4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much for a good suspension setup??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much for a good suspension setup??

If I were to put $2000 into a new suspension setup on a stock 4th gen what would you guys recommend? If I can pay a little more for a lot more performance I would like to hear that too, thx.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:43 PM

$1900 True JIC Coilovers.

-matt
Old 03-12-2006, 05:16 AM
I support for what?

D2 or Ksport coilovers 800
Old 03-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Conecarver

What are you hoping to get out of it? Tracking, autox, mostly street driving?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by matty
$1900 True JIC Coilovers.

-matt
Heh...that suggests that other coilovers that are less expensive are fake...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Heh...that suggests that other coilovers that are less expensive are fake...
Nah he wanted our recommendation to spend 2000 on a suspension. If It werent my money Id get the JIC's

My opinion would be get the Ksport Coilovers ($800), spend another $200-$300 on FSTB, Rear sway bar, and youll have a he** of a setup.

I do like the JIC's though They are top Dog
Old 03-12-2006, 07:56 AM

if he wants to spend $2k on suspension go with JIC.

Or you could spend the $2k on Ksports or D2s plus new control arm, inner outter tie rods, bushing galor, new axles (raxles), and definately have good suspension setup.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:11 AM

2k just for suspension.....wow are there any other setups you can recomend for less but that are still good quality?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dodd
2k just for suspension.....wow are there any other setups you can recomend for less but that are still good quality?
A good spring/strut combo is also a good option and will run below $600. Eibach/AGX, Sprint/AGX, There are alot of different combonations you can get. I only listed the two that Ive had.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

blehmco lower tie bar
sub frame connectors
fender bars
custom koni and eibach coilover
all poly bushings from ES
and of course front and rear strut bars
Old 03-12-2006, 09:36 PM

Would getting the coilovers be a better move than getting some 17" low profile tires? I know both togeather would be best but would it be better for me to get some cheaper coilovers and get some low profile tires. I think matty's suggestion sounded the best out of them all but again I ask you since I know there are many here that know far more than I do, thx.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:42 AM

cool this is teh thread i wanted.

the ultimate(reasonably priced) handling setup!

tagged so i can read all the feedback
Old 03-13-2006, 03:43 AM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

Originally Posted by evil_spork
cool this is teh thread i wanted.

the ultimate(reasonably priced) handling setup!

tagged so i can read all the feedback
tagged!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo1er
tagged!
right.. as soon as we show interest the thread dies.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM
I support for what?

I dont see what you guys want to know. 800 for k-sport or D2 for the best handling but alot stiffer ride. Get h&r springs for the best comfort paired with tokico illuminas. add a set of aftermarket 17s with 235 tires and youll increase your handling even more. throw a rsb with a fstb for even better handling add sub frame connectors for less chassis flex
Old 03-13-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
I dont see what you guys want to know. 800 for k-sport or D2 for the best handling but alot stiffer ride. Get h&r springs for the best comfort paired with tokico illuminas. add a set of aftermarket 17s with 235 tires and youll increase your handling even more. throw a rsb with a fstb for even better handling add sub frame connectors for less chassis flex
we(at least i) want to know how much these suspention setups can be bought for, and what is going to give the best ride. comfort and control balance and whatnot.

i just wanna know how coilovers ride(stiff, comfy, ect?) how pricey they would be, and what all i need when considering coilovers.

fstb, rsw, maybe rstb i know about and will likely get, but the other bars and such that were mentioned... i dont know much about...

i just dont want to make another thread when we have one here thats almost what i wanna know.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:27 PM
I support for what?

we(at least i) want to know how much these suspention setups can be bought for, and what is going to give the best ride. comfort and control balance and whatnot.

i just wanna know how coilovers ride(stiff, comfy, ect?) how pricey they would be, and what all i need when considering coilovers.

fstb, rsw, maybe rstb i know about and will likely get, but the other bars and such that were mentioned... i dont know much about...

i just dont want to make another thread when we have one here thats almost what i wanna know.

