4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help! URGENT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Need help! URGENT!!!!

Hey, im having a major problem.

In the process of changing my spark plugs, a boot came off the coilpack, and stayed on the plug. What happened next is a nightmare. To get the boot (that was covered in oil, by the way) i decided to put a socket in there and just pull it out. No such luck. the socket got STUCK on the boot, now the whole thing won't budge out of the spark plug chamber. this was the hardest spark plug to get to, so now I took off the upper intake manifold, and rear valve cover and STILL no luck, i've been trying to get at this for 4 hours. I can try to lossen the socket, but everytime i turn it, it always has the same resistance (the rubber boot just spins)

My car's not in driveable condition, and i wanna know what i can do to take out the socket and boot. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I need this ASAP.

Thanks,
-Freddy
Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 PM

whats up freddy?? .. yeah i remember changing my plugs, its a nightmare .. people that say its easy are liers! .. hmm..try a thin wire hanger and bend it in a shape to wear you can catch soemthing and then pull it out, thats what I did ... OR get some super glue and apply it and hold it in place for a few minutes and then pull out ! ..
Old 03-21-2006, 06:53 PM

also maybe a try a powerful magnet
Old 03-21-2006, 06:54 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

well, the problem isnt the boot, it's the actual socket that's stuck in there..you think if i put some super glue or jb weld on my extension, it'll stick to the socket and i'll be able to pull it out?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM

yup I did that with my uncle ..
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM

well for starters, i would go after the socket first. Can you somehow glue an extension into the socket and pull it out that way?...then worry about the glued socket later? Then go after the boot with some of those long needle nose pliers? I'm assuming maybe you don't have a pair of those handy.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by BlackMaxdout
well for starters, i would go after the socket first. Can you somehow glue an extension into the socket and pull it out that way?...then worry about the glued socket later? Then go after the boot with some of those long needle nose pliers? I'm assuming maybe you don't have a pair of those handy.
there's a fair amount of oil in the chamber, would jb weld or super glue still stick with the oil present?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 PM

make sure u use a lot of glue though
Old 03-21-2006, 07:01 PM

try and use a long Qtip or something of the sort to clean out the oil
Old 03-21-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
there's a fair amount of oil in the chamber, would jb weld or super glue still stick with the oil present?
won't know until you try. Try CA glue (cyanoacrylate)...its like crazy super glue. You could always try quick cure epoxy...but that extension and socket would then be one tool

You can't hook something sharp into the square hole in the socket and catch on the rubber part or something? I understand the oil problem, but try stabbing the rubber of the socket to hook it.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:23 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

won't know until you try. Try CA glue (cyanoacrylate)...its like crazy super glue. You could always try quick cure epoxy...but that extension and socket would then be one tool

You can't hook something sharp into the square hole in the socket and catch on the rubber part or something? I understand the oil problem, but try stabbing the rubber of the socket to hook it.
I tried it, something sharp doesnt hook cause of the oil, just slips off.

I have some epoxy laying around, and some super glue, and jb weld, so i should be able to take it out tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it sounds like you didnt use a spark plug socket just a regular deep socket. If thats the case than the regulaar deep sockets walls are slightly thicker than a spark plug socket. Cause the wall of the socket is a little thicker if you tilt it any it will bind up aganist the spark plug tube. Some times you can use the extension and a hammer and tap on the socket to get it to un bind if not youll have to take the spark plug tube out if you can and knock it out.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the glue wont stick b/c of the oil.. good luck!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:44 PM

How...?...try tapping it with a hammer lightly all around the edges to break it loose.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by the_3d_man
How...?...try tapping it with a hammer lightly all around the edges to break it loose.
Yea, not hard you might wedge it in there more just around the edges to get it to un bind
Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

tried that, doesnt work, it's bound pretty tight, i even tried an impact gun to try and loosen it, and no luck. I'm gonna try to epoxy or jb weld tomorrow. I'll be sure to clean up the surfaces as much as possible.

And how would you remove the spark plug tube? I'm under the impression you would have to remove the head.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:54 PM

im not sure on the max i know on some cars they unscrew out but ill check in the haynes real quick
Old 03-21-2006, 08:02 PM

nothing about how to remove the spark plug tubes in the haynes so i dont know
Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 PM

if you can take the valve cover off, and the tubes are still there, I'm almost positive that you should be able to unscrew the tube. Then find some way to knock everything out of it.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:41 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how this happened...I just don't get it. why would a socket aide in getting the boot out? ...how did the socket get stuck in the hole?...yeah... if you use epoxy you should be able to get it out. then you can just heat up the epoxy with a lighter and it will crumble away and you can save your socket.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
whats up freddy?? .. yeah i remember changing my plugs, its a nightmare .. people that say its easy are liers! ..
no, they just aren't useless with tools
Old 03-21-2006, 11:36 PM

tried that, doesnt work, it's bound pretty tight, i even tried an impact gun to try and loosen it, and no luck. I'm gonna try to epoxy or jb weld tomorrow. I'll be sure to clean up the surfaces as much as possible.

And how would you remove the spark plug tube? I'm under the impression you would have to remove the head.
Use a screw driver to break the ceramic part of the spark plug. Then you can get the metal part out with a regular socket.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Rit

No - !!!

