4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Custom cold air?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Custom cold air?

Anybody taken off the stock air box and run pipes down for a custom cold air? I was in pepboys getting some stuff the other day and saw some stuff that maybe could do this. Any threads or such?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:44 PM

Yes, check the stickies
Old 03-13-2006, 04:46 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

ill second the stickies but i just bought my CAI
Old 03-13-2006, 04:48 PM

It's called an OSCAI, go to the STICKIES.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Bacon Lover

Talk to me in a couple days. I'm waiting for a filter and MAF adapter to arrive, and I'll begin a project...

^Take that as a hint
Old 03-13-2006, 04:50 PM

You should also check this out.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Talk to me in a couple days. I'm waiting for a filter and MAF adapter to arrive, and I'll begin a project...

^Take that as a hint
Nice what type of filter are you going to use?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
Not the greatest of examples for him to follow.
Nice what type of filter are you going to use?
Just a generic ebay one for now.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Tatanko, you really should use a steel mesh filter something like the Blitz SUS, they get so much air in compared to others that use cotton or whatever.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Bacon Lover

Tatanko, you really should use a steel mesh filter, they get so much air in.
"Steel mesh"? It's all filters...what's the big deal?

EDIT: From tests I've seen, they don't do a much better job on getting air in, and are typically poorer at filtering. I'll stick with paper for now...
Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 PM

I've already posted in that thread. That's where I got this idea. Instead of running duct to the stock air box, I wanted to take it off and run piping down and put the filter on the end.

I love the posts that say "read stickies"...it's just a waste of time to write that. It takes just as long to post the thread where its from and even better....it takes less time to not write a stupid response! haha maybe its just me
Old 03-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
I've already posted in that thread. That's where I got this idea. Instead of running duct to the stock air box, I wanted to take it off and run piping down and put the filter on the end.
You want to run piping from the MAF to somewhere else and put a filter at the end of this custom piping? (Just getting my facts straight) Where do you want the filter to end up at?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:37 PM

Not really sure yet but somewhere lower for better cold air access.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Bacon Lover

Not really sure yet but somewhere lower for better cold air access.
Take a lesson from my recent R&D...keep the piping as short and bend-free as you can. Down low is a good place for cold air, but likewise it's a good place to pick up water. Weigh your pros and cons.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:45 PM

Take a lesson from my recent R&D...keep the piping as short and bend-free as you can. Down low is a good place for cold air, but likewise it's a good place to pick up water. Weigh your pros and cons.
True, but where else could I run for cold air?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:56 PM

why dont you just go on ebay and by a cai. They have the place racing style ones for about $30. Its not hard to put it in. You just need to drill a 3.5 inch hole next to the battery.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Bacon Lover

True, but where else could I run for cold air?
Be creative
Originally Posted by jvelos3
You just need to drill a 3.5 inch hole next to the battery.
Reason #1 I chose a different route...
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM

why dont you just go on ebay and by a cai. They have the place racing style ones for about $30. Its not hard to put it in. You just need to drill a 3.5 inch hole next to the battery.
Last person I checked with on the ebay intakes said that there's wasn't even made correctly for the max. Pipes where bent all the wrong directions. Unless you've got better first hand experience, let me know.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what about something like the 350z? with the filter sitting vertical instead of flat? hmm... wheels are starting to turn in my head...
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by zander
what about something like the 350z? with the filter sitting vertical instead of flat? hmm... wheels are starting to turn in my head...
Think it would make a difference if it was sitting vertically?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:31 PM

more direct flow into the engine, then run a "ram air" to the corner light like tanako is doing, one less 90 before the manifold. I read the 350 intake setup has super high efficiency. Some one said over 100 percent, so boosted essentially?? And they have the filter sitting vertically, so it can't be a bad thing. The top part of the box shouldnt be a problem, its fitting the bottom with the battery sitting there that could be a problem, might wanna use the lower airbox out of somthing else. I know the altima is the same, filters are the same anyway, but I don't think that will help with space...
Old 03-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Ok I gotcha.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Bacon Lover

more direct flow into the engine, then run a "ram air" to the corner light like tanako is doing, one less 90 before the manifold. I read the 350 intake setup has super high efficiency. Some one said over 100 percent, so boosted essentially?? And they have the filter sitting vertically, so it can't be a bad thing.
The filter sitting vertically has nothing to do with it. Sure it can't be a bad thing, but is it worth your time to make yours like that? No. You'll get nothing out of that.

One less 90ş angle? My intake setup will have none Bends, sure, but no 90's.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Last person I checked with on the ebay intakes said that there's wasn't even made correctly for the max. Pipes where bent all the wrong directions. Unless you've got better first hand experience, let me know.
Fits perfectly for me...i dont know where you got your information from but maybe the guy thought that you didnt need to drill a hole next to the battery. It doesnt come with instructions but from the instructions online and pictures...I was able to drill the hole in the appropriate spot...took me about 1 hr to install.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 PM

The Blitz sus the filter I have in my car currently lets in a lot of air but filtration is poor.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
The Blitz sus the filter I have in my car currently lets in a lot of air but filtration is poor.
Thank you for chiming in sir.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:36 PM

Actually I think the way the intake is set up has alot to do with the efficiency of their overall intake system, on the 350z. The air comes from the front fender and has a straight shot to the tb. I'm sure you've seen one before. The manifold still bends around the same way our manifolds do, but theirs seem to do a full 180 from fresh air to the engine
Old 03-13-2006, 07:40 PM

