4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP! Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 05:52 PM
jfj99GXE

1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 5speed...54,000 miles.

I have a vibration that I feel in the floor boards/pedals at 45-60 MPH, I have had the wheels balanced (stock wheels and tires) and a recent alignment, and you don't feel the vibration through the steering wheel. I am wondering if it might be a loose motor/trans mount?

It does seem to be more noticable when I am banking to the left or right, but also does it when driving straight on.

Anyone know????

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-11-2001, 06:27 PM

I get the same thing, and I suspect my trans mounts are lose. I know this becase when I'm parked and shift to D I can feel the trans moving. The transition to D or R is not as smooth as I'd like it to be. So this might be the cause of the vibration.. you feel it in the floor right?
I feel it at arounf 55-65mph it comes and goes and I feel it more in the floor than in the steering wheel.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:29 PM

Rotate the tires front-to-rear; if the vibration moves to the steering wheel it is a tire or rim. You may want to rotate one side at a time and test drive in between; then you will know exactly which one it is. A tire can be balanced but still be out of round (usually caused by a slipped belt).

If the vibaration doesn't change, then you need to have a mechanic inspect it. It could be a bad half-shaft, cv joint, wheel bearing, ect. I would put motor mounts low on the list of possibles.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by jfj99GXE
1999 Nissan Maxima GXE 5speed...54,000 miles.

I have a vibration that I feel in the floor boards/pedals at 45-60 MPH, I have had the wheels balanced (stock wheels and tires) and a recent alignment, and you don't feel the vibration through the steering wheel. I am wondering if it might be a loose motor/trans mount?

It does seem to be more noticable when I am banking to the left or right, but also does it when driving straight on.

Anyone know????

Thanks in advance!
I don't know, but will toss some ideas up in the air.

Make sure all wheel nuts are torqued to 80 foot-pounds.

I doubt the problem is a loose or broken mount. The primary symptom of a bad mount is not vibration, it is a single clunk which can be both felt and heard every time you step down or let up on the gas pedal. Simple test: drive 60 mph to provoke the vibration. Shift to Neutral and let the engine idle. If the vibration goes away it is associated with the powertrain. If the vibration remains unchanged, it is associated with the wheels, tires, suspension, or steering components.

You may have an out of round wheel or tire. You can balance an out of round tire perfectly and it will still vibrate.

Please rotate the tires, exchanging fronts with rears. If the vibration changes noticeably, it is associated with wheels or tires. If the vibration remains unchanged, it is associated with a vehicle part such as wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, etc.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I don't know, but will toss some ideas up in the air.

Make sure all wheel nuts are torqued to 80 foot-pounds.

I doubt the problem is a loose or broken mount. The primary symptom of a bad mount is not vibration, it is a single clunk which can be both felt and heard every time you step down or let up on the gas pedal. Simple test: drive 60 mph to provoke the vibration. Shift to Neutral and let the engine idle. If the vibration goes away it is associated with the powertrain. If the vibration remains unchanged, it is associated with the wheels, tires, suspension, or steering components.

You may have an out of round wheel or tire. You can balance an out of round tire perfectly and it will still vibrate.

Please rotate the tires, exchanging fronts with rears. If the vibration changes noticeably, it is associated with wheels or tires. If the vibration remains unchanged, it is associated with a vehicle part such as wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, etc.
great minds think alike! <grin>
Old 06-11-2001, 06:49 PM

Wheel bearing test

1) Verify that all wheel lug nuts are tight.

2) Raise the car. If you have a floor jack you can raise the entire front end at once, and test both front wheel bearings. No need for jackstands, as you will not get under the car.

3) Grab the top of the tire (12 o'clock) and push away from yourself and pull toward yourself. Yank it to and fro in this fashion several times. If there is noticeable free play or an audible "clunking" sound, the wheel bearing is probably damaged.

4) Attempt to spin the wheel. If it spins freely but makes ugly sounds the bearing may be damaged. If it won't spin at all the brake may be dragging. This could indicate a sticking caliper.