Do not break the ceremic part. If you do that, when you remove the remaider of the spark plug, all of the broken bits will go into your cylinder, and then you might as well buy a new head, because you'll do tons of damage. Maybe you should have it towed to a garage. It may cost a few bucks, but they'll save your engine. Or maybe you can drive it as is. It'll misfifre, but if you don't have to go that far, it should be OK.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:16 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Rit
Do not break the ceremic part. If you do that, when you remove the remaider of the spark plug, all of the broken bits will go into your cylinder, and then you might as well buy a new head, because you'll do tons of damage. Maybe you should have it towed to a garage. It may cost a few bucks, but they'll save your engine. Or maybe you can drive it as is. It'll misfifre, but if you don't have to go that far, it should be OK.
if i break the ceramic part, i'm going to ue a vacuum to clean out all the bits. I'm not going to take any chances.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Owns way too many maximas

Damn, I can't believe you are having so much trouble. It sounds like that coil has been on there for ages. I've done so many and they never are hard to get out. Take the 2 bolts off and they usually slip right out. Makes me think it is melted to the plug. I would put a long extension on the socket now and try and wiggle the socket loose. Then once its out, work the coil out. Were you using a small plug socket or a deep one designed for foregin cars with the spark plug tubes?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:34 AM

remind me again...how you are going to break the ceramic head when an electrode goes through it AND its still stuck under a deep socket and rubber boot?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:47 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Blaxima95
Damn, I can't believe you are having so much trouble. It sounds like that coil has been on there for ages. I've done so many and they never are hard to get out. Take the 2 bolts off and they usually slip right out. Makes me think it is melted to the plug. I would put a long extension on the socket now and try and wiggle the socket loose. Then once its out, work the coil out. Were you using a small plug socket or a deep one designed for foregin cars with the spark plug tubes?
the coil isnt the problem, the boot is stuck on there, and to add insult to injury, my smart self managed to get a deep socket stuck on top of the boot. I'm going to try the epoxy method. if that doesnt work, i have no idea what to do.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:48 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

remind me again...how you are going to break the ceramic head when an electrode goes through it AND its still stuck under a deep socket and rubber boot?
when trying to put a hole in the boot with a flathead and try to free the socket, I think I did some damage to the ceramic head, thats why im gonna use a vacuum to try and get out all the pieces that are in there.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:50 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Wow good luck Freddie. This sucks.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:53 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

yeah, if the epoxy thing doesnt work, i'm drilling the thing out.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Owns way too many maximas

the coil isnt the problem, the boot is stuck on there, and to add insult to injury, my smart self managed to get a deep socket stuck on top of the boot. I'm going to try the epoxy method. if that doesnt work, i have no idea what to do.
Can you get a long needle nose on the socket itself and wiggle the hell out of it and try to break it loose?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:12 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Blaxima95
Can you get a long needle nose on the socket itself and wiggle the hell out of it and try to break it loose?
nope, there's no space, the socket is almost the size of the tube.

I put some epoxy, i'll wait till it dries for a few hours, then i'll try and yank the whole thing out.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:17 PM

man, I hope you didnt get any on the inside of the tube...or else it'll really be FUBAR. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

man, I hope you didnt get any on the inside of the tube...or else it'll really be FUBAR. Good luck!
the epoxy wasnt strong enough. Thats what i get for buying 3 dollar autozone kind. I'm trying the JB weld now. This is getting ridiculous. I hope I dont have to drill into the socket.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:51 PM

people dont freak out and not change your spark plugs because he had a bad experience..im not knocking on you but he used a larger socket and thats the reason it is stuck...use a real sparkplug socket and tape your extension to the socket and have a magnet handy for the screws on the coil packs
Old 03-22-2006, 03:13 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Sharp
people dont freak out and not change your spark plugs because he had a bad experience..im not knocking on you but he used a larger socket and thats the reason it is stuck...use a real sparkplug socket and tape your extension to the socket and have a magnet handy for the screws on the coil packs
yes, by all means ,change your sparkplugs. i used a regular sparkplug socket, but I wanted a socket to go over the boot, not knowing it would get stuck.

if you're local, here's a thread, i'm willing to pay $50 to anyone who can help me with my problem. I'm in Elizabeth, NJ

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....05#post4831805
Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 PM

yeah...you could have had this out yesterday... if all of the other things fail... do this.
1. take a q-tip or whatever and some alcohol or degreaser, etc. and clean the socket with it.
2. get a wooden dowl or something to stick down there.
3. Put a few drops of 5 minute epoxy on the end and stick it down there onto the socket (without sticking it to the side tube) and wait about 20-30 minutes (5 minutes to harden, 30 minutes to cure).
4. Pull it out (epoxy is strong crap, it should work)
Old 03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

oh my god... you could have had this out yesterday... if all of the other things fail... do this.
1. take a q-tip or whatever and some alcohol or degreaser, etc. and clean the socket with it.
2. get a wooden dowl or something to stick down there.
3. Put a few drops of 5 minute epoxy on the end and stick it down there onto the socket (without sticking it to the side tube) and wait about 20-30 minutes (5 minutes to harden, 30 minutes to cure).
4. Pull it out (epoxy is strong crap, it should work)
I tried that. epoxy wasnt strong enough. I'm using jbweld now.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM

lol... this is crazy... i wish i lived near you just so i could see this myself
Old 03-22-2006, 03:34 PM

man, it's too bad I'm not down that way...I'd help you out. My gram lives in Frenchtown, NJ. I could be in Elizabeth in no time.

By they way...drilling the socket is going to be near impossible. It's hardened steel.

Quick Reply: Need help! URGENT!!!!