4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone Have A Funtional Hood Scoop????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Bacon Lover

Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Old Maxima Legend

hold up ? i see a filter behind there ? got an engine bay shot ? explain

also i see you did some clearance light modding/melting , lol ! with this setup we should just but another clearance light and do a cut sorta like that and fill it with some sort of mess grill ! lol
Old 04-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
hold up ? i see a filter behind there ? got an engine bay shot ? explain

Ask and you shall recieve
Old 04-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
350z Intake Manifold

Yes, if all of you who are criticizing vsamoylov would check out the advanced performance forums you would see that he has made quite an accomplishment in swapping not only the VQ35 but also the 350Z IM. I give him mad props for the setup.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Old Maxima Legend

tatanko nicely done, now i have no idea what you are using to get it there, lol but looks tight. are you happy with this setup versus any other setups youve had
Old 04-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Bacon Lover

tatanko nicely done, now i have no idea what you are using to get it there, lol but looks tight. are you happy with this setup versus any other setups youve had
I've only had experience with stock, this setup, and an open filter in place of the air box (still with a stock resonator). Compared to stock it sounds a little nicer (even though I ran without intake silencers or a snorkel when I was stock), and compared to just the open filter the throttle response is much better. Overall, it's kind of like having all the good qualities of a modified stock intake on a cold day....just all the time, not only on cold days; and none of the bad parts. I didn't see any gain in top end, but didn't notice any loss either.

I plan to alter that setup a little bit, but only to get rid of the 90º bend (and likely replace it with a 45º bend). Otherwise, it'll remain pretty much the same. I'm happy with it...it sounds good and gets the job done and doesn't look terrible, either.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:37 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Litowcas

WOW, that thing looks plain UGLY!...ruined a perfectly good hood. Also how much gains does it actually provide u? 1-2hp? And what about the rain getting inside the engine compartment?..... I think Ceasar's set up is the smartest one, when u on the track just take the corner light off and you are good to go.

again, you're completely missing the point of the mod. The hoodscoop is a byproduct of the 350z IM in the car. My hood will look similar when i'm done with it.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Droppin logs

no fitment issues. the thing is flat with the hood.

Maybe it's just the pic but it looks like there is an uneven gap.

There's been a little bit of hating going on in this thread for asthetic reasons but I certainly appreciate it's use in order to fit the 350Z IM.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by tavarish
again, you're completely missing the point of the mod. The hoodscoop is a byproduct of the 350z IM in the car. My hood will look similar when i'm done with it.
How's the swap coming along?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:02 PM

hey at least he's being an individual and making his ride different, although it would have been better if the scoop actually served a function...
Old 04-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by ethnic6
hey at least he's being an individual and making his ride different, although it would have been better if the scoop actually served a function...
It does have a function... to cover the hole in his hood.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ethnic6
I huge scoop like that for a huge hole in the hood....

why people want to make their car like another car ?

i prefer the small scoop the gives air not just an open hole...
Old 04-15-2006, 11:23 PM

because its called individuality... I kind of get bored when I park my car and see that it looks the same as all the other 5 that is parked in the same lot... some people just want to make their cars "theirs"
Old 04-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
Yes, if all of you who are criticizing vsamoylov would check out the advanced performance forums you would see that he has made quite an accomplishment in swapping not only the VQ35 but also the 350Z IM. I give him mad props for the setup.
yeahh...sry for critisizing, even though looks ugly it serves a purpose... isnt there any hoods for maxima that would fit 350z IM without having to cut it up to pieces though?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Bacon Lover

Some of you are trying to defend Vasily with the whole "individuality" thing...that definitely has nothing to do with why his hood scoop is there. If it weren't for the IM, the hood scoop would not be on the car. It's out of necessity, not because he wants his car to look "different."

Sorry, it just bugs me. You continue to say this even after it's been stated it's function-only.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Some of you are trying to defend Vasily with the whole "individuality" thing...that definitely has nothing to do with why his hood scoop is there. If it weren't for the IM, the hood scoop would not be on the car. It's out of necessity, not because he wants his car to look "different."

