4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about my 95 =]

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:53 PM

Question about my 95 =]

So I know theres a fog light post, but its 4-5 pages long, and I was worried because it was so long, I might not get an answer. So Im asking here...

I run a 95 Maxima GLE. Now as most of you know, the GLE did not come with standard or optional foglights. I have heard though that nissan would have them installed on the side after the purchase of the blah blah blah.

So I want foglights pretty badly, just love the way they look. Ive looked at my max and it appears that you cant just pop out holes in the bumper and put in OEM fogs...so heres my question. Where do I go from here? The way I see it, I have 4 options...
a) Go to a dealership and have it done (if they even do it anymore)
b) Cut holes myself and install OEMs
c) get a newer model bumper (97 or up, if it will fit correctly)
d) or buy after market
Now I know price range varies, but I wanted to ask all of your opinions on what I should do, and what would be my best bet as far as money and work and appearances will come out like.

Thanks,
Robby.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Team Ramrod

If I can remember correctly, you don't need to cut the bumper to fit OEM fogs. I am in the same boat as you, so I'll tell you what I am probably going to do. Go to a junkyard and see if I can find a set in good condition. If that doesn't work, then I would buy a set of OEM from a parts website and just buy a brand new set off of there. Keep in mind you will have to wire the switch for them too. There's no point in converting the front bumper to a '97+ simply for fog lights, if you think about it. And IMO, there are no aftermarket fog lights that look nearly as good as OEM.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
If I can remember correctly, you don't need to cut the bumper to fit OEM fogs.
So how exactly will I mount them? the holes where the OEM normally fit is part of the bumper...

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
There's no point in converting the front bumper to a '97+ simply for fog lights, if you think about it.
I actually wanna do it for the fog lights, the grill and the general design, ha.

Also: I have Arctic headlights, and Ice-bulb turn signals(basically just fancy for blue headlights and corners) can I get blue lights for the fogs as well so I can keep the color flow?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
No more Maximas...

For the 97-99 front end conversion, you'd need the headlights and grille too, btw.

I do believe that cutting is necessary, the covers are just molded fiberglass as is the rest of the bumper.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
For the 97-99 front end conversion, you'd need the headlights and grille too, btw.

I do believe that cutting is necessary, the covers are just molded fiberglass as is the rest of the bumper.
So how much work do you think is involved and how hard do you think the work will be?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:19 PM

I dont believe you NEED the headlights for 97 conversion, you can use your existing glass headlights, only difference is the 97 ones are nicer and plastic...

You do need the grill though.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by s0ber
I dont believe you NEED the headlights for 97 conversion, you can use your existing glass headlights, only difference is the 97 ones are nicer and plastic...

You do need the grill though.

Well like I said, I want the 97 front end because I want fog lights, and I like the "chrome-line" grill, and I like the over all look and feel of the front bumper.

My question is, did the 97's come in pearl white (QN0) and would the fogs/grill/bumper be hard to find at a junkyard?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Disconnected
Well like I said, I want the 97 front end because I want fog lights, and I like the "chrome-line" grill, and I like the over all look and feel of the front bumper.

My question is, did the 97's come in pearl white (QN0) and would the fogs/grill/bumper be hard to find at a junkyard?
I'll sell you my chrome 97-99 grille for $55 shipped if you like, just let me know.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by azrael
I'll sell you my chrome 97-99 grille for $55 shipped if you like, just let me know.
Interesting...
a) where do you live
b) 55 bucks, I assume by "shipped" you mean youll pay for shipping?
c) even if I have a full 95 end (front bumper, lights, everything) can I just take out the 95 grill and put the 97-99 in?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Disconnected
Interesting...
a) where do you live
b) 55 bucks, I assume by "shipped" you mean youll pay for shipping?
c) even if I have a full 95 end (front bumper, lights, everything) can I just take out the 95 grill and put the 97-99 in?
No the 97 grill will not fit in a 95/96 without modifications with a dremel...

Yes 97-99 came in QN0 from my understanding...
Old 03-22-2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by s0ber
No the 97 grill will not fit in a 95/96 without modifications with a dremel...

