4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OEM CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 08:36 PM

Anyone know where I can get an OEM CD Changer for a 98 GLE and how much?

Does any one know of any aftermarket changers that work with the stock Bose Head unit?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2001, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Nicks98gle
Anyone know where I can get an OEM CD Changer for a 98 GLE and how much?

Does any one know of any aftermarket changers that work with the stock Bose Head unit?

Thanks

Any aftermarket one should. It is simply a connection and the bose unit has the controls for it. Talk to the salesperson at the store if you're unsure of your purchase.(if you decide to ask make sure you go to a place where people know what they are talking about)
Old 06-12-2001, 10:21 PM

actually

1. Any place that knows what they're talking about will tell you that just about any aftermarket cd changer will *NOT* work with your BOSE deck. I believe Clarion or Panasonic or somebody makes a changer that works with BOSE.

2. IIRC, half of aftermarket changers use proprietary control links that only work with the same brand of deck. The other half use FM modulation, which reduces sound quality, and they cost more. The FM models *WILL* work w/ the BOSE deck.

3. Your local Nissan dealer will be happy to sell you an OEM changer for something like $500. LOL

4. Your best bet: for the same money, buy a nice aftermarket deck and changer (Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, whatever). Oh yeah, you'll want to replace the BOSE speakers too, add another $200-300 for those, and you've got a great system w/ extra space in your dash, clearer highs, a remote, more informative display on the deck, and oh whatever else... the BOSE (Clarion) system isn't great, it's just good.

good luck,
Justin
Old 06-13-2001, 07:05 AM

Re: actually

Originally posted by justmax
1. Any place that knows what they're talking about will tell you that just about any aftermarket cd changer will *NOT* work with your BOSE deck. I believe Clarion or Panasonic or somebody makes a changer that works with BOSE.
I second that

2. IIRC, half of aftermarket changers use proprietary control links that only work with the same brand of deck. The other half use FM modulation, which reduces sound quality, and they cost more. The FM models *WILL* work w/ the BOSE deck.[/B][/QUOTE]
Not even all Clarion models will work with it.

3. Your local Nissan dealer will be happy to sell you an OEM changer for something like $500. LOL[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, they'd be glad to rip you off

4. Your best bet: for the same money, buy a nice aftermarket deck and changer (Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, whatever). Oh yeah, you'll want to replace the BOSE speakers too, add another $200-300 for those, and you've got a great system w/ extra space in your dash, clearer highs, a remote, more informative display on the deck, and oh whatever else... the BOSE (Clarion) system isn't great, it's just good.

good luck,
Justin [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, your best bet would be to look on eBay or junk yards- you could pick one up in the $200-300 range. Of course if you have the money (upwards of $1000) go ahead and replace the system..

Roman
Old 06-13-2001, 09:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: actually

Originally posted by Roman-dude

3. Your local Nissan dealer will be happy to sell you an OEM changer for something like $500. LOL
Yeah, they'd be glad to rip you off
[/B][/QUOTE]

actually... i dont know about all dealerships of nissan, but the one near here told me that they had a special going on for the oem cd changer (in dash too!)... price...? 220 installed!! u might want to ask ur dealer bout this.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:57 AM

Here are 2 on eBay

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1244890691

2) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...334495&r=0&t=0
Old 06-13-2001, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

REALLY - your best bet is to look for a spec-usa oem compatible cd cchanger. Use the search function for this forum (if it'll work)

I installed one on my wife's 96 about 8 months ago and it has been great. If I recall correctly it was about $200-$250.

As for installation - you don't get much in the way of instructions but, again, most are referenced on this forum if you search. I might have all of the threads in one place, I'll check.

Go to www.premieraudio.com

Also, this will help with getting the dash apart. The hardest part is the ashtray. WRAP THE RADIO or you WILL scratch your interior.

http://www.geocities.com/natanis_ca/...dash_page.html