4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So Im in a very heated debate right now

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:33 PM

So Im in a very heated debate right now

I got a "buddy" who it seems his latest form of entertainment is telling me that my car isnt built for speed and to stop speeding / racing. Saying that my car cant handle power upgrades, or even the power that it already has stock.

This has been going on for a couple days now, and it was really starting to get under my skin, so Ive used a few arguements:

1) The vq30 and vq35 are similar engines, just different manifolds, intake, etc; and that if the vq35 engines were built for performance, then what logic says the vq30 wasnt?

2) He says that my car cant handle high speeds, even going in a straight line, so I said if thats the case, then why did Nissan let them go un governed? (excluding some GXE's I beleive?) They rated the car at a top speed of 140(from what I've read) and if Nissan, or any motor company for that matter, lets a car run wild at 135mph, then Im pretty sure they were confident the car can handle the speed.

3) I now turn to a video off of VQpower.com, of a Turbo Max racing a z06 and winning by a car length. It was hard to see the max was ahead, but even if he doubts the max winning, its still VERY APPEARANT that the max stayed right next to the z06, making the max still fast none the less.

Now hes calling bull**** on the video, and saying I have no bragging rights. I know that I DONT, but thats bragging rights for Maximas in general that it beat a z06, to say "Yeah, my Import v6 is capable of holding down a Domestic v8"

Does anyone agree or disagree?
Should I keep argueing with him or just give it up?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

It all depends on what is comparing the maxima to.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 PM

give up, morons like that never listen :P
Old 03-29-2006, 03:39 PM

it may not have been "built" for speed but it can back itself up for what it is....not sure about all 97-99 but i know in 96 it was the fastest car in its class including v8s.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
It all depends on what is comparing the maxima to.
He's comparing numerous things
Other Sedans: Which it out-performed them in its day
Todays cars: for a car thats 10-11 years old, It still holds its own against cars as new as 02-03 with my experiences.
He rejected my logic on both of those excuses and told me to go to a track and race some domestics...right. the supercharged v8s with spray versus my import v6 stock...Thats as fair of a fight as a 5th grade child getting in the ring with a professional boxer or wrestler.

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
it may not have been "built" for speed but it can back itself up for what it is....not sure about all 97-99 but i know in 96 it was the fastest car in its class including v8s.
Right, I also sent him an article about our 95-96's back when they first emerged and they were rated as the best performing car in its class and even against some cars outside its class. He rejected it.

Originally Posted by S0ber
give up, morons like that never listen :P
I know, really.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:06 PM

what does he drive? a mustang?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
What was that?

Just tell the kid he's absolutely right and ignore him. If he wants to prove it then race him on a track and beat him.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by s0ber
what does he drive? a mustang?
Same Motor Co. The kid drives an 02' explorer.

Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
Just tell the kid he's absolutely right and ignore him. If he wants to prove it then race him on a track and beat him.
Im waiting for him to say "youre wrong" on a topic, then Im planning on just confronting him with: "Okay, if you know so much, then tell me, How does an engine work, how does the transmission take power from the engine and put it on the wheels. Whats a full-cat back? what does EFI, or MAF stand for, how is horsepower actually rated/calculated? Go on, if you know it all, tell me"

And hopefully that will do one of two things.
A) shut him and prove him wrong
B) make him realize that maybe he doesnt know as much as he though, and to play nice.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:24 PM

But one of the points I was trying to make is, for those of you who have seen the TurboMax vs Z06 vid, is it legit?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Anyone driving an exploder, has no right talk crap whatsoever.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Anyone driving an exploder, has no right talk crap whatsoever.
Thats what I keep saying. Im waiting for him to roll it and once I know hes not hurt or injured, Its gonna be a massive "Whos car is ****ty now?"-fest
Old 03-29-2006, 04:41 PM

quit sweatin that fool.
do not value an idiots opinion.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
quit sweatin that fool.
do not value an idiots opinion.
Oh yeah, you already know about this kid...ha

Well Ive pretty much already told him to **** off until he stops being ignorant. Anyways, now I just have one question, the z06 vid...does any one know if its legit or not? I mean, Its beleiveable to me.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:01 PM

Tell him to have his "exploder" go 140 and then start to talk. If he is complaining about speed and such, and how your car can't handle it, how come he doesn't have a car that he can back his claim up with?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Disconnected
The kid drives an 02' explorer.

