4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

---===car Problems...plz Help===---

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 07:47 AM
tha_kwak

Over the past month I have had a debilitating problem with my power window/ power doorlock console on the driver's side.
1) The problem is that it just STOPS functioning. I mean I cannot do any of the windows or the Lock-All-Door button, yet the LED's still glow in the switches.
May be a couple days or even a couple Hours after they stop functioning, they suddenly start working again!!
What is going on? Could it be the LCU or the ECU??
2) One more problem. The left-side trunk light does not initiate the 27watt filament when breaking, but rather only lights up the 8 watt filament. What is the problem? I even tried changing the bulb.
3) Oh yes, ONE MORE. I accidentally touched the 2 metal connectors in the driver's side door step light, and it shorted. I checked the fuses, but they are all good. The passenger's side works great. I tried changing the bulbs and even tested the harness, but they are both fine. Could it be the LCU or the Wiring??

If anyone can help, plz post replies.

Old 06-14-2001, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by tha_kwak
1) The problem is that it just STOPS functioning. I mean I cannot do any of the windows or the Lock-All-Door button, yet the LED's still glow in the switches.
May be a couple days or even a couple Hours after they stop functioning, they suddenly start working again!!
What is going on? Could it be the LCU or the ECU??
It's not the Engine Control Module. The ECM is responsible for engine operation. The Body Control Module and its five connected Local Control Units are responsible for operating the power windows, door locks, trunk release, etc.

Local Control Unit 01 is located inside the driver's door. It contains the Power Window Main Switch. LCU01 may be bad, or there may be a broken wire connected to it. Every time the driver's door opens and closes the harness which connects it to the car body is flexed and it is possible for the stranded metal wire to develop a break inside the insulation. Next time the windows won't work, open the door and try again. If they still won't work, keep pressure on the window button with one hand while you flex the harness with the other. If the window suddenly comes to life you may have a broken wire. If it stays "dead" you may have a bad PW Main Switch. Some owners have been able to pry open these switches and repair them, but that takes time, patience, and a delicate touch.

2) ... The left-side trunk light does not initiate the 27watt filament when breaking, but rather only lights up the 8 watt filament. What is the problem? I even tried changing the bulb.
Raise the trunk lid. Have an assistant step on the brake. Backprobe the Red/Green wire with a voltmeter or test lamp. If it is "hot" the problem is the bulb, bulb socket, or a bad ground. If it is not "hot" you will have to trace the circuit all the way back to the stop lamp switch under the dashboard.

3) ... I accidentally touched the 2 metal connectors in the driver's side door step light, and it shorted. I checked the fuses, but they are all good. The passenger's side works great. I tried changing the bulbs and even tested the harness, but they are both fine. Could it be the LCU or the Wiring??
The driver's step light receives 12 volts at all times. Power comes through the same fuse which serves the passenger side step lamp, so it is not a blown fuse. The ground side of the circuit is completed through terminal 16 of the Driver Door Control Unit (Local Control Unit 01). Your symptoms suggest that LCU01 is "fried".