4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

transmission noise

When my car is completly stoped and in neutral there is a noise that is coming from the transmission. the best way I can describe the sound is that of a really loud intake. It is there throughout all the gears and changes pitch slightly as the RPMs increase. But if I am stopped and press the clutch in it goes away. I believe it may be a bearing (possiably a throughout bearing). The car shifts fine adn drives perfect, but just has this noise. Any ideas?

Paul

p.s. I just installed a B&M shifter and it amplified the noise. It was there with the stock one but not nearly as loud. Also, if you put preasure on the shifter when it is in a gear (by pressing right or left on it) the noise gets louder.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:25 AM
SLOW

It is your input shaft bearing. Unfortunately it is a very common problem. Throwout bearing would have the opposite symptoms, it would make noise while your foot is on the clutch but not when your clutch pedal is out.

Fixing it is going to require transmission removal and partial disassembly. You could be looking at anywhere from $600-$1500 depending where you take it. If you can do all the work yourself the bearing is like $30 but it's not something most people are willing or able to do - it can be done though.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:40 AM

im not afraid to fix it myself, I have done complete overhauls on my SER trany. I just need the dealer instructions as far as the torque specs and such.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:49 AM

if i dont fix it for awhile will it harm anything other than being really annoying? I put alot of miles on my car (about 3000-4000 a month).
Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 AM
SLOW

It's good that you can do the work yourself, that will save you a big chunk of change.

Originally Posted by sergofast
if i dont fix it for awhile will it harm anything other than being really annoying? I put alot of miles on my car (about 3000-4000 a month).

Well that's debatable. I have NEVER heard of anyone with a maxima breaking a gear or causing other similar problems by waiting to fix the problem. On the other hand, it is concievable that you COULD cause a problem because the worn out bearing will allow more shaft movement than there is supposed to be, which could tip load the gear teeth and cause breakage, or cause severe enough abnormal wear to require gear or shaft replacement. But like I said I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that.

What WILL happen after a while though is that the input bearing will get so shot that the input shaft seal will no longer seal, and your gear oil will start draining out the bell housing, obviously letting your gear oil level get low is not the sweetest idea, and it could possibly cause problems with your clutch if it gets on it, perhaps even ruining the clutch.

I'd fix it as soon as you can, but if the noise has just started recently there's nothing saying you have to fix it this week or anything like that.

The torque specs are in the FSM obviously. If you don't have one then PM me.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:05 AM
SLOW

Just want to add something. The reason I even mention the tip loading/gear breakage thing is that I'd hate for it to happen to you if I told you it wasn't "possible" but honestly I think the chances of it happening are very remote and that isn't something I'd worry about that much - but anything is possible of course. I'd be more worried about the fluid loss/clutch issue occurring honestly.