4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone use/have experiences with the "Sonus" system ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 04:11 PM

Anyone use/have experiences with the "Sonus" system ?

well ive got a new porter cable and im trying to find the best/easiest stuff possible to use...Sonus seems to be popular among many of the detail websites...I wanted to know if anyone ever used it before?...looks like a nice system, theres 3 different bottles, 1 2 and 3 and then theres a specifically designed pad for each solution...people who know of this stuff-lets discuss please... thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 PM

Old 02-12-2006, 09:07 AM

Haven't tried that stuff, but have tried the Griots stuff with the PC, and it absolutely works great. All you really need is the lightest polish and the wax unless you have severe scratches.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:37 AM

the sonus system is excellent i have used it with my pc. good stuff. I use it when the winter is done. to get the car back to its self again. then i use zaino afterwards.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:00 AM

I have Sonus SFX-1, 2, and 3. However, I never even used the SFX-3 (the ultra-fine finishing polish). IMO, SFX-2 finishes fine, plus with the LSP's that I use: Klass AIO and Sealant Glaze, the last polishes effects would have been dulled anyways. I'm sure when I go back and redo my car using those polishes, that all of my swirls will go away - I was working in poor lighting and it was the first time with any true polishing steps. I like them a lot, but have also heard GREAT things about the Menzerna line of products, as well as Optimum Compound and Polish. I was thinking of picking up a bottle of the Optimum Compound to try to level down my hood a little bit. Check the sig: those polishing steps were about four months old, and my car had three layers of KSG on it. The car also sat outside for 2 months straight, with only 2 washes. (I'm in college...).

Edit: I can't Fing wait until summer until I can do that all over again. In the meantime, over Spring Break, I will be going over the car with Klasse AIO to remove the older layers of SG, and then reapplying a couple layers of SG. I can't wait.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 AM

Dammit, I want to show off my car:

The process:
Wash with NXT
Clay w/ Mothers
Wash again with NXT

Polish w/ Sonus SFX-1 -- PC Orange DAS pad speed 5-6
Polish w/ Sonus SFX-2 -- PC Green DAS pad speed 5

Klasse All-In-One -- PC Blue DAS pad speed 3
Klasse Sealant Glaze -- By hand (only 1 layer in these pictures)
Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 AM

And out of curiosity, what protective product/wax are you going to be using? Head over to autopia.org, it has SO much information.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been using Klasse for the last 4 years or so, and I thought about switching to Zaino or Blackfire, but then Sonus came out with their Acrylic Spritz/Glanz that makes SG removal soo easy and painless!!! Those are the only two Sonus products I've tried and they are very excellente.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
I've been using Klasse for the last 4 years or so, and I thought about switching to Zaino or Blackfire, but then Sonus came out with their Acrylic Spritz/Glanz that makes SG removal soo easy and painless!!! Those are the only two Sonus products I've tried and they are very excellente.
Haha, I know what you mean. That first time I used Klasse's Sealant Glaze, I applied it like I used to apply wax. Not a fun time trying to get that off. Now, I use a wipe on, wipe off method of applying Klasse SG, and that makes it painless. Also, applying REALLY thin has been my habit ever since...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:39 AM

thanks for chiming in guys .. the paint looks great on everyones car who posted pics .. seems like most people like Sonus....ewuzh your car is sick... BigLou your paint looks amazing with that reflection; nice and clean...

im pretty much decided on the sonus 1 2 and 3, I just hope they dont dry up quick so I have enough time to work them into the paint, iI read a few things about the sonus drying quickly thus not leaving enough time to work it into the paint....Biglou, I havent decided on a final wax yet, I was thinking maybe the Mothers Power wax for the last step .... not sure that I need 4 steps since my paint is already in great shape but I want it to shine like a show car so: sonus 1,2,3 and Mothers power wax(made for machine polishers)

I didnt wanna clay but im not sure if I should..
Old 02-12-2006, 11:45 AM

Claying would definately be beneficial, and really shouldn't take more than an hour's worth of time. If your paint is in good shape, and doesn't have a lot of swirls, then you might even skip the SFX-1 part. However, I really couldn't remove the imperfections I wanted to with SFX-2 alone. Maybe you can post up some pics of your paint? I'm going to post up a couple of before shots of my paint after I upload them so you can get an idea of what I removed.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:55 AM

sonus?

i am unfamiliar with sonus is it just wax or like claybar stuff? have a LOT of swirls but not so much now after i used this meguiers stuff in a red bottle i found in my garage it turned out like this-

i find this tolerable, but with car being black, im gonna need something like a mirror..does sonus do this?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Claying would definately be beneficial, and really shouldn't take more than an hour's worth of time.
Hours worth?