Sorry, it just bugs me. You continue to say this even after it's been stated it's function-only.

i dont see why we should defent people that mods for look not to improve something else. anyways thats only my 2cents it's a free country do what YOU like.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:59 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by mike420
i dont see why we should defent people that mods for look not to improve something else. anyways thats only my 2cents it's a free country do what YOU like.
No one is defending looks-only mods here I'm defending everyone from flaming Vasily, because his scoop has a purpose.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Project Ruby......

While the scoop doesn't look astheticly pleasing. You do what you gotta do to run the Z manifold!!!

Congrats Vsamoylov.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 AM
vsamoylov

thanks everybody. Some people only care about looks. Kinda like all show and no go at all but i am not going to go into that either. You have to do what you have to do even if people dont like it.

Now the pic is missleading because the hood scoop is flat. I also used weather stripping underneath to keep the water out.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:50 AM

this kinda goes back to the ol stock vs cai. that setup doesn't seem as long as like an injen or bomz cai. how does it compare to those and stock? i would still guess it be kinda laggy in the low ends than stock
Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 PM

Hey Ceasar, Tatanko's idea might improve your design. You can make a custom midpipe with the proper bend you wish to have and then another pipe that would put your air filter as close to the driverside clearance light as possible. For the piping, go with a 3" SS exhaust pipe and have it mandrel bent. Any exhaust shop could do this, just give them the specs and they should be able to do it. Then for the midpipe, you can probably get something from a hardware store that will take the place of the two nipples that hook up to the rubber lines for the valve covers. Just an idea that might be worth trying.

well you know i have had several intake setups. i think i was most unhappy with the injen intake, the car used to even ping when i used it, and the piping was always so darn hot.

i ended up going back to a frankencar setup and started racing in the allmotor class over here. all of the honda all motor guys remove their headlights and after looking at their engines, they were always designed so that the filter was sitting right behind a headlight, which was much better than what i have setup.

but that is where i thought hey, this is simple to do and while it may not help, i just dont see how it could hurt ? the filter sits away from most of the heat and with the open space i have in that area of the engine bay, what air that does flows in, flows right up under that fuse box. So again I may not be getting any sort of gain with this setup but i am most happy with it. still feeling like hey it cant hurt !

also with this k&n extreme flow filter i have that extra top part to suck in some air too.

with a setup like this, its to bad we cant use a midpipe setup and have the midpipe angled in the direction of the headlight/clearance light. maybe some custom fabwork could be done to get the filter to sit right on top of the odyessy battery because the piping is higher and would run over the top of the battery. so who knows ?

photos

Old 04-16-2006, 02:41 PM

that is very restrictive. why didnt you just buy the fake pr intake off ebay??? Its got 3 inch piping and can occupy a bigger filter.

What you got now is a...looks like 2.5 or 2 inch piping and a tiny filter and a tiny hole feeding it air. Very restrictive.

photos

the air is not gonna travel in the direction you say it will. Yes there is an opening but chemistry says it wont go in...why you ask.

PV=nRT

this is pressure x volume = n(moles of oxygen in this case) x R(as constant) x temperature

now...since air outside is lower than inside the engine bay then temperature is lower. For this to happen pressure is lower.

So air outside is lower pressure than inside...which means air from outside is not going to go in.

once again the best intake is the fake pr intake from ebay...buy it and slap on a k&n filter on.

Its the best since it is not in the engine bay...it is behind the fog lamp. So it is directly able to suck in the colder outside air.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Droppin logs

Now the pic is missleading because the hood scoop is flat. I also used weather stripping underneath to keep the water out.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by g4nismo
this kinda goes back to the ol stock vs cai. that setup doesn't seem as long as like an injen or bomz cai. how does it compare to those and stock? i would still guess it be kinda laggy in the low ends than stock
Actually, the low end seems better. This seems to be the trend with CAIs. The top end wasn't really affected with my setup, though. It's just as driveable as stock, if not better.
Originally Posted by jvelos3
that is very restrictive. why didnt you just buy the fake pr intake off ebay??? Its got 3 inch piping and can occupy a bigger filter.