Everything you want to know right here. Your stock springs are at about 120 lbs/in front and 180 lbs/in rear. With any other suspension setup your gonna be doubling that so your springs are gonna be twice as stiff as they are now. With coilovers your gonna triple that or quadruptle that. Just put it this way I installed D2 coilovers and me and my dad could barely make the car bounce they were so stiff

Use this site it gives you everything you wanna know about suspension to performance.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php
Old 03-13-2006, 12:30 PM
VIP Maxima

1 grand is all u need for a good suspension setup

$800 coilovers
$60 FSTB
$150 RSB

there are other mods out there but those are for serious people only.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by JSutter
blehmco lower tie bar
sub frame connectors
fender bars
custom koni and eibach coilover
all poly bushings from ES
and of course front and rear strut bars

Got to be one of the most under rated and best set-up....anyone who has ridden with GC and KONI Yellows know this...I know Sutter knows whats up....but again to orignal poster what are ur intents with the car.....roadcoarse..auto-x...drag....or jsut DD...no need to spend 2k if ur DD or not going to be a serious track car...its just not worth it
Old 03-13-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
1 grand is all u need for a good suspension setup

$800 coilovers
$60 FSTB
$150 RSB

there are other mods out there but those are for serious people only.
i want to sex your car....

oh suspention

why $60 for a fstb? arent the cheapo bars just as good at about half the price?

also.. how much to get all this stuff installed
thats something you never see talked about.. suspention installation costs. heh.....
Old 03-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Maxima Owner

because its so easy most people here do it themselves
Old 03-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
because its so easy most people here do it themselves
heh.. ive always been under the impression that suspentions were a major PITA to install.

so youre saying, if i have use of a high school auto shop, me and a buddy could install the suspention no problem for free(or close to free)?

out of curiosity.. how much would a shop charge?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 PM
VIP Maxima

i am a spoiled bastard. only things ive installed myself were the FSTB, bumper and tail lights, stillen kit, painted calipers, intake and my roof spoiler. oh i also do my oil changes myself too. i dont have tools and the space so i just suck it up and pay for everything else. even to change brake pads !!

you can do the FSTB and RSB yourself but for coilovers, find a PRO and suck up the $100 or so. heh

Old 03-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Maxima Owner

YEA FOR FREE......depeends they prolly charge anywhere from 2-3 hrs labor at about 75 bux per hour so figure 200 for install....the hardest part is compressing the springs and its easy...and i u get coilover they are completey assembled all u ahve to do is take out 16 bolts total .....then when ur done set your ride height
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I support for what?

heh.. ive always been under the impression that suspentions were a major PITA to install.

so youre saying, if i have use of a high school auto shop, me and a buddy could install the suspention no problem for free(or close to free)?

out of curiosity.. how much would a shop charge?

All you need is 2 jacks and the right sockets and a breaker bar or air tools and your basically good to go the front a bit harder then the rear gotta be careful when removing the front struts not to damage the cv boot. And if your going to do a strut/spring combo you will have to have a spring compressor and new parts or you can reuse your old ones depending on the mileage and condition of them but I recommend all new parts because there has ben people that have reused their stock parts and started getting noises.

Coilovers are just a direct swap take out the whole old strut and install the new coilover much lighter. I shaved off about 30-40 lbs going with coilovers. Took me 2 hrs to install my coilovers. And they are great wouldnt change them for nothing. I feel more in control with the road and they ride just like stock without the rocking feel
Old 03-13-2006, 12:59 PM

All you need is 2 jacks and the right sockets and a breaker bar or air tools and your basically good to go the front a bit harder then the rear gotta be careful when removing the front struts not to damage the cv boot. And if your going to do a strut/spring combo you will have to have a spring compressor and new parts or you can reuse your old ones depending on the mileage and condition of them but I recommend all new parts because there has ben people that have reused their stock parts and started getting noises.

Coilovers are just a direct swap take out the whole old strut and install the new coilover much lighter. I shaved off about 30-40 lbs going with coilovers. Took me 2 hrs to install my coilovers. And they are great wouldnt change them for nothing. I feel more in control with the road and they ride just like stock without the rocking feel
well if i do it myself ill have a lift and air tools to use

my CVs are shot and would probly be doing them at the same time too haha!

forgive my ignorance.. coilovers replace my struts only? or???
i keep my springs? im just confused here haha. also, coilovers do not need a compressor, correct?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 PM
VIP Maxima

coilovers = shocks + springs already compressed and ready to go on. you dont need to compress nothing.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Maxima Owner

COILOVERS = perfectly match springs and struts assembled with adjustable ride height and typically dampening....BOLT IN...pretty much waht VIP said
Old 03-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
COILOVERS = perfectly match springs and struts assembled with adjustable ride height and typically dampening....BOLT IN...pretty much waht VIP said
perfect. i thought it was a total replacement but i wasnt sure.

now.. what brand coilover is best? could i buy a set used or should i just bite the bullet and pay full price for new?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I support for what?

