4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear brakes seizing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:31 AM

rear brakes seizing

i use my e-brake when parked, but sometimes the brake brake does not release. when i pull on the handle i can feel that it has more slack at the bottom than usual, and it feels like the car drags a little bit when driving. it happened back in december and i took the wheel off and there was no way i could get the piston free, so i replaced the drivers side caliper with a rebuilt one from auto zone and the brake seemed to work better again. the problem came back, so this time i changed the pass side caliper with another rebuilt one from auto zone. adjusted the e-brake, everything is working OK. the other night i was leaving to go home and i had my e-brake pulled (not very hard either) and sure enough when i let it go it did not release all the way. i said f-it so i just drove home anyway figuring that if i destroy the brakes that's fine because i'll have to replace them anyway... but a few minutes later they freed up on their own. i'm just gonna stop using the e-brake until spring... but now i can't let my car idle in the driveway in the morning to warm up without it rolling into the street. very frustrating...

i had very similar problems on my old 300zx, so i'm thinking it may be a nissan thing... or maybe i'm just unlucky. anyone have similar experiences, or ideas to stop these from sticking when its cold? fortunately i was able to fix my starting problems thanks to this forum, so hopefully i'll be able to get my brakes fixed. thanks guys
Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You may want to check the emergency brake cable(s). If they've been crimped or bent, you may need to replace them. If the cable is not moving freely within the cable housing, this could explain why your e-brake isn't releasing as it should be. Just so you know, these cables are not as cheap as they should be.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:34 AM

i dont think its a kink in the cable. when it first locked up i actually removed the cable from the caliper and tried to screw the piston back in (like after changing the brake pads) but i could only get it to turn about 1/4 turn and then it would not budge.

i noticed a rip in the boot on the drivers side so i figured some water must have just gotten in there and rusted it out so i didnt question replacing it. then the pass side happened and i didnt think to check for a rip, but i figured it was just due to age/mileage (97/130k). now that they're both changed i can't figure out why they still lock up. this doesn't happen to anyone else that i know with any other car who use the e-brake when it's cold. maybe i just got unlucky and got 2 defective calipers (luckily they have the lifetime warranty)....

thanks for the thought, but i don't think thats the problem. any others? all of these problems with my car are starting to convince my coworkers not to buy nissans (even though besides all of these random problems the car will run forever) but i still will
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 AM

Sounds like the oem calipers are shot, either a rebuild kit or a new one. This is a common problem with oem calipers over time either not closing or seizing up, usually from neglect or just age and wear. Everytime you do the brakes you really need to clean and grease up the caliper pins etc to avoid seizing up.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by Tim96I30t
Sounds like the oem calipers are shot, either a rebuild kit or a new one. This is a common problem with oem calipers over time either not closing or seizing up, usually from neglect or just age and wear. Everytime you do the brakes you really need to clean and grease up the caliper pins etc to avoid seizing up.
Yo. REREAD THE post man.... he has 2 new calipers...

1. I just replaced both of my rears... sometimes it is the cable which needs a little regreasing honestly.
2. If it doesnt come loose, PULL it harder and release quickly. repeat. repeat. sometimes it just gets stuck but ive never heard of newer ones doing it really.

There is most likely a problem other than tha calipers. Hense: the reson they went bad in the first place.

Try some lube...................... or ban
Old 02-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Maxima Owner

e-brake cables
Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 AM

when they locked up the last time (after replacing the calipers) i pulled on the e-brake harder than i usually do, let it down quick, repeat repeat repeat.. eventually it worked. i will try greasing the cables when it gets a little warmer.

any idea why this is only a problem when its really cold? its never been an issue during spring/summer/fall... only winter
Old 02-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Proud Maxima Owner

Use some PB brake, Brake cleaner, and then some white grease or silacone. Clean all the E-brake components and then with lube liberally apply on springs,cable,etc.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Maintenance Monster

Because the lube in the cables gets cold and stiff in winter, and creates enough friction that the spring at the brake can't retract the cable.

Inspect the cable thoroughly for nicks/cuts/pinches, and if you find anything replace the cable - it's doubtful you'll be able to make them work better even temporarily, and if it doesn't fully release you'll cook those nice new calipers.

Dave
Old 02-21-2006, 10:10 PM
will fly for food

both my rear calipers bit the dust, twice! i think it's a nissan thing IMO....
Old 03-02-2006, 08:59 AM

I had the same problem last year, replaced both rear calipers, and haven't had the problem since. Maybe you got crappy calipers from Autozone. I believe mine had lifetime warranty. Maybe yours do too.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:20 AM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by vvslavavv
I had the same problem last year, replaced both rear calipers, and haven't had the problem since. Maybe you got crappy calipers from Autozone. I believe mine had lifetime warranty. Maybe yours do too.
nope both were Nissan calipers from the stealership...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 AM

Had the same thing..new calipers...would all of a sudden drag once in a while. Isolated it to rear driver side caliper..the bolts weren't tightened well enough and the assembly was wiggling around getting stuck! But my problem may not be the same as yours.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

e-brake cable

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
e-brake cables
Left parking brake cable broke on my 98 Max. Does anyone have any idea where can I find a replacement one (except for a dealership 'cause).
Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 PM

e-brake cable. when i drive in rain/slush and set the e-brake and the temp is below freezing, the water freezes it up.

running the car creates heat sufficient to thaw the water and release the brake.