What you got now is a...looks like 2.5 or 2 inch piping and a tiny filter and a tiny hole feeding it air. Very restrictive.
Why didn't I buy the PR CAI? Because I wanted to try something different. The filter size has nothing to do with the piping size, either. The filter is that size because it's all that fits. It's also deceptive in the pictures, because it looks much smaller than it really is. Besides, why do you need a filter that's like 3x the size of the intake piping?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:47 PM
kormax97

the air is not gonna travel in the direction you say it will. Yes there is an opening but chemistry says it wont go in...why you ask.

PV=nRT

this is pressure x volume = n(moles of oxygen in this case) x R(as constant) x temperature

now...since air outside is lower than inside the engine bay then temperature is lower. For this to happen pressure is lower.

So air outside is lower pressure than inside...which means air from outside is not going to go in.
oh really?

so going 90~100mph down a straightaway won't let any cool air in the engine bay through that hole?

Old 04-16-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by kormax97
oh really?

so going 90~100mph down a straightaway won't let any cool air in the engine bay through that hole?
I second this, clearly this guy aint a physics major. Doin 40 mph will allow air to enter the engine bay.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Old Maxima Legend

yeah, well im not smart enough to know. maybe it is much like putting peanut butter on your face to get rid of acne ? who knows? lol ! i also have the foglights out as well, which seems to allow some more air to flow in the direction of the engine. and again dont know where the air is going ? if any air does come through that hole during a 1/4 mile pass, maybe it cools the engine a little but not enough to make a difference.

as for as the hood scoop, we have such a large forum population with such different views on the maxima. we have performance guys, show guys, the 4 door luxury crew, and so on. one thing is for sure you cannot please everyone in this forum or in the world. you can only do what you can for whatever reason you need a mod.

i used to have a carbon fiberhood, i didnt think it looked to hot on the car honestly but it was for weight reduction, but i certainly like what the Big V is doing, if i had a 4th gen with a vq35de and 350z IM , i would gladly toss the hood scoop or do what i could to get it to work. heck im still rolling with that nasty sarona rear that acts as some sort of parachute, really need to do something about that.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Old Maxima Legend

almost forgot on my pulsar they have a small rubber/plastic like pipe that sits in the engine bay to direct airflow, i should try working on getting on out of a junker and seeing if i cant mount it, to where the clearance light opening is. will run get a photo.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Old Maxima Legend

its just a plastic piece of piping, that from the shape and size of things would funnel the air more to the intake area. but if the outside air is not coming into the car then maybe this would be useless, but then you wonder why on earth would nissan have this in the car ?

i think i would have to relocate that fuse box but minus that i have the room.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:01 PM

I have ran a forced induction {homemade} channal to allow better flow I' ll post pics later close to ceasers but on the other side of the battery . I have a rectangle scoop hiddin in the front bumber to start the airflow up a pipe to a cone filter in a heat box I think it works better than expected .
Old 04-16-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by kormax97
oh really?

That is true but which spot will allow more air at 90~100mph that little 3x3 inch hole or the foglight hole???

and also the fact is that there is higher pressure in the engine bay than the outside...why not get the air from a different compartment...behind the foglight which will have equal air pressure as outisde???

and how long are you going 90~100mph in a quarter mile??? How about off the line or at lower speeds??

The fact is that the pr intake is better...it separates the intake from the engine bay and it has a large opening for air to be rammed into. All the air being rammed in goes straight to the intake...it is stopped by the wheel well where the intake filter is at.

its just a plastic piece of piping, that from the shape and size of things would funnel the air more to the intake area. but if the outside air is not coming into the car then maybe this would be useless, but then you wonder why on earth would nissan have this in the car ?

I like this idea a lot. It would allow the air from the outside direct flow into the intake. The vaccuum formed by the intake would allow the air from outside to freely go in.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:37 PM

To prove that he has no clue what he's talking about, he called it chemistry instead of physics. What does chemistry have to do with airflow? And for anything to develop pressure, it would have to be completely sealed. The engine bay is not a sealed compartment.

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
I second this, clearly this guy aint a physics major. Doin 40 mph will allow air to enter the engine bay.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:51 PM

This is similar to what I have been running on for the last 9 months.