Here a GD for K-sports he doesnt show the price but I wouldnt pay more then 800 shipped. Just PM him and ask for a price

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=461633

Also here another deal. Id deal with this guy since the other guy new but he should be legit still. These are 795 shipped

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=430568
Old 03-13-2006, 03:06 PM

Here a GD for K-sports he doesnt show the price but I wouldnt pay more then 800 shipped. Just PM him and ask for a price

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=461633

Also here another deal. Id deal with this guy since the other guy new but he should be legit still. These are 795 shipped

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=430568
thanks alot!

now hopefully ill get the money so i can guy these! ill know likely tomorow

would buying used coilovers be silly?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

let me redo my list for a daily driver:

FSTB
RSTB
Eibach springs with your choice of adjustable strut
Long travel rear mounts
17x8 w/ 235/45 summer tires
ES bushings
Old 03-13-2006, 03:44 PM

let me redo my list for a daily driver:

FSTB
RSTB
Eibach springs with your choice of adjustable strut
Long travel rear mounts
17x8 w/ 235/45 summer tires
ES bushings
why not coilovers?
also, rstb instead of a rsb?

why have you chosen these things?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Sorry to brake the topic, but don't want to post just for this, could someone tell me where can I buy poly bushings set(all bushings)? Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by DuMKuH
Sorry to brake the topic, but don't want to post just for this, could someone tell me where can I buy poly bushings set(all bushings)? Thanks
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSwayBars

bottom of the page. several links.
edit: second section rather. jut read that page its not hard to find haha. (small page)
Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM

don't forget the wheel alignment when you're all done. Thats another 50-60bux right?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by xlr8r
don't forget the wheel alignment when you're all done. Thats another 50-60bux right?
of course.. and be sure to wait till the suspention has settled before you get it aligned or you'll have to do it again!

edit: i had a shop quote me $80. i need an alignment as is but im going to wait till i put the coils on before i align.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

why not coilovers?
also, rstb instead of a rsb?

why have you chosen these things?
most people dont want a stiff ride for daily use, some like a bit of comfort. a rear sway bar does more harm than good especially on a daily driver. it creates suspension bind and contributes to a harsher ride. also there can be an uneasy feeling while taking sweeping turns. the rear will break loose and over steer, which most dont know how to correct.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:32 PM

most people dont want a stiff ride for daily use, some like a bit of comfort. a rear sway bar does more harm than good especially on a daily driver. it creates suspension bind and contributes to a harsher ride. also there can be an uneasy feeling while taking sweeping turns. the rear will break loose and over steer, which most dont know how to correct.
well said. i was concerned about a RSB potentially putting me in a situation i dont want to be in with the back end breaking away. as it is now with really cheap tires i slide pretty evenly with nasty understeer. but its very predictible and controlable. ill stay away from a rsb. i dont like surprises when it involves me flying off the road into a ditch.

coilovers and 17's should keep a fairly comfortable ride shouldnt it? i learned to drive on my moms A6 with pretty stiff sidewalled 17s(it comes ith 16 stock) and it has a very stiff suspention. corners like a slot car with no body roll(for a 5000+lbs car its pretty crazy) if my max ends up riding like that or a little stiffer i'd be happy with the outcome. right now i very much dislike how my car feels like its riding on jello. stock 15's, $40 tires(bought it with the lame tires on it.. they were practially new tires when i got it) and GLE suspention makes for a really lame ride.

how stiff of a ride will coilovers be?!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Wild for Width

If you get like a few of us on this board you may want to spring for the lifetime alignment. After doing axles/balljoints/entire suspension swaps it has actually been SAVED me money.

Spring and strut setups are alright for a mild street setup but the springrates and aggressive dampening of true coilovers (a past set of D2 Racing Sport for me) cannot be matched and you wont beleive the potential of the A32.

For me, the constant maint. and trouble shooting (noise only) were the downsides of having the D2 coilovers. Coming up on the winter time and a heavy school/work load I did not want to spend time troubleshooting suspension problems.

If I had a full stock suspension laying around (I sold my GR-2 struts and was only left with SE springs) it may have been a different story. I more than likely would have just pulled the D2s for the winter and taken my time to fully service them.

I ended up trading the set of D2s for Tein S-Tech paired with AGX + a full stock suspension. From a pure money standpoint I would seem on the bottom but I have not regretted it in the slightest. I have played with the AGX's a bit and gotten the handling (not a strongpoint in the S-Tech) a bit sharper by also swapping bushings all around.

This will not be my last setup but I am happy with it for street driving. When the time comes I will more than likely go with a newer (mine were from the original batch) set of D2's as I am still keeping an eye on how the K-Sports have been holding up for people on the board.

Quick Reply: How much for a good suspension setup??