Yes 97-99 came in QN0 from my understanding...
In that case, Azrael, Ill have to wait until I get to a junk yard and find a 97-99 front bumper, fogs, lights, etc, and if I cant find a grill, or they charge more than 55 for the grill, Ill gladly buy from you, but other than that, sorry man.

s0ber: Now if I manage to find a 97-99 front end, the whole set up: Bumper, Grill, headlights, fogs. Is there anything NON-cosmetic I need to change in order to fit them, or can I just switch from one to the other?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 PM

yea the 97-99 grille is bigger on the bottom...andu do need to cut the holes for the fogs....goingwith the OEM 95s are ure best bet, but if u have a lotta cash, the 97-99 front end looks 3563 times better than the 95-96..go for it...OEM fogs will be very hard to find at a junkyard...(at least at the ones by me)...you could check www.car-part.com though
Old 03-22-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 95GLEMAXX
yea the 97-99 grille is bigger on the bottom...andu do need to cut the holes for the fogs....goingwith the OEM 95s are ure best bet, but if u have a lotta cash, the 97-99 front end looks 3563 times better than the 95-96..go for it...OEM fogs will be very hard to find at a junkyard...(at least at the ones by me)...you could check www.car-part.com though
So basically all I'll need to do is buy the bumper, head lights and grill and I can convert my front end to 97-99?

95/96 is FULLY unterchangable with 97-99?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM

yes it is.. i am doing it myself right now as we speak...headlights are the same size, but if u buy the bumper, then u need the grille

only buy new headlights if u wanna upgrade from the foggyish glass ones to the clearer plastic ones
Old 03-22-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 95GLEMAXX
yes it is.. i am doing it myself right now as we speak...headlights are the same size, but if u buy the bumper, then u need the grille

only buy new headlights if u wanna upgrade from the foggyish glass ones to the clearer plastic ones
Absolutely awesome, youre reply just made my day.

Im hitting up a junkyard first thing tomorrow...Thanks guys.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 PM

traitor!
oh well, make the 95-look even more unique. im gettin my fogs soon.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
traitor!
oh well, make the 95-look even more unique. im gettin my fogs soon.
Anti-conformist!
I just want OEM fog lights and the 97-99 grill, and hey, a Maxima is a maxima, right?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 PM

i got the same exact car and year. i just finish my conversion.this is what i got. my car was hit in front so i upgraded. i got the 95 glass headlight, reused grille. i got 97 bumper. i bought the foglights after which is also glass. but you will neeed the 97 grille like they said if you don't want a gap under the grille. then the foglights will need a bracket that hold it in place.just buy a kit from ebay or something. the bracket bolts directly in place. holes are predrilled and lights prewired. i even went further to get the headlights switch but the damn plug was different from 95 to 97. 95 has 3 wires as to 97 4 wires. i will figure it out and make it work. it can get time consuming to do what i did. i think i did it all in about 2 hrs. bumper lining up took most of the time. but if u keep the 95 bumper i think you will see the hole will not be evenly cut. the 97 is tucked in so you can't see it if you mess up. oh if you are wondering how much i spent.
50 for bumper
75 for both headlights
155 for the foglights, headlight switch, relay
12 for the beers while doin it
there you go. you will love the look after you are done. i will take pics after i fix my trunk and put ionics kit on. damn jerks hit and run me now i got to fix my rearend too. oh well more projects to do.enjoy your mod man
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by orleanzmax
50 for bumper
75 for both headlights
155 for the foglights, headlight switch, relay
Now those prices...were they from a junk yard, dealership, or body shop somewhere. because I wanna know where you got a painted bumper for 50 bucks...
Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I browsed through this thread didn't see a clear answer, but you are not required to change the headlights for a 97-99 bumper/grille. From my understanding, the only other modification required is to cut off two little elevated metal pieces directly under the bumper where the 2 ends of the grille are. Other than that, it fit almost perfectly, I think it would have been perfect for me if I used an OEM bumper.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 AM

Can I cut that off with the hacksaw I have hanging up, or am I gonna need to get something like a plasma cutter? ( A freind of mine works in a shop that hell let me occasionally do a side job in every few months)
Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 PM

now i didn't say the bumper was painted. i bought the bumper from certifit. also the 95 headlight fit just fine, no gap. just need the grille. the gap is killing the look. also i got it painted by a friend who will also be painting my kit and spoiler as well. when i get a chance, i will get the jambs. car was spinach green before. also i would not recommend using a a hacksaw. it leaves unwanted bends. i was lucky to have an air grinder.life so much easier with air tools