I kept the snorkel on but disconnected the elbow from the resonator below the battery tray and sealed off the hole that is open on the snorkel when the elbow was removed. What I am planning on doing next is removing the snorkel. Then cutting a hole into the resonator below the battery and into the metal panel in which it is connected to. Then I will use a heater hose to connect the resonator to the airbox using the orginal location where the snorkel was connected. This will allow more cool air to enter from the same compartment where the PR air filter sits in.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

Originally Posted by DR-Max
To prove that he has no clue what he's talking about, he called it chemistry instead of physics. What does chemistry have to do with airflow? And for anything to develop pressure, it would have to be completely sealed. The engine bay is not a sealed compartment.
Post ***** FTW!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:07 AM

looks like it came of the trail next to an evo or sti
Old 04-17-2006, 09:24 AM

Regardless of pressure (because as already stated it isn't going to change unless the engine was sealed and it isn't) the purpose of the removal of the headlight or clearance light is to allow more outside air enter into the engine bay allowing the intake to have a better chance of sucking in cooler air, not so much that it increases hp but it will help the car to run at it's best because of sucking in more of the cooler air. While putting in tubing that goes directly to the intake will help, it's not going to make a dramatic difference because that is not the only location that the intake is pulling in air. The removal of the headlight or clearance light will act just the same. To create a truly beneficial intake would have to be the shortest distance and only from air out side of the engine bay. But cosmetically that would look ugly.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:48 AM
kormax97

That is true but which spot will allow more air at 90~100mph that little 3x3 inch hole or the foglight hole???

and also the fact is that there is higher pressure in the engine bay than the outside...why not get the air from a different compartment...behind the foglight which will have equal air pressure as outisde???

and how long are you going 90~100mph in a quarter mile??? How about off the line or at lower speeds??
WOW

Even going 10mph (off the line) will have air going through that hole. You must be on crack if you think there will be some kind of invisible shield of pressure that won't let any air in through that hole, Mr. Chemistry.

You keep saying it's better to get air through the fog light. How do you get the intake filter to be behind the fog lights? You mean the injen kind which sits right behind the radiator?
Originally Posted by hacim105
Regardless of pressure (because as already stated it isn't going to change unless the engine was sealed and it isn't) the purpose of the removal of the headlight or clearance light is to allow more outside air enter into the engine bay allowing the intake to have a better chance of sucking in cooler air, not so much that it increases hp but it will help the car to run at it's best because of sucking in more of the cooler air. While putting in tubing that goes directly to the intake will help, it's not going to make a dramatic difference because that is not the only location that the intake is pulling in air. The removal of the headlight or clearance light will act just the same. To create a truly beneficial intake would have to be the shortest distance and only from air out side of the engine bay. But cosmetically that would look ugly.

Here's a good setup... picture taken from Jime.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=jvelos3]That is true but which spot will allow more air at 90~100mph that little 3x3 inch hole or the foglight hole???

The fact is that the pr intake is better...it separates the intake from the engine bay and it has a large opening for air to be rammed into. All the air being rammed in goes straight to the intake...it is stopped by the wheel well where the intake filter is at.

Hey smartass.....before you go off trying to prove people incorrect with your PV-nRT ****, learn about what an equation REALLY is. In case you're still scratching your head and wondering, it represents an EQUILIBRIUM between the terms on either side of the = sign. Going 90, 40 or even 10 mph will distrupt this equilibrium, a case which actually cannot even be applied to the engine bay because, as someone said, it's not a sealed comaprtment. Keep studying up on your physics, chemistry whatever there, youngin'
Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Could've done it without the hood scoop like Nismo
Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 AM
What was that?

PV=nRT

once again the best intake is the fake pr intake from ebay...buy it and slap on a k&n filter on.

Its the best since it is not in the engine bay...it is behind the fog lamp. So it is directly able to suck in the colder outside air.
You are assuming that this is an ideal gas. Not a very accurate assumption. There are also other things that need to be taken into account here, way too many to list. I don't think this setup can hurt the performance, although it might not help. I guess a dyno would be the only way to tell.

Quick Reply: Anyone Have A Funtional Hood Scoop????