!
Old 02-15-2006, 03:53 PM

You really screwed that car up good, you couln't stop at 30mph in three car lengths? Brakes must be junk or not working properly.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
It seems like the worst things happen to the nicest people.... Not. I'm glad that person hit you. Too bad you didnt suffer an injury when an "Imported Indian" could have performed surgery on you.

Please, for the love of god, never have children. I'll even pay to get you a vasectomy.

And let us know when you decide to come back to NY. We'll give you a warm welcome. Ya bas-tard!
Im lost
Old 02-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tim96I30t
You really screwed that car up good, you couln't stop at 30mph in three car lengths? Brakes must be junk or not working properly.
Yes sir...can you believe since i made this post i still havent gotten ym car back. Tavarish was like " at least your car starts "....im like " at least your only problem is a non-starting car....im dealing with a non-working mechanic..i think my situation sucks more..lol..

so far ..$1000 in damages ( including parts + labor )
Old 02-15-2006, 04:36 PM

+1 You show me a car who can 'avoid any accident' and I'll show you my max in your rear view mirror going 100+ miles an hour trying to rear-end your ****.