Thank you for chiming in sir.
Yea if you do get another company here were some tests done. You can see how they stack up to the rest http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Bacon Lover

Actually I think the way the intake is set up has alot to do with the efficiency of their overall intake system, on the 350z. The air comes from the front fender and has a straight shot to the tb. I'm sure you've seen one before. The manifold still bends around the same way our manifolds do, but theirs seem to do a full 180 from fresh air to the engine
Ok...and how is flipping the filter vertically going to replicate that setup? It's not. It's not really possible on a Maxima, especially without relocating the battery. Also, you'd have to pop out the headlight or something to get direct air, and that's not exactly a quick process.
Yea if you do get another company here were some tests done. You can see how they stack up to the rest http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
That's actually the article I was referring to. Thanks for the link, though, I haven't seen it in awhile.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Wild for Width

Reason #1 I chose a different route...
So then you have a cut up corner instead of a hole inside the engine bay?

I am interested in the final product, mainly because I know its not going end up looking riceboy style and from this point I am wondering how you are going to pull that off. Just dont do a velocity stack......
Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Fr33way
So then you have a cut up corner instead of a hole inside the engine bay?

I am interested in the final product, mainly because I know its not going end up looking riceboy style and from this point I am wondering how you are going to pull that off. Just dont do a velocity stack......
The clearance light was an extra one I had laying around with broken mounting tabs (which I fixed), for track use only.

Riceboy? Ehh...the first prototypes are going to use PVC piping (although painted black and made to look nice in other ways...won't look as bad as you're probably imagining in your head right now). No velocity stack
Old 03-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Wild for Width

That makes me want to go Apexi and drop the old K&N in the wastebasket.

Any more tests like this?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Wild for Width

The clearance light was an extra one I had laying around with broken mounting tabs (which I fixed), for track use only.

Riceboy? Ehh...the first prototypes are going to use PVC piping (although painted black and made to look nice in other ways...won't look as bad as you're probably imagining in your head right now). No velocity stack
I should have thought about a spare, I thought you had gone and started cutting things up on a whim.

3 inch diameter? I had trouble finding pipe when I was developing an intake for a Volvo I owned (see: No Aftermarket). Are you taking heat into consideration?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Bacon Lover

I should have thought about a spare, I thought you had gone and started cutting things up on a whim.

3 inch diameter? I had trouble finding pipe when I was developing an intake for a Volvo I owned (see: No Aftermarket). Are you taking heat into consideration?
No way would I sacrifice a good light

There's not enough room for full 3" diameter piping where I'm routing it. 2.5" would fit quite well, but my prototype is actually going to use 2". Once I go to metal piping in the future it will be 2.5". As far as heat, I don't see it being a concern...my piping will be painted black to help get rid of it, and plastic doesn't heat soak quite as bad as metal does. It's also not routed near any significant source of heat.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:25 PM

That makes me want to go Apexi and drop the old K&N in the wastebasket.

Any more tests like this?
hmm not that I know of.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Wild for Width

No way would I sacrifice a good light

There's not enough room for full 3" diameter piping where I'm routing it. 2.5" would fit quite well, but my prototype is actually going to use 2". Once I go to metal piping in the future it will be 2.5". As far as heat, I don't see it being a concern...my piping will be painted black to help get rid of it, and plastic doesn't heat soak quite as bad as metal does. It's also not routed near any significant source of heat.
So why are you going to metal? It would seem to me that matching the TB and MAFs diameter and keeping it uniform would help flow. You can only get as much air through as your smallest section.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 PM
100% chingon

I shan't be installing that. Here, flash floods can have water up to your doors and that is not the time to have the motor sucking water.
What a horrible idea, anyway.
How about adapting the old favourite solution of all good ole boys with V8 funny cars, namely the large hole in the hood, air scoop, and flexible gasket leading to the air filter (when hood is properly closed)?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:44 PM

Fits perfectly for me...i dont know where you got your information from but maybe the guy thought that you didnt need to drill a hole next to the battery. It doesnt come with instructions but from the instructions online and pictures...I was able to drill the hole in the appropriate spot...took me about 1 hr to install.
Where'd you get yours? I'm looking on ebay now to see whats up and I'm not sure what to be looking for. I found a Bomz Cold Air for $32. I'm wondering if it says "cold air" is that gonna be like the PR type cold air? What's up?!

Clive, sweet idea. I always thought about doing some type of scope in the hood for that. I'm pretty sure that would be a great set up but no idea how its possible haha
Old 03-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by clive
How about adapting the old favourite solution of all good ole boys with V8 funny cars, namely the large hole in the hood, air scoop, and flexible gasket leading to the air filter (when hood is properly closed)?
No?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Wild for Width

Where'd you get yours? I'm looking on ebay now to see whats up and I'm not sure what to be looking for. I found a Bomz Cold Air for $32. I'm wondering if it says "cold air" is that gonna be like the PR type cold air? What's up?!

Clive, sweet idea. I always thought about doing some type of scope in the hood for that. I'm pretty sure that would be a great set up but no idea how its possible haha
CAI will draw air from the fender most often. The 6inch tubes with crap on the end on eBay are not CAI's

Quick Reply: Custom cold air?