Its more like 20 minutes
Old 02-12-2006, 11:59 AM

These were the befores.

Note: not all of my swirls came out when I polished. I thought it was the polish, but I'm sure it was just my inexperience. That is the reason I was going to try Optimum Compound, I've heard really great things about that product on a PC.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by rsly33
Hours worth?

Its more like 20 minutes
It's his first time claying, and his car probably hasn't been clayed before. It will take a little longer than normal.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by incognito903
i am unfamiliar with sonus is it just wax or like claybar stuff? have a LOT of swirls but not so much now after i used this meguiers stuff in a red bottle i found in my garage it turned out like this-

i find this tolerable, but with car being black, im gonna need something like a mirror..does sonus do this?
The Sonus Products we're referring to in this thread are known as polishes. They remove paint that may have been oxidized, swirled, or marred. Basically, you can remove any scratch that your finger nail doesn't get caught on. The wax you used has "fillers" which hide the appearance of swirl marks and everything else. You will have a decent shine with that product, but as it wears, the imperfections will show themselves again. Polishes actually remove these imperfections, and give the paint great shine and reflectiveness that can be sealed with a wax or polymer sealant that will hold that shine and protect the paint for along time.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have swirlies, I suggest the 3M Perfect-It line of products. If the swirlies are really bad, use 3M Rubbing Compound followed by Swirl Mark Remover. If the swirlies are mild, skip the rubbing compound and just use SMR. Be careful with the rubbing compound, as it is basically liquid sandpaper (very high grit though). Follow this with a finer polish of your choice, top it off with sealant or wax (or both, sealant first, wax after).

And yes, clay your car. It gets rid of the roughness and makes the paint as smooth as glass
Old 02-12-2006, 12:44 PM

thanks thats wat i was looking for
Old 02-12-2006, 12:58 PM

good stuff in this thread ... very knowledgeable ezwuch and biglou ....

looks like im claying guys ...was thinking about getting the "sonus fine claying bar", i read that its safe from damaging any paint whatsoever

resly33: yes I have never clayed a car before, but even for someone who is experienced, I cant imagine it takes 20 mins!... I would guess that thats a crappy claying job.... 20 mins to rub the ENTIRE car carefully ?? ... im also gonna mist as well, ive read that its important to keep the paint wet ?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:05 PM

Yes it takes me about 20 mins and no its not a crappy job.
If im going to clay, after I wash, I dont dry the car. Ill either use spray lube or soap+water. Then after Im done, wash again. There no way, first time or not, it should take an hour.
You are right, it is very important to keep the paint wet, the clay should glide over the paint

This thread should get moved to detailing
Old 02-12-2006, 02:24 PM

If im going to clay, after I wash, I dont dry the car. Ill either use spray lube or soap+water. Then after Im done, wash again. There no way, first time or not, it should take an hour.
You are right, it is very important to keep the paint wet, the clay should glide over the paint

good to know I can use soap and water for lube during claying the car .. thanks for all the input guys, keep in comming ..

sry man, not enough peeps go in the detailing section..sometimes if im lucky there is 1 person in there!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:29 PM

If it takes a person longer to clay their car and to be careful while they're at it, I don't know what the problem is. To be honest, I've clayed my car 2-3 times IIRC, and both times they've taken the better part of an hour. Taking more time can mean that I roll and reflatten the clay to get fresh clay to the surface more often. It's really no big deal here, the point still stands: claying is an important step in prepping your car. That we can agree on.
Unless you're getting paid to detail, you really don't have to be on a time crunch. Take your time with it.
Also, I hear very good things on the Sonus Fine Clay. If you haven't already, go over to that detailing forums: www.autopia.org . There are reviews from many members over several different types of products, where you can see what they say. Keep us updated. Again, if you can, post up some pics of your car so that we can see what kind of damage you are dealing with.
Another thing that you can read up on: Autopia's Detailing How-To. You can also purchase products from this site. The forums site is www.autopia.org and the purchasing site is www.autopia-carcare.com.