4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

name that suspension noise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:25 PM

name that suspension noise!

car was sitting in a parking lot for 10 hours. happy to go home, i put her in reverse, released the e-brake, brought her back. put her in drive and started turning to the left to make my way out. all i heard is this metal on metal screeeeching. not your ordinary belt noise, but screeching coming from the driver's side, loud enough to be heard over my music. I put the car back into the spot and start over. go in reverse, then drive and pull to the left and screeeech. the kind of sound tha tmakes your nuts jump back up. the 15 min drive home was silent and nothing sounde wrong thereafter. any ideas?

o yea, i'm at 103k, raxles have been in for 3 months, and thats about the only suspension work i've done since havin the car since 80k
Old 02-18-2006, 08:06 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Possibly rack and pinion bushings. I get this very sharp sound when I have the wheel turned fully and hit a light bump. Just never got around to having them replaced.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Maintenance Monster

You sure that wasn't a belt slipping?

Anyway, also check the swaybar frame bushings. The metal bracket sometimes works thru the bushing and rubs against the swaybar.

Dave
Old 02-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Disc brake dust shield rubbed against the rotor.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Disc brake dust shield rubbed against the rotor.
Tom,

if that was the case wouldn't it rub all the time as the rotor at the brake dust shield are always in the same relation to each other

This is intriquing as I get a similar squeal and I'm thinking its the rack and pinion, but I'm going to reassemble my suspension first using new spring isolators...process of elimination.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

No, it wouldn't rub all the time. There is a small amount of play in your hub and bearing. Especially when everything is cold. (expands when hot) That slight amount of play could be enough to make your rotor come in contact with the dust shield when you turn the wheel hard and move slowly. The force pushing will cause the hub/rotor assy to move just a slight bit, possibly enough to come in contact with the dust shield if it's sitting close to the rotor. Thus, your metal to metal screach......

Poke a long screwdriver through the slots in your wheel and push the dust shield back, evenly in several spots. See if the noise ever comes back.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:21 PM

No, it wouldn't rub all the time. There is a small amount of play in your hub and bearing. Especially when everything is cold. (expands when hot) That slight amount of play could be enough to make your rotor come in contact with the dust shield when you turn the wheel hard and move slowly. The force pushing will cause the hub/rotor assy to move just a slight bit, possibly enough to come in contact with the dust shield if it's sitting close to the rotor. Thus, your metal to metal screach......

Poke a long screwdriver through the slots in your wheel and push the dust shield back, evenly in several spots. See if the noise ever comes back.
exactly wut i did when i read your reply.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Jedi Knight

I stand corrected....thanks Tom