4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Weird Scrapping sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Weird Scrapping sound

I am experiencing a wear scrapping sound that I'm stumped about. It occuring on the passenger front side of the car. It occurs at low thru higher speeds but the noise sometimes isnt as loud at higher speeds. Giving more throttle helps to subdue the sound but results varry.

It sounds like metal on metal scrapping sound.
It occurs in gear or in neutral (coasting), but gets louder in neutral
Nothing is scrapping, rotor splash shield is out of harms way, everything is bolted down tight.
Spindle was recently replaced on the passenger side (1k ago)
Axle is fully seated

This passenger side is the same side that my wheel had fallen off at 45mph, but this noise apeared about 2 weeks after the incident.

I jacked up the car and put the car in gear, and I cannot duplicate the sound. So what ever the noise is, its present when the suspension is loaded.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? or has a clue as to what it could be?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM

Now that I think about it, its sounds like a rotational sound. If so the only parts moving when I'm driving in a straight line is my axle and rotor + brake stuff.

I'll pull my brakes and rotor off and see if I can notice any scrapping etc on my rotor.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM

u live in A-Town...it must be lil scrappy

lol
Old 02-20-2006, 12:46 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Have you checked your CV boots?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
u live in A-Town...it must be lil scrappy

lol
Funny!

Originally Posted by nismos14
Have you checked your CV boots?
Great shape, just put this raxle axle in about 2 weeks ago, no tear in the boot.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=MDeezy
Great shape, just put this raxle axle in about 2 weeks ago, no tear in the boot.[/QUOTE]

Check to see how tight the axle nut is. if its a half a turn loose it will create metal on metal noises. happend to me 2x already because I didnt tighten up the axle nut enough.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SMX95
Check to see how tight the axle nut is. if its a half a turn loose it will create metal on metal noises. happend to me 2x already because I didnt tighten up the axle nut enough.
I checked and it was on tight still, I thought this might have been the case
__________________________________________________ _____________
Still nothing! I've lifted and taken off the wheel so many times and still no sign of what can be causing it. Its a rotational like sound. Everything brake related has good clearance, No scratch, marks on the rotor so nothings making contact with it.

Its makinga scrapping and now a thud like sound. More or less throttle before would help to eliminate or reduce the sound of the noise. Then noise definately increases between shifts or if I coast in neutral. This leads me to believe it maybe axle related. I would think that if this is the case, then when I put the car on jack stands and start it up and let the wheels spin I would hear the noise, maybe its only under load.

Is there such thing as bent axle? I know it can break, but can it be somewhat damaged but still functional?

I'm tear apart the passenger side till there is nothing but the tie rod haning, I hope to see something. Cars starting to get damgerous to drive
Old 02-22-2006, 10:05 AM

i'm having the same exact noise, I thought it was the brakes but they are in good shape. I hit a curb sliding on ice and bent my lower control arm, had it replaced and no noise. Then a month or so after the repair it started making the noise. same place and sound you described, anyone have any other ideas what it might be because this noise is annoying. I need to check that nut first though.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 AM

Due to process of elimination is must be the bearings.

*Pads arent dragging
*rotor has good clearance (nothing scraping it)
*axle properly seated.
*its a rotational sound at low and high speeds.
*Only rotating parts when driving are axle, rotor, hub (bearings)
since the axle is fine, Rotor is fine, and nothing is scraping it must be something I cannot see
*What cant I see. . . wheel bearings.

+ Wheel did fall on that side and the car slid on the spindle for about 10ft @ 45mph -0mph. Very plausable that it sustained damage that was evident a week or so after driving.

Going to replace the passenger side spindle (again) and the driver side, and see if the problem persists.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I think you're on the right track here.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Wild for Width

Damn man! Wish I could help but you covered everything I would have said.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:30 AM

Yea its crazy but I have my impact wrench in the garage with my torque wrench. Going to go get the spindles saturday after work, my new control arms, outter tie rods, inner tie rods, and crazy amount of bushings should be here today.

Its going to be one hell of a suspension day saturday!
Old 02-26-2006, 12:17 PM

**PROBLEM FOUND**

My deduction was correct. the problem was a lot of play in the hub. I took the spindle off and when pullin on the hub it would extend a few mm, it was able to move in and out which would doa number on the bearings causing the sounds I heard. I have another spindle which is in good shape that will go on the car. After this, I should have no noise and have my smoothe ride back.

I feel when the wheel shot off and the car fell on the spindle assembly is caused this problem, it just took a little time to surface.

Matty: I'd check your hub and see if this is the case for you. Pull all brake related hard ware off, take off the rotor, and pull on the hub it shouldnt move at all, if it does there the source.

On another note, I was happy when I purchase my spindles from a local junk yard, they took it off properly. By that I mean the didnt just cut the abs wires, they actually followed it back to where it connects in the engine bay, unplugged it, and unbolted the 2 10mm nuts. THe last time I got my spindle they just cut the wire, and I had to re-wire that shiznit up.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:40 PM

wow....this is nuts. I was just going to post something similar today as well. I too have been experiencing this noise the past few days. However, I never hit or bent anything. It took me by surprise as I never had a problem with my car ever. The noise though is coming from the drivers side. It sounds exactly like how you described it. I might just take it back to dealership during Spring Break and have it fixed.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:44 PM

Also, I have to drive about an hour and a half back home with this problem. Will I be alright to drive it a long distance before getting it fixed??
Old 02-26-2006, 02:23 PM

The embarassingly loud noise in combination with the worry of some type of accident happening is what made me fix this as soon as possible. I have driven on it for about a week and a half. I would suggest fixing this ASAP, Had I know from the start that my hub has a lot of play in it, I would have probably stoped driving the car.

I would get it fixed now if you have the funds, the hub holds you wheels on to the car (plus the axle nut helps), it would be a bad scene if the hub gave way, and let go of the tire . . . not pretty.

you may be able to have the hub replaced or serviced, I swapped the whole spindle out because I dont have time to wait for a shop to press in new bearings, plus I felt it would be cheaper to get a whole new spindle.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:55 PM

aiite cool....yea im at school out here in Philly and dont really drive around here at all and next week is out Spring Break, so when I get back I'll get it looked at ASAP. Thanks a lot.