4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Piece of broken antenna stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Piece of broken antenna stuck

My power antenna broke off. As I was installing a new one, I realized a piece of it is still wedged in there. That piece is the hollow 3 inch metal tube that goes around the antenna. Plyers don't seem to be getting it out. Does anyone have any better suggestions?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 PM

Have a friend turn on the radio and it will push it out. Then pull it the rest of the way out, then have him turn off the radio then feed the new one in.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:01 AM

antenna broke off

I may be asking the obvious, but did you have the directions to follow when removing the antenna? And you screwed out the antenna hold down collar before pulling the antenna out?

I am thinking you are saying the relatively thin antenna grounding collar stayed down in there, but I can't mentally picture how that would have happened. The antenna has a protrusion at the base that should ensure the grounding collar comes out with it.

Perhaps if you posted pictures of the antenna socket and the end of whatever part of the antenna came out it would be more clear.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Obespalov
My power antenna broke off. As I was installing a new one, I realized a piece of it is still wedged in there. That piece is the hollow 3 inch metal tube that goes around the antenna. Plyers don't seem to be getting it out. Does anyone have any better suggestions?
After removing the top srcewed in collar, that small tube is just lodged in the down tube by a spring clip. This small tube has a small collar on top so you can use a knife and lift it up. Or you can simply reuse this tube and not replace it with the new one.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by SVI30
After removing the top srcewed in collar, that small tube is just lodged in the down tube by a spring clip. This small tube has a small collar on top so you can use a knife and lift it up. Or you can simply reuse this tube and not replace it with the new one.
In my attempt to remove the small lodged tube, I think I've deformed it to the point where it would not be reasonable to re-use it. There is just a few milimeters sticking out, with the rest of it lodge inside.

Someone suggested using a knife, but the hole is too small for that. I could try a thin screw driver.

I am also considering using a small saw and cutting the thin tub in half from the inside...
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

It might be frozen, try heating it with something.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
It might be frozen, try heating it with something.
I've thought about that too, as it was freezing last night when I did it. However, it seems to be really lodged in there, despite pulling with all my strength using plyers.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:55 AM

Stop what you're doing!! And whatever you do, don't use heat because the tube is made of plastic. That metal tube you are prying on and trying to dig out holds the antennae mast in place, along with the slotted nut that screws into the quater panel. If you deform the opening too much, it will never work right. When you say a part of it is sticking out, have you removed the entire motor from inside the trunk (a lot easier to work on plus you have a lesser risk of damaging your paint. Try removing the entire motor and move the whole assembly to the rear trunk bottom edge. Now you can see just how much (or how little) material you have to grasp. Normally, the mast will snap off just after the last mast section, so you have a piece to clamp onto. In you case, it sounds as if the entire mast came out and left the grounding collar intact -- these as usually rusted tight and can be impossible to remove sometimes. ** The unfortunate thing is that you can't simply slide the new mast in place, because the mast has a lip on the end to keep it from extending all the way out and if you look on your new mast, the grounding collar only slides from the bottom up. Can you "twist" the collar to the left or right? if you find a screwdriver that is slightly larger than the diameter of the metal tube, you can try tapping it in approx 2-3" and then use a pair of vise grips on the screwdriver handle to work the tube loose. In the meantime, spray some PB Blaster along the outside edge of the metal tube and some into the opening. Sometimes that will help break it free.

I assume after all this hassle that your motor still works properly? As a last resort, you can completely disassemble the motor and remove the black housing to get access the underside of the tube. Then you could place the motor in a vise and slowly tap a screwdriver or long round metal file to the stuck piece and tap it out.

Good luck -- been there, done that!!

Ted, Chicago
Old 02-14-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tfvesquire
Stop what you're doing!! And whatever you do, don't use heat because the tube is made of plastic. That metal tube you are prying on and trying to dig out holds the antennae mast in place, along with the slotted nut that screws into the quater panel. If you deform the opening too much, it will never work right. When you say a part of it is sticking out, have you removed the entire motor from inside the trunk (a lot easier to work on plus you have a lesser risk of damaging your paint. Try removing the entire motor and move the whole assembly to the rear trunk bottom edge. Now you can see just how much (or how little) material you have to grasp. Normally, the mast will snap off just after the last mast section, so you have a piece to clamp onto. In you case, it sounds as if the entire mast came out and left the grounding collar intact -- these as usually rusted tight and can be impossible to remove sometimes. ** The unfortunate thing is that you can't simply slide the new mast in place, because the mast has a lip on the end to keep it from extending all the way out and if you look on your new mast, the grounding collar only slides from the bottom up. Can you "twist" the collar to the left or right? if you find a screwdriver that is slightly larger than the diameter of the metal tube, you can try tapping it in approx 2-3" and then use a pair of vise grips on the screwdriver handle to work the tube loose. In the meantime, spray some PB Blaster along the outside edge of the metal tube and some into the opening. Sometimes that will help break it free.

I assume after all this hassle that your motor still works properly? As a last resort, you can completely disassemble the motor and remove the black housing to get access the underside of the tube. Then you could place the motor in a vise and slowly tap a screwdriver or long round metal file to the stuck piece and tap it out.

Good luck -- been there, done that!!

Ted, Chicago

Thanks, I haven't even considered that it was rusted in there. I can't seem to move it left to right. I think I will try tapping it with a screw driver today and see if it works, after I spray something in there. I've removed the motor from being in place, but can't seem to get the whole assembly out so I'm working on it from the inside of my trunk.

I have a feeling after all is said and done, I may find out that a piece of the plastic toothed wire may still be inside the motor, though I hope not, as I'm sure that will be a pain in the ****.

What a mess..
Old 02-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Yeah, that drainage tubing is a PITA. Good luck if you happen to get it off and then even better luck getting it to fit back on the Y tip that exits the bottom of the quarter. I also worked on my assembly while it was still attached. I put a rag/towel over the edge of the lower trunk opening and placed the top motor part flat against the inner edge. Now, you have something that will hold the motor while you wrestle with the mast instead of trying to hold both parts. If you are lucky enough to budge the grounding tube out enough to get some needlenose vise grips on the end, you made be able to pull it out that way.

As for any broken off pieces inside the unit, there are several screws that hold the black cover on and once you remove the plastic mast cable, there is nothing initially under tension. You can remove that cover and there will be a plastic gear that pulls the cable. If you pull that gear out and look in the grease, you will be able to see any small pieces that may have broken off. BTW, is the end of your cable cracked or is it round? Are you just worried about a piece that may have broken off or are you sure it has?

Either way, good luck!!