And you feel like you need to have a pissing contest because?

He is a bench racer. Period.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:11 PM
VIP Maxima

ROFL explorer driver is educating a max owner about racing. tell him that u gonna upgrade to an explorer. btw is he still on them FiReStONeS ??

Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Wild for Width

But one of the points I was trying to make is, for those of you who have seen the TurboMax vs Z06 vid, is it legit?
Very. The car was Nealoc187's turbo.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:14 PM

our cars are slow,

190hp 205 tq some real scary numbers there.

Dont even bother, just tell him how come Ford, GM and chrysler are having money problems and are laying off a lot of workers huh? Ask him how come ford cant make a decent car which makes sense and that people like.

Gm ? should I keep on going. 3.3 billion dollar lawsuit... Enough said, let him buy another american car so at least it helps out this country of ours.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Wild for Width

^^^ Not that I don't love Nissan but ummm when all of our 4th gens were made they were deep in the red......
Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh yeah, you already know about this kid...ha

Well Ive pretty much already told him to **** off until he stops being ignorant. Anyways, now I just have one question, the z06 vid...does any one know if its legit or not? I mean, Its beleiveable to me.
go to the track videos on vqpower and show him some of the times that some of our cars ran... you cant argue with drag racing videos which show the 1/4 mile times... the first video on there is my car vs a 350z... and i beat his ***... and he could drive too, the 350z ran a 13.7, very respectable time for being stock. But it still didn't beat my 13.2
Old 03-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Tell him he is right and when his Ford breaks down tell him not to call you because you will already have new friends.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:24 PM
be the change u want2C

those are the kinna kids i love to line up with at the drag strip
Old 03-29-2006, 05:33 PM

Give him a little taste of

And leave it at that...
Old 03-29-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pieps
Tell him to have his "exploder" go 140 and then start to talk. If he is complaining about speed and such, and how your car can't handle it, how come he doesn't have a car that he can back his claim up with?
No **** right, his exploder stops at 107...governed. ha.

Originally Posted by fr33way
And you feel like you need to have a pissing contest because?

He is a bench racer. Period.
I dont, He starts the arguements when I say something about my nissan beating another car, or when I race someone when hes in it.

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
ROFL explorer driver is educating a max owner about racing. tell him that u gonna upgrade to an explorer. btw is he still on them FiReStONeS ??
Yeah, go figure. Actually, funny enough, he ditched them for Michelins a month or so back.

Originally Posted by fr33way
Very. The car was Nealoc187's turbo.
Any way I can reach Nealoc187?

Originally Posted by SMX95
our cars are slow,

190hp 205 tq some real scary numbers there.

Dont even bother, just tell him how come Ford, GM and chrysler are having money problems and are laying off a lot of workers huh? Ask him how come ford cant make a decent car which makes sense and that people like.

Gm ? should I keep on going. 3.3 billion dollar lawsuit... Enough said, let him buy another american car so at least it helps out this country of ours.
Oh man, nice point, I never even thought about that issue.
Fr33way: what do you mean "in the red"? like having the same trouble as ford/gm/chrysler is having now?

Originally Posted by h2kFrosty
go to the track videos on vqpower and show him some of the times that some of our cars ran... you cant argue with drag racing videos which show the 1/4 mile times... the first video on there is my car vs a 350z... and i beat his ***... and he could drive too, the 350z ran a 13.7, very respectable time for being stock. But it still didn't beat my 13.2
Tried, he refuses to watch any videos after the Z06 vid, and denies that one. =/

Originally Posted by Armelius
Tell him he is right and when his Ford breaks down tell him not to call you because you will already have new friends.
Cause we all know how reliable Ford and Ford owners are, right?

Thanks a ton you guys, yall just reloaded me with some more ammo to throw at him because I know he cant keep his mouth shut at this point...
Old 03-29-2006, 06:03 PM

If he drives an explorer, you should be able to find enough stuff to run him straight into the ground. Show him some more of Nealoc's pwnage videos and some of the Chariot totally roasting up on some V8s at the track, with basically nothing but I/H/E and clutch. If he refuses to watch the videos and "calls BS" then beat the **** out of him--seriously, if he's going to argue and then refuse to watch obvious evidence then he's a worthless human being.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:05 PM

He just says all the videos arent worth watching because the sound and video itself are edited

Its absolute B.S.

