4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 AM

Transmission issues

I woke up this morning to go and run some errands and my transmission seemed to be having some issues. When I shift into 3rd or 4th i dont get that knotchy feeling through the shifter. It feels almost like im pushing through sand. When the car is not moving I can shift into 1, 2, 5 and rev but its very hard to put the car in 3 or 4. When I am driving I can shift into 3rd and fourth but it takes a little extra push, and like I said it feels very odd, but there is no grinding like there would be with a bad syncro. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:03 PM
SLOW

The notchy feeling is the feeling you get from the shift detent ball and spring. Sounds like your 3/4 detent ball and spring fell out somehow, not sure why that would cause it to be hard to get into 3/4 though, I'd think it would just cause the weird feeling of it not "clicking" into place. Maybe you have a messed up hub or sleeve, I'd check for the detent ball first.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Maintenance Monster

The detente spring is definitely a possibility.

Another possibility is that your tranny bearings have begun to flake, and one of the metal flakes got lodged in the bore that the 3/4 shift rod slides. Once those things are galled up it will shift like crap.

Dave
Old 04-06-2006, 07:46 PM

thanks guys, thats about what I figured. Well it looks like Ill be tearing apart a tranny on my weekend off......
Old 04-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Yea change the gear oil in my 5 speed the other day out plops the spring and ball . I have hard shifts into 3 and 4 but no grinding . does anyone know of any good tranny swaps 5 or 6 speed ?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by blackonblue
Yea change the gear oil in my 5 speed the other day out plops the spring and ball . I have hard shifts into 3 and 4 but no grinding . does anyone know of any good tranny swaps 5 or 6 speed ?
Uh, did you put the ball and spring back in?

Next time try using the actual drain plug.

Dave
Old 04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

wtf? Did you just get under your car and chose some random *** bolt to drain the fluid from?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:07 PM

I used the drain plug to drain the gear oil and no i have not put it back in yet dont have the time or money ! I am looking for another trany cause this one is the original 5 speed and im pimpn with a quauter mill on the clock and its runing like a track star . Would it cause any sever damage with the shift deterant ball and spring out ? I dont dog my car it stays in pimp mode on highway and city . How hard would it be to put it in myself .
Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 PM

I used the drain plug to drain the gear oil and no i have not put it back in yet dont have the time or money ! I am looking for another trany cause this one is the original 5 speed and im pimpn with a quauter mill on the clock and its runing like a track star . Would it cause any sever damage with the shift deterant ball and spring out ? I dont dog my car it stays in pimp mode on highway and city . How hard would it be to put it in myself .
if the ball and spring came out, you didnt use the drain plug, you used another screw in the transmission. not having the detent ball and spring can cause you to not fully pull out of 3rd or 4th gear, i once rebuilt my transmission on my old max and forgot that on my transmission, though i forget which shift rod it was for. when i would go into reverse, it wouldnt go, then i would try to shift into other gears and the lever would be locked in place, and the car stuck in second gear. pulling a transmission could be the hardest thing in your life, or it could be relatively easy, despending on how mechanically inclined you are + your experience. after pulling my transmission 3 times on my 3rd gen, its now as easy as changing my oil, just alot more time consuming, thought i wonder how much different it is on the 4th gen, i dont really want to find out anytime soon since ive been so busy lately.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:56 PM

Well it might not of been the right plug but non the less it was a plug that drained my gear oil lol. The book didnt have a pic diagram for me to follow and I know its the flat head bolt on the very bottom but it wasent comeing off even with a impact driver so i did what was needed to get the job done . For know though I'll have to chace it till I find either another 5 speed or a dare I say 6 speed {if possable} . Does anyone know of a 6 speed that will bolt up ?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:02 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

omg just stop working on your car now and just take it to a mechanic.

your asking about putting in a trans yourself and you cant even find the tranny drain bolt? the propper drain bolt is on the bottom side of the tranny, it faces horizontally, it is not on the very bottom.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Dude not eveyone can be so inclined as you thats why theres places like this to help ppl like me out . And I was askn if I could do it myself not sayn I'm attemtn to do it . I am a parts chager not a machanic .
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 AM
No more Maximas...

First, shift detent - it's not there to keep you from shifting, heh.

Second, take out the bolt for the shift detent ball/spring, put them in, torque the bolt back in, see if it stays in.

As far as a 6 speed swap, search around...possible, but a ****load of custom work including mounts, shifter linkage, etc. If it just bolted up, don't you think more people would have it?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:29 PM

Thanks dude you've been alot of help