4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DTC Codes 0705 and 0903

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 08:03 AM

Okay, just got y-pipe installed, had a hard time getting in, but did it. Then i got check engine, so i reset ECU and got these Codes
and 0903. I read the explanation on them, and im sure lots of you have too, but now what do i do ?
Old 06-12-2001, 08:28 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by cRedrum
Okay, just got y-pipe installed, had a hard time getting in, but did it. Then i got check engine, so i reset ECU and got these Codes
and 0903. I read the explanation on them, and im sure lots of you have too, but now what do i do ?

I think I'm gonna cry......

Does anyone read the top of the forum?

cRedrum,

PLEASE look at the "sticky" post that says "ECU Diagnostic Trouble Codes"....that should explain it.....
Old 06-12-2001, 08:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Doood You killing Bill over there! LOL!
Old 06-12-2001, 08:45 AM

Listen man, i DID, but what the **** ? One of them has so many god damn explanations its confusing and the other one complements one. IM ASKING for expert advice from someone this board. Because i am NOT an expert and i dont think im qualified to **** with the wires under the car yet
Old 06-12-2001, 09:01 AM

Listen man, i DID, but what the **** ? One of them has so many god damn explanations its confusing and the other one complements one. IM ASKING for expert advice from someone this board. Because i am NOT an expert and i dont think im qualified to **** with the wires under the car yet
cRedrum,

Why the hostility?

PLEASE qualify your remarks in your post with:

"I looked in the ECU sticky post, here's what I understand:

a)
b)
c)

here's what I don't get:

d)
e)
f)"

First you received expert advice with an explanation of the codes. Simply asking for further clarification on something SPECIFIC will get you more responses. Nowhere in your post do you act like you've done an ounce of research....
Old 06-12-2001, 10:32 AM
MaxMafia

Bill

I just got check light on and it was 0401. How can I fix it? Or do I have to take it to dealer to fix it? Thanks!

Old 06-12-2001, 11:05 AM

This is a very common trouble code when you fail to tighten the gas cap properly. Remove the gas cap, screw it back on again, and reset the ECU and see if it comes back again. It may be the EVAP system, but 99% of the time, it is just the gas cap.

BTW, Bill is right, if you read the explainations on the sticky, it clearly says that the EVAP system is the culprit. And although the diagnosis is sort of difficult, the gas cap fix is very simple to do and usually fixes it. That might not have been obvious in the trouble code descriptions, so that is why I am replying here.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:33 AM

DTC 0401

Originally posted by MaxMafia
I just got check light on and it was 0401. How can I fix it? Or do I have to take it to dealer to fix it? Thanks!
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0401 points to a problem with the Intake Air Temperature Sensor. The IATS is mounted in the engine air intake duct, downstream of the air cleaner filter. It detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module. The sensor uses a thermistor, a resistor with a value which is inversely proportional to temperature. The IATS is not directly used to control the engine. It is used only for diagnostic purposes. Therefore the engine should start and run normally, even with the Malfunction Indicator Light on and DTC 0401 stored.

This malfunction is detected when ...
a) An excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is detected by the ECM.
b) The signal from the IATS is inconsistent with the signal received from the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Possible causes include ...
- Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
- a faulty Intake Air Temperature Sensor

The IATS resistance values should be ...
- at 14 degrees F, 7.0-11.4 Kohms
- at 68 degrees F, 2.1-2.9 Kohms
- at 176 degrees F, 0.27-0.38 Kohms

For further information about the Intake Air Temperature Sensor please refer to the Chilton repair manual (page 4-16) or the Haynes repair manual (page 6-11).
Old 06-12-2001, 11:42 AM

Re: DTC 0401

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0401 points to a problem with the Intake Air Temperature Sensor. The IATS is mounted in the engine air intake duct, downstream of the air cleaner filter. It detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module. The sensor uses a thermistor, a resistor with a value which is inversely proportional to temperature. The IATS is not directly used to control the engine. It is used only for diagnostic purposes. Therefore the engine should start and run normally, even with the Malfunction Indicator Light on and DTC 0401 stored.

This malfunction is detected when ...
a) An excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is detected by the ECM.
b) The signal from the IATS is inconsistent with the signal received from the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Possible causes include ...
- Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
- a faulty Intake Air Temperature Sensor

The IATS resistance values should be ...
- at 14 degrees F, 7.0-11.4 Kohms
- at 68 degrees F, 2.1-2.9 Kohms
- at 176 degrees F, 0.27-0.38 Kohms

For further information about the Intake Air Temperature Sensor please refer to the Chilton repair manual (page 4-16) or the Haynes repair manual (page 6-11).
hehe.....

Thanks, Daniel....updating sticky....
Old 06-13-2001, 04:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Eric L.

This is a very common trouble code when you fail to tighten the gas cap properly. Remove the gas cap, screw it back on again, and reset the ECU and see if it comes back again. It may be the EVAP system, but 99% of the time, it is just the gas cap.

BTW, Bill is right, if you read the explainations on the sticky, it clearly says that the EVAP system is the culprit. And although the diagnosis is sort of difficult, the gas cap fix is very simple to do and usually fixes it. That might not have been obvious in the trouble code descriptions, so that is why I am replying here.
Thanks Eric. I got the same two codes, and thought that I should replace the EVAP vent control valve since that code came with the real general one. I had heard about the troubles with the gas tank lid, but wasnt sure what code it would show up under. I think Im gonna hold up on replacing the valve ($70-valve + $70 for labor) and put that money towards some of greg's tail lights. I'll reset the ECU and see if it comes back on.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:17 PM
Granny Driven

I have the same stupid problem

The 0903 code. i cleaned the valve and the black box but the light still came on. I called the dealer and he sad the valve and the box will cost $200 so A) drive with the broblem or B) replace just the valve cause its cheaper.