4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Custom Enterprises Y-Pipe, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Custom Enterprises Y-Pipe, yes or no?

Hey guys,

I have a mostly stock 96 5spd SE, and I am replacing most all of the exhaust, as the car now has 140,000 miles on it, and I forsee it rusting through in the near future. I plan to put a stock replacement muffler, midpipe, and catalytic converter on, but I was considering going w/ the Custom Enterprises Y-Pipe instead of a stock replacement. What type of horsepower gain can I expect? I know their website claims like 12 horsepower I believe, but I didn't know if that was with aftermarket exhaust already in place, etc. Also, with everything else stock besides the Y-Pipe, how much louder would the car be? I want to maintain a mostly stock sound, as I drive this thing A LOT. Let me know your thoughts.

P.S. Yes I did read the sticky on Exhaust sounds, so don't flame me for that.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:51 PM
scoobystoned...

ive heard with an aftermarket intake, any aftermarket y pipe will give you gains of up to 20 hp and maybe even more with a custom exhaust. im gettin a warpspeed y pipe very soon. i already have an HAI. hopefully ill get good gains.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:40 PM

Don't get it from CE, too expensive, get it from Budget or RedlineMax (Warpspeed). It would not be too loud with stock exhaust and muffler.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:54 PM

From what I have heard, those Y-Pipes give that bee buzzing sound under acceleration, and I definitely don't want that. Am I mistaken?
Old 04-14-2006, 04:14 PM

yes u are somewhat.there are some cases of that but most likely the company works with you on that.i say go with budget.cool customer service and fast shippping and cheap as all H@ll
Old 04-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
yes u are somewhat.there are some cases of that but most likely the company works with you on that.i say go with budget.cool customer service and fast shippping and cheap as all H@ll
How much is the Budget Y-Pipe? What exactly do you mean they "work with you on that", because if I have to install this thing and then screw around w/ it after, im probably not gonna be happy. I still have not heard from anybody as to what kind of sound a stock exhaust w/ a CE Y-Pipe would sound like. Anyone?
Old 04-15-2006, 12:17 AM

budget is about 170.00USD for aluminized and like 190.00USD for SS.what i mean by work with you.is if there is buzzing call them and tell them what going on.me personally i have i have long a$$ resonator so that shuold take care of it with me.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:15 AM

I still don't know if I'm sold on the Budget Y-Pipe or not, because I really am about driveability, and if there is a chance my car is going to make an annoying noise after installation, there is a good chance I'm gonna be pissed. Either way, where would I purchase the Budget Y-Pipe if that is the direction I decide to go? Also, besides the price, are there any other known downfalls to the CE Y-Pipe? Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:52 AM

CE's pipe is SS, good quality. I have one and so far very happy with it.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM

Unless somebody gives me a good reason to do otherwise, I'm leanin' towards the CE Y-Pipe, because I'm definitely willing to spend another $100.00 for superior quality and driveability. Any other thoughts you guys?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 AM

I had a CE y on my last max and full custom exhaust, near redline it made some buzzing but most of the time was a nice sound. The power gain and mpg gain (if you stay off the gas) is worth the louder sound. Also from what I've read on here Cattman is a good bet if your not too worried about money.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 AM
the Light is among you

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
budget is about 170.00USD for aluminized and like 190.00USD for SS.what i mean by work with you.is if there is buzzing call them and tell them what going on.me personally i have i have long a$$ resonator so that shuold take care of it with me.
Wishful thinking, based on current US to Canadian rates it'll be about $225 for a SS one from Budget.

Btw, I was going to order the SS one today, but I have tried calling both numbers on the LSS Exhaust (Budget) website today and keep getting the friggin' fax noise. wtf?

Anyone have a different number for them that works?

Thread hijack
Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM
the Light is among you

End to thread hijack.

Was able to get through and place my order for the SS Budget pipe.

Total price based on current exchange rates:

Pipe $225.60
Ship $22.55

For a total of $248.15

So based on current rates Budget isn't as "budget" as it used to be.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:06 AM

im pritty happy with myne. got a group deal on it. there is a rasp sound with myne tho, but it doenst matter because the stillen exuast i have is loud as is. make sure to get stainless steel and mabe CALL budget or CALL warpspeed.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Nick@CE.COM

When we made the SS Y-pipe our biggest thing was making sure it did not have the Buzzing. We have a lot of people who have had this Y-pipe for a long time and has no issues with them.

Also remember we are running the DYNO SPECIAL so you can get a high flow cat also for $349 shipped!

Any questions please let me know!
~Nick

Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
the Light is among you

Originally Posted by Nick@CE.COM
When we made the SS Y-pipe our biggest thing was making sure it did not have the Buzzing. We have a lot of people who have had this Y-pipe for a long time and has no issues with them.

Also remember we are running the DYNO SPECIAL so you can get a high flow cat also for $349 shipped!

Any questions please let me know!
~Nick

Are you telling me I could have purchased a Cattman SS Ypipe AND High Flow Cat for 349 shipped?

I hope that's not what you're saying.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:03 PM
RKZ

I want to order a Cattman Y-pipe soon but i was wondering do their y-pipes really eliminate the bees in a can? and are the Cattmans y-pipe street legal because i keep reading "not intended for public roads"?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Org Lurker

I had the CE Y-pipe with a "high flow" CAT and stock catback for several months and it really didn't change the sound all that much. It did make it deeper and slightly throatier but absolutely no "bees in a can" sound what-so-ever.

I now have a Cattman catback with the same y-pipe and cat and I have to say its exactly the sound I was looking for. Very very minimal bees in a can sound at very high RPMs but throughout most of the RPM range its deep, aggressive and overall makes a nice note. CE is more expensive than others and other than a fitment issue I had with my first unit (which was replaced) it went in without a hitch and still looks great. Their customer service reps will work with you through any problems you might encounter. it was easy for me to return my first piece as I'm only about 1.5 hours drive away from them. I would recommend their y-pipes.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RKZ
I want to order a Cattman Y-pipe soon but i was wondering do their y-pipes really eliminate the bees in a can? and are the Cattmans y-pipe street legal because i keep reading "not intended for public roads"?

Y pipes are not street legal. The reason they make a lot of power is it removes the 2 precats in the pipe.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM

I have a question for you guys, are all or most of the y pipes just bolt on. I am considering gettting one in the coming months when I install my cold air intake which I just brought. Also does anyone know where I can get a template to cut the hole for the cold air intake, the guy who I brought it from sent me a piece of crap with rusty bolts, no instructions, and water stains on certain sections of the intake pipe. It's a bomz racing CAI.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BumbleB80
Also does anyone know where I can get a template to cut the hole for the cold air intake, the guy who I brought it from sent me a piece of crap with rusty bolts, no instructions, and water stains on certain sections of the intake pipe. It's a bomz racing CAI.
you get what you pay for...

clean it up and put a K&N

and by the way NO Y PIPE IS LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!! in any state that does emissions. but they do make for a happier VQ30