4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

!!Changing Fuel Filter!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:24 PM

!!Changing Fuel Filter!!

Hi, im thinking about changing the fuel filter my self on my 5spd SE. I can see it but its in an akward position. Can i access it from the top or the bottom?! I already bought it and now have no choice. Also, what can i use if the hoses are too tight or too hard? HELP!!! All tips welcome!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:25 PM
VIP Maxima

check how to's. the write up is there. its simple and easy.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 PM
VK56 Inside

If the hoses are stuck to the filter try twisting them to break em loose. I had to end up cutting the bottom hose. There is enough slack to do this once.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:46 PM

yeah its pretty simple. just a little difficult because you have little room to work with.just take your time.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:53 PM

I did mine myself on my 97 auto SE,its simple you need a short stubby (screw driver) you can get one from an autoparts store,the one I got has changeable heads like phillips,flat,hex head.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
VIP Maxima

first u need to remove the fuel pump fuse and start up the car till it dies so that u can release the fuel pressure.

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/fuelfilter.html

Old 03-13-2006, 01:55 PM

Hopefully, I wont screw this up!!! Thanks for the support. I will give it a shot prob this weekend coming up
Old 03-13-2006, 02:08 PM

Remove top screw and then let it hang down, and finish it under the car.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:36 PM

Remove your gas cap when you are replacing the fuel filter.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bobo
Remove your gas cap when you are replacing the fuel filter.
Is there a specific reasoning for this?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:47 PM

^ release with ever pressure might be left over.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

You can do it from on top of the car, no need to get underneath. I too had to cut one of the hoses when I changed mine.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:43 PM

definitely pull the fuel fuse and relieve some of the pressure. remove everything up to the TB. i got the bottom hose off fairly easy, then it was just the top hose hanging onto the fuel filter. I pushed down on it and fell right to the floor.

fyi:: have some cardboard/rags underneath the car by chance you still have fuel inside the filter that will spill out. wear rubber gloves as well, for protection and grip. it's easy, no sweat
Old 03-13-2006, 06:56 PM

I replaced my feul filter not too long ago and its not that bad. My knuckles got banged up a little but that heals. The only problem i ran into was putting the hoses back on the new filter. for me it was a lot easier to pull em off than it is to push the rubber hoses back on. I could only get the top hose back on about half an inch.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:15 PM

Changing this IMO was a PITA.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:48 PM

on having something under the car to catch any spills and wearing gloves. Even after removing the fuse and cranking to relieve pressure, I still spilled a couple of ounces of gasoline when I got the hoses off mine.

It's not that hard, it's just a tight space with little room to work in.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:04 PM

take off your fstb & intake/airbox, it will give u a lot more room to work with
Old 03-13-2006, 09:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
first u need to remove the fuel pump fuse and start up the car till it dies so that u can release the fuel pressure.
I never do this and still manage to not make a mess.

The best way I've found to get the hoses off is to crimp (crush) the old filter hose barbs with pliers since it's the old filter and you wont need it anymore. They come off very easily after this is done.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:24 PM

Good idea NmexMAX... I'll have to try that the next time I do mine.

Very important to pull that fuse and start it acouple of times. Also unscrew the gas cap to relieve the pressure as well (I didn't do this but I wish I did)

This is a fairly easy maintance to do and getting the hoses off is like 75% of the work.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:30 AM
Proud Maxima Owner

I've replaced my fuel filter twice. PITA, but the show must go on.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 AM

It makes a big difference if you have anti-lock brakes as the controller is in the way if you do.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by 96mAx2fast
Hi, im thinking about changing the fuel filter my self on my 5spd SE. I can see it but its in an akward position. Can i access it from the top or the bottom?! I already bought it and now have no choice. Also, what can i use if the hoses are too tight or too hard? HELP!!! All tips welcome!!!

Dude, relax a little. You are screaming about something you haven't even started yet. By all the exclamations, I thought you were in the middle of the job and you ran across a million roadblocks but you had to get your car back together in half an hour for a date with a 110 lb blonde with a size D chest. Good grief.

Search/read FAQs before asking somehting that has been discussed a hundred times.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Dude, relax a little. You are screaming about something you haven't even started yet. By all the exclamations, I thought you were in the middle of the job and you ran across a million roadblocks but you had to get your car back together in half an hour for a date with a 110 lb blonde with a size D chest. Good grief.

Search/read FAQs before asking somehting that has been discussed a hundred times.
LOL.. Thanks coach!!!