Did I ever mention that after all his mouth running, he never races me anywhere, and uses the "gas" excuse, when I know damn well he has a shell gas card that he puts a good 100+dollars a week on
Old 03-29-2006, 06:09 PM

just deck him in the face and don't be friends with him anymore. waste of time. u could be using that time reading up more on the vq and mods
Old 03-29-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by kbmaxima
just deck him in the face and don't be friends with him anymore. waste of time. u could be using that time reading up more on the vq and mods
Normally, I would have been all over that and it would have been done already, but in the past hes been a really good freind and pretty reliable and trustworthy, and honestly, It hasnt been until I got the maxima that he actaully started this kinda **** with me. I dont know if he just turned into a *****, or if hes jealous, or what, but somethings up and its pissin me off.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:19 PM

ok, he may be pssing u off, and everyone is saying "deck him", but is it really that serious of a problem that ur gonna stop being friends with eachother....i thiink thats a little overboard to fight over "ur car isnt fast". Basically, dont worry bout it so much, just...talk **** bak and laugh about it...
Old 03-29-2006, 06:22 PM

ok, he may be pssing u off, and everyone is saying "deck him", but is it really that serious of a problem that ur gonna stop being friends with eachother....i thiink thats a little overboard to fight over "ur car isnt fast". Basically, dont worry bout it so much, just...talk **** bak and laugh about it...
Good point, but if the other kid's serious about it and is seriously clowning on him (something you can't brush off with a "whatever you say, explorer boy" and a laugh) then it's time to deck him.

And videotape it. Digitally.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:25 PM

Its not that hes saying my car isnt fast. Heres what the problem is

He drags the topic into everything, and tries to play on my nissan whenever he can. School, Work, chillin around, even at the tracks when he wont race me, hell still be like "yeah, but its just a camaro, my explorer could take you both". Everytime I talk about races, he goes "Youre car isnt built for that ****, get over it, you cant race". This is coming from the same guy who back when I had a turbo mazda, was begging to come racing with me. Also, with any conversation about acceleration, he always says "Ill win" and if anyone says "how?" he goes "Ill just run your import over with my explorer. hahaha"

Hes just being prickish about it and wont leave it alone at all anymore. Thats why its such a big problem.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:28 PM
vsamoylov

haha he drives a suv and second of all an exploder.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Team Ramrod

even at the tracks when he wont race me, hell still be like "yeah, but its just a camaro, my explorer could take you both". Everytime I talk about races, he goes "Youre car isnt built for that ****, get over it, you cant race".
Your friend sounds like a real ball-busting idiot. Just remind him how his suv isn't built to turn... at all.
Ill just run your import over with my explorer. hahaha"
It's an explorer, not a monster truck.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:39 PM

He is basically just using up all the oxygen in the world for a stupid cause. Tell him he is a retard and that he needs to get over it
Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
Your friend sounds like a real ball-busting idiot. Just remind him how his suv isn't built to turn... at all.
Hes convinced Ford has fixed the suspension problem and tries to take turns at 20...and then he wonders why his tires scratch when hes turning...golly gee.

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
It's an explorer, not a monster truck.
Exactly.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:18 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

well the car is not meant for racing, but it is a pretty quick car for it's age. but dont cry cause he is arguing with you, tell him he need to find some fact, and tell him that you need to find a life
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
well the car is not meant for racing, but it is a pretty quick car for it's age. but dont cry cause he is arguing with you, tell him he need to find some fact, and tell him that you need to find a life
I dont know if I misunderstood you, but did you mean tell him HE needs to get a life, or that I personally need to get a life?

Other wise I agree with you, its just a worthless little annoyance.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:43 PM

you should let him drive the max and see what he thinks
Old 03-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Wild for Width

Oh man, nice point, I never even thought about that issue.
Fr33way: what do you mean "in the red"? like having the same trouble as ford/gm/chrysler is having now?
I mean Nissan was LOSING money, not making money through the 90's.

The thing that is funny is that Nissan still kept production tolerances very tight for the time period and the cars themselves did not suffer.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way
I mean Nissan was LOSING money, not making money through the 90's.

The thing that is funny is that Nissan still kept production tolerances very tight for the time period and the cars themselves did not suffer.
Well obviously they did something right at that point because look where they are now.

Nissan is as good as it gets import/domestic wise.

Quick Reply: So Im in a very heated debate right now