4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tires and clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 08:01 PM

O.K. Just bought a '97 SE with a 5-speed about a month ago. I've noticed a little squealing from the clutch. I' assuming that the Throw-out bearing is worn. If I put some light pressure on the pedal, the squealing stops. Can this be cured with an adjustment or do I have to live with it as normal wear+tear?
Old 10-15-2000, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by scrap-iron
O.K. Just bought a '97 SE with a 5-speed about a month ago. I've noticed a little squealing from the clutch. I' assuming that the Throw-out bearing is worn. If I put some light pressure on the pedal, the squealing stops. Can this be cured with an adjustment or do I have to live with it as normal wear+tear?
Something seems backwards here. A bad throw-out bearing (a/k/a clutch release bearing) emits a shrill squeal when your foot is on the clutch pedal and is otherwise silent. Are you certain this unlovely sound is coming from the clutch?
Old 10-15-2000, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Originally posted by scrap-iron
Something seems backwards here. A bad throw-out bearing (a/k/a clutch release bearing) emits a shrill squeal when your foot is on the clutch pedal and is otherwise silent. Are you certain this unlovely sound is coming from the clutch?
Well, I'm assuming I have a clutch-release bearing problem based on past experience. I used to drive an old Ford with the same problem. When I'm off the clutch, I can just barely hear a squeal. If I rest my foot on the pedal, The squeal stops. Now, I know this max ain't no ford, but The ford dealer changed the throw out and I had no further problems. You've gotta work with me here. I've been driving crappy domestics all my life.
Old 10-15-2000, 06:31 PM

Well, I'm assuming I have a clutch-release bearing problem based on past experience. I used to drive an old Ford with the same problem. When I'm off the clutch, I can just barely hear a squeal. If I rest my foot on the pedal, The squeal stops. Now, I know this max ain't no ford, but The ford dealer changed the throw out and I had no further problems. You've gotta work with me here. I've been driving crappy domestics all my life.
The cluch release bearing in your old Ford is remarkably similar to the one in your 4th Generation Maxima in construction and operation.

The clutch release bearing is (on most cars) a ball bearing which was packed with grease at the factory. If the clutch actuating mechanism is properly adjusted (some free play at the top of the pedal travel) the bearing doesn't turn at all when the pedal is all the way up. The bearing comes into contact with the clutch pressure plate fingers whenever the pedal is depressed more than the free play distance (approximately 0.5 inches). As soon as this happens, the bearing turns at engine RPM. A healthy clutch release bearing is soundless.

If the bearing is defective (degraded lubricant, damaged *****, etc.) there is no sound when the pedal is all the way up because the bearing is not turning. As soon as the driver steps on the clutch pedal a defective bearing shrieks. The pitch and loudness of the sound depends on just how seriously the bearing is damaged. Calling it a shriek, or a squeal, is a fair description.