Guys, thanks for all the tips. I will do it this week.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Black Maxima

I did it...It was a BIIIIYATCH.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 PM

**MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE - SIDE OF THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING FUEL RELATED! **

Like has been mentioned earlier, the toughest part is removing the top and bottom hoses. After removing the clamps, The key to doing this is to grasp the filter, then use some needle nose plies to grasp the end of a hose. Twist the filter until it can turn without turning the hose (seal is broken), then the hose comes off easily. If you try to just remove the hose without twisting it first, well, your in for a

Have some extra hose clamps ready as well, as old clamps tend to self-destruct when they are removed. I did mine yesterday, with a fire extinguisher within arms reach and the phone to dial 911 if need be. Gas is dangerious as hell and there is no reason to suffer excessivly if there is a sudden explosion and fire and your arm is inside 3 feet of engine compartment.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Motorhead52
**MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE - SIDE OF THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING FUEL RELATED! **

Like has been mentioned earlier, the toughest part is removing the top and bottom hoses. After removing the clamps, The key to doing this is to grasp the filter, then use some needle nose plies to grasp the end of a hose. Twist the filter until it can turn without turning the hose (seal is broken), then the hose comes off easily. If you try to just remove the hose without twisting it first, well, your in for a

Have some extra hose clamps ready as well, as old clamps tend to self-destruct when they are removed. I did mine yesterday, with a fire extinguisher within arms reach and the phone to dial 911 if need be. Gas is dangerious as hell and there is no reason to suffer excessivly if there is a sudden explosion and fire and your arm is inside 3 feet of engine compartment.
Na, that's a little too paranoid, if you ask me. I don't even see the point of disconnecting the battery. I would however, releive the fuel pressure. That's important.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Motorhead52

well then u shouldnt be smokin while changin the filter

gas can be very dangerous but i wouldnt worry about ur car bein engulfed in flames if all ur doin is changin the filter
Old 03-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Black Maxima

...oh yea and if you have chubby arms/hands you will NOT be able to do it...

Old 03-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Licensed to Spell

Not to brag or anything, but the job is 10 times easier with an SC installed (vs. stock intake).
Old 03-16-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Na, that's a little too paranoid, if you ask me. I don't even see the point of disconnecting the battery. I would however, releive the fuel pressure. That's important.
I would disconnect simply because it only takes a dropped tool to fall on the starter and create a spark. Gas vapours ignite easily, fast and burn very hot, i usually take every precaution. Changing a filter might sound very routine, but dont underestimate the danger of gas. A few moments of my time to save a lot of trouble. But its your ride and your life.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:39 PM

i had gotten the top hose off, and had to turn the filter to the side a lil to get the bottom one off...my forearm got drenched in fuel in the process
Old 03-16-2006, 06:13 PM
this place is dead

I took off my tb, and intake, that was the only way I could get my hands in there to take the fuel filter off. It made it much easier to re-install the fuel filter with the tb off. I went and bought the Z filter, pep boys were out of maxima ones, I know some guys claim this is a "mod" but none the less it works fine.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 PM

I know this is gonna sound dumb but.....will this help wit gas milage and overall performance of the car?? And where exactly is it located??
Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DaBlackMaxx
will this help wit gas milage and overall performance of the car??
Depends on how clogged it is.
Originally Posted by DaBlackMaxx
And where exactly is it located??
Firewall just under and to the left (when facing the engine) of the brake master cylinder.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 PM

all you need is a flat head screw driver to pry the hoses off the old filter. I've done it on two maxima's so far, with and without abs. Its changing a fuel filter, it really fairly easy, just do it.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:40 AM

I'll let ya'll know how I make out. If I dont post before sunday, that means I blew up!!!! lol
Old 03-17-2006, 06:49 AM

There is a tool at my auto zone that is meant to pull the fuel lines away from ... might want to invest the 5 bucks and save an hour of struggle. I did it in a UGA parking lot ... got sprayed by the back pressure because I didn't open the gas cap. Don't make the same mistake.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 PM

make a picture or tel me more about that hose puller
Old 03-19-2006, 07:00 AM

Ok. Finally Done!!! I only used a philips screw driver to remove the screw on the clamp. Afterwards, I used a flat head to pry off the hoses alittle. They were a PITA to take off. I just got mad and used my brutal strength to twist them off. Twisten them while pulling them helped alot. I didnt remove my fsb or my intake. I just squeezed in there. Alittle bit of gas slowly came out of the filter when i removed it but that was it. I removed the fuse, cranked it dead and then removed the gas cap. Thanks for all the help guys..
Old 03-19-2006, 07:13 AM

I find it's easiest to use a pair of slip-joint pliers on the loose setting to help twist the hoses off.

for disconnecting the battery!

Quick Reply: !!Changing Fuel Filter!!